Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "walk'about" Gun.........???????

20g singleshot nice light and easier compared to my 870

Hope you don't run into somebody that means you harm with your choice of walk about guns....especially if he decided to opt for the 870.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    What are the factor's that make a good Walk'about gun.

Let's be clear this is not a true "survival firearm", and not a perfect offensive or defensive firearm, not a true hunting firearm. It is a "Walk'about" gun.

I try to hike 5 miles per day. And it is interesting which firearms get to go along day after day. So what matters is: carry ability, To light is bad, to heavy is bad, to long is bad, and most important to large around the receiver is bad.

The firearm really needs to be in one of my hands, and not slung. And it needs to be carry able with only one hand, which rules out many otherwise good firearms, like the M-14. Can you hold it (M-14) in "one" hand for a few minutes, yes. Just try to hold it in "one" hand for only 10 minutes. It is a two hand carry or sling-it firearm. And this is the problem with scoped firearms as well.

The Old firearms like Flintlock's and most old style, very skinny diameter black powder firearms are very carry able. I can not have a flintlock for a carry gun, but a good center fire single shot, like the H&R makes a good choice.

Small receiver lever guns like the M-94 and M-92 and to a lesser extent the M-73 are easy to carry.

In a walk'about gun the energy, velocity, bullet weight are really not that important. How many cartridges it holds is not that important.

Other important factors are: is the mechinism simple, is it easy to clean, will it take the day after day abuse of falling, dropping, underwater, etc.

But to be a true walk'about gun, carry ability is the most important factor.

Bump for current digestion...........

If you don't mind a .22, I bought my son a ruger 10/22 carbine,I love the little thing!
    Less than 33 inches overall and weighs about 4lbs.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

I have not read all of the responses, but would think that a double barrel short shotgun would fit the need. Is as powerful as most would need. Compact, fairly low weight and easy to maintain. I just like keeping things simple
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

You do realize that if you keep this up Pal - I'm going to get a coach gun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh go ahead, crash....you deserve it.

In fact...while your at it, get you one of those Norinco lever 12 ga.'s!
    They're a ton of fun, carry well, and just look really cool!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Marlin or Win 30-30 carbine would be a top rifle caliber choice. Been "walking about" for about 125 yrs now and doing a great job of it. A handgun cartriage lever action would be equally applauded (.357 and .44 mag). A .357 leveraction with a 4" stainless steel .357 mag revolver to complement it would be comfortable to carry, utmost in versitility, and compact for the power level you get. Very little you can't do with that combo IMO. Best.

Blog Entries

glockcop, I agree with you. The guns I carry most while out in the bush are a Winchester M-94 .44 magnum and a 4" S&W 629 .44 magnum. Quite often I will switch out the Winchester for a Browning BL-22 lever action .22 lr.

With these combo's I can and have handled everything I've had to.

"By the way this thread could be moved to the gun section"
    Last edited by klkak; 01-25-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Klkak, good choice there, brother. Like I said, there ain't a whole lot you can't do with that sett up. Take care.

I think I mighta already posted here, but based on Sourdough's OP, and fulfilling every requirement of it, I'd say a break action rifle or shotgun, preferably shotgun in 12 gauge w' a modified or improved mod. choke. for the abuse and maintenance factor if nothing else.

Otherwise, I'd say a Ruger 10/22, Marlin model 60 .22LR, or a Remington 870 20 gauge.

All three are light, fairly dependable, don't have a sling or scope, and carry in one hand easily. I use them with extreme prejudice on anything that moves and tastes good. Out of the three I'd take the Marlin, actually mine's a Glenfield model 60 18 shot. It is the ultimate open sight rifle, but not as dependable, compact, or easy to maintain as the 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Go for it!!!!!!! For my use, it is more than adequate. As a matter of fact, I have an old one at a gun smith in upstate NY who is going to work to "regulate" both of the barrels so they go to "point of aim" at 50 yards. If he can do that, then we will talk about what kind of sights I want on it. He is doing it on a time available basis, so it will be awhile before I get any results. I think if he is able to pull it off, it will be a good deer shotgun.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    A good tactical sling capable of front carry beats carrying in the hand any day - can be just a quickly fired - more comfortable and secure - and its much more likely to be on your person.

sjj.......the front carry does not work for me. If I was patrolling streets, Yes. Or even on a established moose/bear trail it might work marginally. I have tried to make it work for my terrain and I just can not do it. I find that I trip forward, or slip to my right or left side with several falls per day. And rarely fall on my back.

For this reason (For ME) I sling the firearm, muzzle DOWN, sling in front of shoulder and firearm on back. This does two things. One: It protects firearm "When" I fall forward or to the side. Two: it allows for binoculars to be located in front/center of chest.

This is just what works for me, and my terrain. You are 100% correct on the short LOP for urgent mounting of firearms. 14 1/4" feels great in the store/home environment, but add real outdoor clothing and 12 7/8" becomes my choice. This is the advantage to the telescoping butt'stock it works for summer or winter LOP.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-26-2010 at 09:31 AM.

I like my NEF 12ga for a walk about, although my Savage 24 in 30-30 over 20ga is slowly taking it's place. Both are short, light, and take game when I want to. I have others to choose from, but it always seems to come down to one of these.

I can see where a AR15 in 6.8 would be nice. I really like the platform. That said, I have a hard time walking and hunting with an AR15 for very long. Having carried one under different circumstances, I find that it is (for me) best used at the range most of the time. Sometimes I just find my focus shifting a bit when I am out in the woods with one. Not always, but sometimes. Tends to make the walk not so fun.
    Last edited by aflineman; 01-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Sourdough,

Sorry, deleted my post before I realized you responded. If you haven't already, consider the Vickers 2 point adjustable sling. It allows for your preferred carry as well as several other positions due to its instant length adjustment with no loose ends flapping around. Its now my preferred sling on any long gun. I personally believe its a stable platform with good muzzle control as opposed to some of the systems that attach only at 1 point in the receiver area. It allows one to "snug" it up against their body in a relatively fixed and controled position if desired - yet quickly deployed by loosening (lengthing) the strap with just a quick pull of the tab.

P.S. the Viking is a similar sling that some prefer.
    I use a similar system on my Browning. I like it quite a bit. One thing I do find, if I sling it like Sourdough mentions (on back, barrel down) it is very comfortable since the side and not the bottom of the rifle is on my back. Works real similar to one of the old "endless" slings, but mounts in a more comfortable manner.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate