Thread: Opinel 6

Default Opinel 6

I just ordered one of these. I did read, somewhere, that the handle sometimes swells when wet, making it difficult to open or close. Have any of you Opinel owners had a problem with this?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have used them for years and have never had a problem.

Not to say it could not happen. It is a simple knife with only wood handle, blade and steel lock ring. If the wood were left submerged completely for several hours or days it could happen. Still, I can not see the swelling so bad as to keep the blade from opening.

I have used them enough to think that this is not a worry one would have to deal with except in very unusual situations.

If you have never owned an Opinel you will be pleased, providing you accept it for what it is. The blade is excellent quality.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My # 10 Opinel is over 15 years old and gets used quite a bit. I have to agree with everything stated and it’s been tougher than I ever thought it would be. The other day it got used to chip ice out of an old freezer. It had some minor swelling but only enough to make the blade sticky. The wood shrinks back in a day or two. I’ve been through this cycle a number of times and the blade has never developed a wobble. The handle is comfy to.

Thanks. I won't worry about it now.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It's an Openil. If the blade gets a wobble give the rivet a smack with a hammer and tighten it up.

If the handle does not fit your hand take some sandpaper too it and make if work for you.

Knives like the Opinel, minus the lock ring, are found in the reamains of Roman Legion Camps all over Europe. They are also one of the top items found in Native America Archeological sites after European contact. The Indians seemed to love this style of knife, they wwere imported by the traders hundreds of dozens at a time. I refferenced one French shipping manfest going to Tallouse, in Alabama in the early 1700s that had "30 gross plain folding knives" in the inventory. They have a long history in the American wilderness.

The method of carry was to attach a string with a toggle to the handle. The toggle was slipped under the belt and held the knife dangling on the string. They had no pockets on their breechcloth and leggins and found that with the string and toggle they needed no sheath. They were also often hung around the neck.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-03-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

mine does get a little stiff, but so far it hasnt been all too bad. one thing i should add, that when you oil the blade... leave it open in a safe place for a day because the oil can and will make it swell, gently wipe it off then close it up. not my idea but someone who has several opinels that knows a lot more about them

I commited sacriledge...
    I wrapped the handle with duct tape. It cannot swell...much, but that improved the grip for me.
    Great knife.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.