Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "walk'about" Gun.........???????

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm.....

Hopeak...1st, there are some things that I would never, ever do with a "long gun". I would never use it for anything but what it was made for...shooting. The reason is that to use the wrong tool for the job is disrespectful for the tool, dangerous, and asking for trouble. Loaded or unloaded, dirt and moisture can still enter a barrel causing rust, obstruction, etc. I respect what all you've done in the past and will say that, while watching the film: "Alone in The Wilderness", I saw DP doing something that I would not only never do but would never encourage anybody else to do either. He had a small block of wood which he held in one hand while knocking pieces off it with a hand ax, missing his other hand by only an inch or two. Obviously DP knew he could get away with it, the same as you know you can get away with what you are using the rifle for. That, to me, makes you and DP "exceptions to the rule", but I still strongly advise against it to anybody else, they may not be as experienced or as lucky as you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ruger 22 mag with bird shot and slugs. If I need it.

I usually don't carry a fire arm. I would rather carry the Cold Steel shovel or the Mace or the flame spreader(not going into this).

If you need a gun to go for a walk, you need to make the area safer for you or more dangerous for those you would run across.

Usually it is a wrist rocket for me!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

i miss my 10/22. it was my favorite rifle in idaho, till the police stole it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Oh, sure. Entice us with your "flame spreader" remark and then refuse to talk about it. You, sir are a teaser!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

what, they walked into my house without warrant, looking for a guest i'd had at a party the night before, said 'we'll take that, in connection with an assault', talked to my roomate and i with thier boots on out necks, in standing water in out drive way, determined that we wheren't involved, then said 'we still need to hold this as evidence', found and arrested the people who commited the crime, confiscated their guns, kept mine and lied about it's status as evidence for 6 months untill after i'd moved out of state.

PD insisted the DA hadn't released it as evidence, DA insisted they had and i was was free to pick it up at any time while the PD was open. when asked about this marked discrepancy in views, both parties said 'uhm, that's between you and ####.'
    Last edited by canid; 03-09-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default $5,000.- Cash

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    Ruger 22 mag with bird shot and slugs. If I need it.

I usually don't carry a fire arm. I would rather carry the Cold Steel shovel or the Mace or the flame spreader(not going into this).

If you need a gun to go for a walk, you need to make the area safer for you or more dangerous for those you would run across.

Usually it is a wrist rocket for me!

Don
    OK here is the deal, I will give you $5,000.00 CASH, all you have to do is use "ONLY" your sling'shot, or your Cold Steel Shovel, to make my "area safer for me or more dangerous for those who I would run across".

This offer is open to anyone, I get all rights to film this, and sell said film. And luck of luck there are TWO (2) of "THOSE" up on the hill this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    OK here is the deal, I will give you $5,000.00 CASH, all you have to do is use "ONLY" your sling'shot, or your Cold Steel Shovel, to make my "area safer for me or more dangerous for those who I would run across".

This offer is open to anyone, I get all rights to film this, and sell said film. And luck of luck there are TWO (2) of "THOSE" up on the hill this morning.
    I think he was talking about in town
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Banned
    Blog Entries

I know He was, I am just having fun. I like Don.

Yeah, but it would sure be fun to watch from your back porch.Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I know He was, I am just having fun. I like Don.
    Yeah he's a good guy I have known him for a while. One of these days were going to show up on his doorstep
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Wait a minute! $5000 is $5000. I'll have to work on this and get back to you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    hopeak, what 'those' are you refering to?
    Moose Nuggets?

I think he's talking about "those he runs across". People.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    hopeak, what 'those' are you refering to?
    The bad boys in my neighborhood wear their "colors" with pride, and the two main gangs are the "Browns" and the "Blacks". They are mostly prone to random acts of vandalism. Like eating the seat or tires off ATV or snow machines. They will chew on the corners of buildings, and eat the oats and barley seedlings. They are not aggressive, and in fact are extremely fearful, of the two legged creatures who overpopulate and invade their "TURF".

Ha! That's great. Well put.

Blog Entries

To me it depends on where my walkabout is. Hopeak you live in bear country, may not be any around you but one never knows what's in a bear mind and one may come in your area one day. With what you said in post No.1 I'd carry my USP .40 and spare mag. If I ran into a bear and ended up having to use it then I think 11 round of .40 cal hydrashock will sto the bear, if not doesn't matter cause I'm bear food till it bleeds out anyway.
    Now here in Ohio I carry my flintlock .62 cal everywhere I go in the woods if I think I need a firearm. When not going historical I carry the same USP .40 for modern camping.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't have the gut's to live in the city. I get nauseous when I get with-in 20 miles of Anchorage. And I only go every 7 or 8 weeks.

Blog Entries

If I was really going to do a "walk about", realistically, my choice would be an everyday pump shotgun. I would choose the synthetic stock as I've seen trucks run over such and not be damaged.

It would not be one of the home defense styles, but rather a turkey hunting style. Mod. short barrel, no plug, possibly a round extension up to the end of the barrel.

Ya know what, I may just look into one of these "walk about" guns.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

All it needs are two sling swivels and a sling and you're set.
    Last edited by FVR; 03-10-2008 at 11:17 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

FVR, Hard to argue with that choice. I have a nice Ithica model 37 featherweight that I cut to 20" Barrel length.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Any gun I walk out the door with is my walk-about gun, yeah gotta go with shotgun its an all around gun.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want