Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Izhcvsk followed me home!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default An Izhcvsk followed me home!

Dunhams put their 91/30 back on sale for $99.95 so I went over and bought another project rifle.

This one is a 1943 middle of the war model and it shows it! Machining is rough, stampings are blurred but the action seems very smooth.

These were so coated in cosmo that I really could not tell much about the condition of the bore until I got home. I practically had to hammer the cleaning rod through the bore and ruined a brass 30 cal brush in the scrubbing. I finally got it to stop coming out green and gooy brown and found I had a fairly bright bore with smooth lands and slightly frosty groves.

It is counterbored for about two inches. We will have to see how that affects the accuracy. As long as they did a good job it should not be a real concern. My plan is to cut down the barrel anyway.

I have not started on cleaning the bolt or receiver, but it is heavily coated and needs a good soaking in whatever. I think I have some paint thinner here somewhere.

The stock is better than the one on my scoped rifle so I may change them out since this rifle is destained for the chop and crop.

This one will be a scout rifle and a permenant part of the Jeep hardware. Hunting season is almost upon us.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I saw their ad......good thing I was busy...LOL....still need a extended eye relief scope, have the mount, then I can get to the Bubba special.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The NcStar site is the place to go. The 2-7 variable @ $50 is about the best buy on the market. I had one on mine and it held zero well. The clicks were about two for one though so when you adjust count that in. Their 2x fixed power is a good scope too. I have one of each. I simply like the variable on the M/N because I know the potential of the rifle.

http://www.nstar-sales.com/products.asp?cat=11870

When you install that mount locktite the screws and make sure the mount is not rocking. I have been on several forums where they were bad mouthing the foreward mount because it was "unstable". I always wonder unstable compared to what? Did you lock down the fore and aft screws, did you tourque in the side screws? Those mounts are built like a tank, how can they wobble if you install them right?

Heard the same thing, but i am aware that what ever you come up with is considered "crap"....then they start rattling off all the custom work they had done.......amkes me wonder if they even tried it or just arm chair nay-sayers.

I do where a sniper model with factory side mount (looks like it anyway), but no scope,.....and a severely bent or converted, bolt, thinking it has been welded and modified.

Was in carbine length and had a receiver marked 1953....I was on a quest for 38/55 ammo and brass so passed on it....

Dunhams ad said "factory laminated stock", didn't know they were factory?

Laminated stocks were used because they held up better in extreme cold temperatures. That's a desirable feature.

I guess I just figured they were re-fits.....Thanks.

91/30 for $100 on sale? I see them for $80-$90 regular price all the time. Why so much more south of the River?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Aim surplus has them for $89.95, but they charge $24 for the background check, 6.5% tax and it costs me $20 to drive up there. That comes to $135.

Any other place I would have to pay shipping and transfer fee. That is an instant $45 added to what looks like a low price.

At Buds I would not have to pay any of that but their price is $130 +tax.

Dunhams is cheapist around here and they have a rack full to pick from. I got out for $109 but that included a box of 12 ga slugs. They had the slugs on sale for $3.49 a box. You can't beat that!

Almost all the 91/30 being sold are comming through Century Arms so the pickings are all the same, only the price differs and they are all paying the same price.

20 years ago I was offering 91/30 rifles for $30 and could not sell them. Type 53 Chinese carbines were $25 and they were new unfired. You absolutely could not give them away. But back then you could still buy Mausers for $50 and .308 converted Enfields were $100.

Gotya, makes sense! Wish I was able to hop on mausers for 50, I have one that I have about 450 tied into. It is a mean old gun!

Good find on the slugs, btw.

I got it stripped and cleaned last night. Swapped wood with the old rifle The old rifle is a 1938 gun with much better machine work but the wood was poor. I had already cut that stock so I now have the good wood matched to the good metal.

Installed the LER mount and scope and got it bore sighted. Tomorrow is range day so I will finish the sight in at the real range. I want to see how it shoots in origional mode before I start trmming barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    91/30 for $100 on sale? I see them for $80-$90 regular price all the time. Why so much more south of the River?
    One must take pricing with the necessary BS that goes with it.....Cheaper prices on the interweb, but need to pay shipping, transfer fees, and you don't get to see what you are buying.

Different areas have different sales taxes, sales, specials, registration fees and such......

Don't be the guy that says, "You spent too much money, I can get it cheaper, (then reference a web site that has been out of stock for 5 or 6 years) ....or "I bought mine 50 years ago for $20 bucks".

Sorry, pet peeve

I get the same ad from Duhams, and the do have a selection, run the sales about every other month, sometimes were like 89.99, some times 99.00. some times 109......

Had the Dunhams ad with me at a show, saw a guy selling 91/30 for $149, boxes under that table had Dunhams label on them....stop by buy 6, go to the show, jack up the price, and make a few bucks....the American way.

Gander mountain has the $129 , some times $119 bucks...but only have one, or none.

