Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "walk'about" Gun.........???????

G-22! Drool, drool, drool. Nice cary handle. Light weight.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beerrunner13 View Post
    If only I had known Love the AB was it the chrome? Not that it matters now. I heard Remmington stoped makeing them but is still honoring the life time warrenty , but they never seem to fail.

They are bulletproof but for one problem, at -60*F Below Zero or nippier The stock will break.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beerrunner The local Gunshows should have them available. Do NOT buy the clone 66.

I need more info! How long, weight, cal., etc. How's the LAR?

Blog Entries

Here is my "walkabout" gun.

It's accurate from 5' to 100yds and depending on your powder, further.

50 cal. shorty. 50 cal. GPR cut down. Put a sling on it and throw it on your back, or attach to the side of your pack, or carry. You'd be surprised how much weight you lose when ya cut a foot plus off a barrel.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Very nice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sweet one of these days I have to get one of those
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default The short happy life of LAR-8 by ROCK RIVER

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I need more info! How long, weight, cal., etc. How's the LAR?
    The LAR-8 (7.62 NATO) and I got divorced last Sat. at the Gun Show, more about that in just a bit. First, The good news is that I have ordered two more Rock River AR-15's in 6.8 SPC one in green and one in black. Both will be A4 flattops. I also have a Rock River AR-15 "pistol only" lower coming, it has been on order for 8 months, this will get mated to a 6.8 SPC upper with a 10" Barrel.

Now about the Rock River LAR-8 (.308 winchester). It was special ordered for me so I had to complete the deal, and buy it. It was a good firearm, and 10 years ago I would have kept it, but it was ever so slightly just outside my current needs. We weigh it and it came in at 8 pounds, 2 oz. the trigger was very good, clean and crisp at 3.7 pounds. It shot well, it functioned perfect.

But at with rings and bases and scope it was 9 pounds 4 oz. less magazine. The problem for me came when you put 20 rounds of 168 grain cartridges in the magazine this added 2 more pounds. Nice truck gun, nice yard gun, nice range gun. It just got to heavy for what I do. If someone wanted the best and lightest .308 battle rifle in an AR platform, the Rock River LAR-8 is it.

For what I do the 6.8 SPC will do 85% of what the 7.62 NATO will do. And I build custom 5 and 6 round magazines for the 6.8 SPC; so that net/net, all in all, field ready, my AR-15 in 6.8 SPC weighs two and a half pounds less and will do 85% of the work, and I can live with that compermise........
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-09-2008 at 12:23 AM.

hopeak have you thought about a combo gun I had a 30-30/12 ga over under years ago it was pretty handy and not to heavy, I am sure you can find them in diffrent cal/ga combos
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have owned a lot of those Savage model 24's. The old ones are great the new ones with the space between the barrels and the composite stocks are very heavy, compaired to the old model. I just sold a Savage M-24 in .410 over .410 they are very rare. I still have my Fox side by side .410 and it is a delightfull carry gun. Winchester makes a .410 load that has five OOO BUCK. That is five .33 Caliber balls. I did some tests and they are 5" pattern at 30 yards.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

To begin, Why did you say you were gonna use a long gun as a walking stick? That is a no no, always has been. If you want something for defense 2 or 4 legged I am rather fond of my Beretta Cougar 45 cal. It's easy to carry, conceal and downright accurate and it ain't long enough for a walking stick which I highly recommend for self defense. Don't underestimate a mean ole man with one, he may know how to use it. I don't plan on hunting game or I would carry something else. I guess you maybe made a mistake saying you would use a gun for a walking stick, least I hope so.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    To begin, Why did you say you were gonna use a long gun as a walking stick? That is a no no, always has been. If you want something for defense 2 or 4 legged I am rather fond of my Beretta Cougar 45 cal. It's easy to carry, conceal and downright accurate and it ain't long enough for a walking stick which I highly recommend for self defense. Don't underestimate a mean ole man with one, he may know how to use it. I don't plan on hunting game or I would carry something else. I guess you maybe made a mistake saying you would use a gun for a walking stick, least I hope so.
    DEAR SIR:

I am sure you know much more about this subject than I do. I am only 61 years old, and I only have 52 years experience with firearms. I was a professional Alaska Big Game Guide for only 34 years, and I have only built 19 custom rifles. And I only have 43 years of reloading experience. And I only worked for the finest Gun Store in Alaska for (8) eight years.

