Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "walk'about" Gun.........???????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default "walk'about" Gun.........???????

What are the factor's that make a good Walk'about gun.

Let's be clear this is not a true "survival firearm", and not a perfect offensive or defensive firearm, not a true hunting firearm. It is a "Walk'about" gun.

I try to hike 5 miles per day. And it is interesting which firearms get to go along day after day. So what matters is: carry ability, To light is bad, to heavy is bad, to long is bad, and most important to large around the receiver is bad.

The firearm really needs to be in one of my hands, and not slung. And it needs to be carry able with only one hand, which rules out many otherwise good firearms, like the M-14. Can you hold it (M-14) in "one" hand for a few minutes, yes. Just try to hold it in "one" hand for only 10 minutes. It is a two hand carry or sling-it firearm. And this is the problem with scoped firearms as well.

The Old firearms like Flintlock's and most old style, very skinny diameter black powder firearms are very carry able. I can not have a flintlock for a carry gun, but a good center fire single shot, like the H&R makes a good choice.

Small receiver lever guns like the M-94 and M-92 and to a lesser extent the M-73 are easy to carry.

In a walk'about gun the energy, velocity, bullet weight are really not that important. How many cartridges it holds is not that important.

Other important factors are: is the mechinism simple, is it easy to clean, will it take the day after day abuse of falling, dropping, underwater, etc.

But to be a true walk'about gun, carry ability is the most important factor.

Hopeak - I don't have a requirement to stop a griz or a mountain lion. My only concern is personal protection from people or the occasional dog pack. I also want something that will scare up some dinner if need be. Sooooo, I carry a .32 H&R wheel gun. Meets all your specs above.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

How about this flashlight? Yes I said flashlight.....watch the video and you will see why.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

"To light is bad, to heavy is bad, to long is bad, and most important to large around the receiver is bad."

"In a walk'about gun the energy, velocity, bullet weight are really not that important. How many cartridges it holds is not that important.

Other important factors are: is the mechinism simple, is it easy to clean, will it take the day after day abuse of falling, dropping, underwater, etc.

But to be a true walk'about gun, carry ability is the most important factor."

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/tacstar.htm

In my opinion, the tacsling negates the "doesn't need to be slung" because it's already in a ready position. Just my $.02
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 03-08-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Part of the reason the walk'about gun is in the hand, is that it serves as a walking stick, climbing stick, and is used for balance when crossing logs, etc..

35 years ago we did extensive research on firing shotguns with pistol grips, and determined that outside of dumb luck, one could not hit near the target, We found the results hard to believe, and redid the test. The results were the same. It looks "cool", and kind'a works at 3 yards, but is mostly useless. Sorry

Works for me for self defense. Besides, unless your hunting with it, you don't really need it for anything other than close range.

"Part of the reason the walk'about gun is in the hand, is that it serves as a walking stick, climbing stick, and is used for balance when crossing logs, etc.. "

where exactly did you learn your gun safety? Sorry, I prefer to carry a gun, and a stick, if that's what I need. It'll extend the life of your weapon, and probably any companions your traveling with.

"35 years ago we did extensive research on firing shotguns with pistol grips, and determined that outside of dumb luck, one could not hit near the target, We found the results hard to believe, and redid the test. The results were the same. It looks "cool", and kind'a works at 3 yards, but is mostly useless. Sorry"

Sorry you can't hit your target. I don't have any issues with it. And 35 years ago people still thought smoking was cool, and didn't see anything wrong with a greasy burger and fries. Times change, amigo.

To each their own.
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 03-08-2008 at 04:33 PM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

"And 35 years ago people still thought smoking was cool, and didn't see anything wrong with a greasy burger and fries. Times change, amigo."

Maybe you changed, but those are all still perfectly acceptable statements when you are 10-30 yeas old (which I'm guessing you were 35 years ago). Just putting that out there.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

That shotgun would be OK for a breach or entry wepon, maybe if someone was breaking into your house but other wise pretty usless unless you are going for the Rambo look.

Around here and makeing my rounds in the field I find my Marlin mod 60 handels the job. Works on everything from tree rats to yotes and hogs if need be with the Stingers. If I was up north my Mod 94 or maybe the Ruger ranch.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Yeah, I've got a model 60 along with about a bazillion other folks. Nice little rifle. I think it is considered the most popular rifle in the world based on the number sold.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin Pilot View Post
    "And 35 years ago people still thought smoking was cool, and didn't see anything wrong with a greasy burger and fries. Times change, amigo."

Maybe you changed, but those are all still perfectly acceptable statements when you are 10-30 yeas old (which I'm guessing you were 35 years ago). Just putting that out there.
    Uh....what? So, smoking and unhealthy eating is still acceptable at 10-30 years old? Am I reading that right?

Oh, and your guess is totally off base.
    Last edited by Alpine_Sapper; 03-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.
    Samuel Adams

I too have the Marlin model 60. If you ever need a manual for it try this.

http://www.survivalprimer.com/PaulsG...Mod60_full.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks, crash. I didn't have a manual or a parts list with mine. That site has both. Good post!!

Thanks Crash I did not have a manual either but I love my 60 TDW has a 10/22 that I am fond of also but can not get her to give it up. I had a sweet Nylon 66 I wish I had never sold, wish I could find another one. And Rick I think you are right for a sporting firearm.
    Last edited by beerrunner13; 03-08-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Banned
    Blog Entries

What can I say most guys can hit a beer can at 100 Yards 6 out of 6 times, with a wheel gun. I can not do that. I am sure you are a much better shot than I am. However there were Three (3) Professional Hunters who did the shooting in the test. Just for fun you might try it.

I do have a 1,000 Yard Private Rifle Range, stop by and teach me, I truly am always willing to learn; That is why I am part of this form.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beerrunner13 View Post
    Thanks Crash I did not have a manual either but I love my 60 TDW has a 10/22 that I am fond of also but can not get her to give it up. I had a sweey Nylon 66 I wish I had never sold, wish I could find another one. And Rick I think you are right for a sporting firearm.
    I just sold two Nylon 66's. One was a "Black Diamond" $200.00 the other was a "Mohawk" $175.00 Both were 98% guns.

6 out of 6 times?! Not me brother. I wish I were that good. I'm sure I could scare the heck out of you at that distance though.

There's a video on the net of the fastest wheel gun. He shoots six shots, reloads and shoots six shots in something like 3 seconds. I would hurt something very bad if I tried that.

The one that comes to mind for me would be the ruger mini-30. Stainless, synthetic and folding stock with a 5 to 10 round clip.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    The one that comes to mind for me would be the ruger mini-30. Stainless, synthetic and folding stock with a 5 to 10 round clip.
    We use the Ruger Ranch Rifles (mini-30, and the new 6.8SPC) on the snowmachines, because they fit under the seat for the Ski-doo Super wide track, and the fan cooled wide track, but not the liquid cooled.

The Ruger Ranch Rifles are the right weight, and have the worlds best ring and base system, however it is to large around the receiver for easy carry, wonderful firearms. Bill Ruger was one of the greatest inventors of the 20'Th century.

Darn. I'll have to keep thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    I just sold two Nylon 66's. One was a "Black Diamond" $200.00 the other was a "Mohawk" $175.00 Both were 98% guns.
    If only I had known Love the AB was it the chrome? Not that it matters now. I heard Remmington stoped makeing them but is still honoring the life time warrenty , but they never seem to fail.