Thread: quick question on motor for home made belt sander

Default quick question on motor for home made belt sander

Sorry, but I really couldn't figure out how to search for this question without getting every knife thread returned.

I have come into a 3/4 hp electric motor. I have to make sure it works, but it should since it came out of a, to my knowledge, working spa tub. I see Grizzly's knife sander is a 1hp motor @ 1750 rpm. The one I have is 3/4hp @ 3450rpm (115v 9.2amps). Is the RPM too high for a belt sander for knives? I mean, its like twice what most motors are at that I find.

I know I could probably gear down the RPM with a little work, but that's just more parts to find/buy. Also, any advice on where to find/buy the rest of the parts for the the belt guides?

As for setting everything up. I can turn the power supply line into a standard plug right? I mean there is no turn on line for this thing, so I assume it was just on a switch. I'll find that out when I do it, but just want any advice from those who have gone before me.

Thanks folks

Mine is ran off of and mounted to a table saw. It's a 3/4 hp at 3450rpm.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

thanks winter, now to just take this damn thing apart to get the water pump assembly off of it. Its screwed on from inside the motor assembly, which makes it a lot more difficult to get off now.

goto the scrap yard and find some pullys out of a drill press.

What are you using for wheels?
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Nothing yet echo, project is gonna be my winter down time from work project I think. The only thing I have is the motor right now. I'll use anything I can get my hands on personally.

It will work. I'm using a 1.5 hp motor turning at 1725 on one grinder and a 2 hp turning at 3450 on the other. My contact wheels for grinding (on both) are turning at about the same speed. It's all on the size of your drive wheel.

I like to do my grinding with the belt moving at about 4500 feet per minute. On my 1725 motor I have a 10" drive wheel while there is a 5" drive wheel on the 3450.

To figure out your belt speed use this formula. (pi)*(diameter of the drive wheel in inches)*(drive wheel RPM)/12 = surface feet per minute
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Crash, that will help a ton when I get this thing going. I still gotta figure out how to take it apart to get the damn water pump assembly off of it. Its screwed together from the interior for some brilliant reason.