Thread: Chokecherry (Prunus Virginiana) Anybody using this?

Default Chokecherry (Prunus Virginiana) Anybody using this?

Last month I gathered about 4 quarts of chokecherries. These were pleasantly sweet with bitter overtones and they made a great jam. Of course, the jam had lots of sugar, and I had to add pectin to get it to jell. I am hoping some of you have other ideas or bush recipes for this wild fruit.

I was told by someone who is quite knowledgeable that Chokecherry is unfit for human food, which totally confounded me. Still, this person knew it was used extensively by some Native Peoples.DSCN0741.jpg

My family has eaten chokecherries all my life. My favorite is chokecherry syrup, a thinner version of the jam. We use it on pancakes. Not even Jif creamy with cheap syrup can top that.

I have read that it is the unripened fruit that you need to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensittin View Post
    I have read that it is the unripened fruit that you need to avoid.
    We always picked it ripe.

Thanks for the feedback. I was beginning to wonder if my taste buds were dead to bitterness or something. I've noticed the partially ripened fruit is pretty unpleasant... even to me, so maybe that's why the fruit isn't more popular, so thanks for the confirmation of this Stiffy and Chickensittin. Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes the stuff right off the tree.

Any more ideas or bush recipes out there? Drying? Sweetening with something besides sugar? Ways to remove pits without hours of labor? Alternates to store-bought pectin or apples to make it jell?