I am sure you know much more than I do about crossing snowfields. I just empty the firearm and use the firearm as a walking stick when crossing snowfields. I am sure you know much more than I do about crossing scree or shale slides using a empty firearm as a walking stick for safety. Side hilling around a mountain when the grass is wet and slippery, I use an empty firearm for a walking stick. Packing 110 pounds of sheep meat off the mountain I use a empty firearm for a walking stick for safety. I only do it every day for the past 38 years what do I know. I am only a Professional at what I do, but what do I know. I have only taught about 40 Assistant Guides the Trade. Yes, I use a firearm for a walking stick, and I will do it again tomorrow.

PS. The Beretta Cougar is a very fine firearm.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-09-2008 at 03:08 AM.

i wouldn't do it, but then i wouldn't carry an unloaded rifle in the bush unless it featured a detachable mag. on that note, i lobe Ruger rifles.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i wouldn't do it, but then i wouldn't carry an unloaded rifle in the bush unless it featured a detachable mag. on that note, i lobe Ruger rifles.

Why...??? Much of the time I only carry a climbing axe (ice axe). Sometimes only a Hudson Bay Axe (Short axe).

i'm just the prefer to have a gun with me type, and the prefer to have a tool ready if i'm going to carry it type. i know, i'm cliche'
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

A Firearm is a "TOOL". It can be used as a tent pole. A flag pole, A walking Stick, A pole to keep you from falling down a crevasse, or hole in the ice. I have even used it to whack bears on the nose to back them off, it is just a tool.

If you have a lot of different tools, wither 20 firearms, or 60 firearms, you choose the best tool for the work at hand.

I stated at the start a carry gun is not perfect for hunting, survival, offense, defense, it is for general "CARRY" applications.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-09-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Hopeak: For me, I've never been working in the conditions that you describe. I do agree with you 100% on the fact that a firearm is a tool, and like any tool, you pick the best one available for the job at hand. Thanks for your insight on this - it has broadened my view.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I have my own opinion on firearms and personally I WOULD NOT use any firearm loaded or not for a walking stick. My '45 is my personal choice out to 25yds or so. I only use a long gun for 50yds or more. I am sure you know what you are doing but up close I would use my walking stick instead of the '45 or SOG I always carry. An older gentleman would never run afoul of the local law enforcement by getting "lucky" and dispatching a younger hoodlum with a mere cane needed for his bad back. You know what opinions are like and I respect yours, and I have NO problem with anyone that disagrees with me. I don't think most on here have anything to prove, just share knowledge & opinions. If used properly where I live everything can be dispatched by what I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    A Firearm is a "TOOL". It can be used as a tent pole. A flag pole, A walking Stick, A pole to keep you from falling down a crevasse, or hole in the ice. I have even used it to whack bears on the nose to back them off, it is just a tool.

If you have a lot of different tools, wither 20 firearms, or 60 firearms, you choose the best tool for the work at hand.

I stated at the start a carry gun is not perfect for hunting, survival, offense, defense, it is for general "CARRY" applications.
    imho, while a firearm is a "TOOL", yes, it is an expensive tool with specialized purposes. Just like a knife is a "TOOL". I don't use my knife as a prybar, as it tends to degrade it's functionality and prevents it from being used for the purpose it is meant for. There are plenty of other "TOOL"'s that can accomplish the job and not possibly rob me of a specialized "TOOL". Same reason I wouldn't use a firearm as a walking stick, since there are so many other good one's available provided by mother nature.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

That's what I like about this country. When you own something you can pretty much do what you want with it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.