In 1959 when I was 11 years old, I didn't know I needed one of these, bought a Savage 22 SS, bolt instead for $13 bucks.....but thats another story.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    One must take pricing with the necessary BS that goes with it.....Cheaper prices on the interweb, but need to pay shipping, transfer fees, and you don't get to see what you are buying.

Different areas have different sales taxes, sales, specials, registration fees and such......

Don't be the guy that says, "You spent too much money, I can get it cheaper, (then reference a web site that has been out of stock for 5 or 6 years) ....or "I bought mine 50 years ago for $20 bucks".

Sorry, pet peeve

I get the same ad from Duhams, and the do have a selection, run the sales about every other month, sometimes were like 89.99, some times 99.00. some times 109......

Had the Dunhams ad with me at a show, saw a guy selling 91/30 for $149, boxes under that table had Dunhams label on them....stop by buy 6, go to the show, jack up the price, and make a few bucks....the American way.

Gander mountain has the $129 , some times $119 bucks...but only have one, or none.
    Sorry, I wan't tryin to be "that guy". I know aim has them, but I didn't know that charge a fee to do a backround check. Southern Ohio Gun also has them, but as mentioned, have to transfer to FFL. The ones that I see out the door are usually at pawn shops and and occasional gun show. It is hard to say that he overpaid when we are talking a mere $10. I just didn't realize $100 was that difficult to come by in your area.

I kinda sorry as well, I came off a little harsh......It does grate me though, that there does always seems to be "that guy" and I don't think you are that guy........just pointing out a price.....

Pricing is relative to what you are getting, and what you have to go through to get it out the door.....some details seem to be left out when "That guy", makes a post like that......Kinda saying 'What a Dumas, I am smarter, luckier, than you are.

The same guy will always bring up some obscure caliber, when the discussion is on a specific gun, caliber, type of load......That has nothing to do with the OP.

Nagants are too much fun to play with,..... I was kinda out of line........Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I kinda sorry as well, I came off a little harsh......It does grate me though, that there does always seems to be "that guy" and I don't think you are that guy........just pointing out a price.....

Pricing is relative to what you are getting, and what you have to go through to get it out the door.....some details seem to be left out when "That guy", makes a post like that......Kinda saying 'What a Dumas, I am smarter, luckier, than you are.

The same guy will always bring up some obscure caliber, when the discussion is on a specific gun, caliber, type of load......That has nothing to do with the OP.

Nagants are too much fun to play with,..... I was kinda out of line........Sorry.
    No worries, friend! We all have moments when things come out a little off. Especially in typed conversation which excludes emotional signs that can be acknowledged when having verbal communication.

Back to the thread, any pics KyRat? I need ideas! Although the Mrs. might disagree.

At $100, or $129, a M/N 91-30 is an entertainment value.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Wholesale on those stupid things is now in the $150 range for excellent or very good on the Chinese model. The Ruskie is $100 to $110 on the very good and excellent so the prices will probably start climbing. That's from Century. Pick up a C&R license and you only have to pay the shipping on top of the purchase.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That old add really reminds me of "Ye Old Hunter" in the back of the Ameican Rifleman each month. Jut thinkng about it makes me all queezy.

I bought a Baretta pistol from YOH for $12.95 w/100 free rounds of ammo. Bought a '93 Mauser for $18 and started my affair with the 7mm.

If I remeber correctly Lee Harvy Oswald paid $20 for his Itralian sniper rifle complete w/scope and helped end those days for us. The knee jerk reaction to losing 2 Kennedys and MLK and it was all over.

That was an important lesson to me.

Just because YOU think something is a right does not mean EVERYONE thinks it is a right, interpretation of the constitution is based soley on media preasure, and Normalcy can be eliminated with the stroke of a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    That old add really reminds me of "Ye Old Hunter" in the back of the Ameican Rifleman each month. Jut thinkng about it makes me all queezy.

I bought a Baretta pistol from YOH for $12.95 w/100 free rounds of ammo. Bought a '93 Mauser for $18 and started my affair with the 7mm.

If I remeber correctly Lee Harvy Oswald paid $20 for his Itralian sniper rifle complete w/scope and helped end those days for us. The knee jerk reaction to losing 2 Kennedys and MLK and it was all over.

That was an important lesson to me.

Just because YOU think something is a right does not mean EVERYONE thinks it is a right, interpretation of the constitution is based soley on media preasure, and Normalcy can be eliminated with the stroke of a pen.
    I just wanted to be sure that everyone see's that part.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I just got back from the range. From the boresight I was only 4 inches off at 25 yards. Clicked it in for windage and up a hair over 1/2" @ 25 and shot a group at 25y with three shots touching, so the counterbored barrel is not hurting anything. That setting should put me zeroed at 250 yards, 3" high at 100 and 200 and about 4 low at 300. If not precise it will be close enough for work with surplus ammo.

I skipped the 100 and 200 yard targets and went straight to the 18" steel gong at 350 yards. Holding on the top edge of the gong I was ringing it like a bell, 5 shots without a miss.

I love it when a plan comes together!