Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "My farm & 40k that I can take any N. American game animal with 2 rds of .22 Hornet

That's OK..... a .22 lr will work fine, on anything on the planet....it's all about shot placement.
    Just don't use a 30-30, they haven't killed anything since the interweb was invented.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Guess I should look into trading my 30-30 for another 22lr...........darned interweb!

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    Guess I should look into trading my 30-30 for another 22lr...........darned interweb!
    Just make sure you trade it for a 70# tacticool 10/22 with a 100 round banana clip. You may only need one round, but everyone knows that you need the weight of a 100 round banana clip to make it shoot straight.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    .............But I think someone should have taken him up on the farm and $40K offer.............

I tried, albeit second person. Dang Mod sliced his throat while I went to get rid of some coffee, and then a refill.

The varmints would have at least let their poor ol' grey haired Peepaw set on what was his porch. Now the $40k; tennis shoes, Aristotle shirts, Oreos, iTune apps............. I wouldn't have seen a dime.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by aflineman View Post
    Just make sure you trade it for a 70# tacticool 10/22 with a 100 round banana clip. You may only need one round, but everyone knows that you need the weight of a 100 round banana clip to make it shoot straight.

Hey, watch it!

When you start picking on the 10/22 you are blaspheming the sacred. And that discription resembles MY 10/22, the famed "three sighted racoon rifle".

Fact is the .22 lr is not really enough gun for good sized racoons. Lord knows I have shot enough of them to know. I just use it so I will not wake up the neighbors.

I have always considered the .22 Hornet a "reloadable .22 magnum". One of those rounds you could really enjoy as a load test platform for when you did not want to shoot a real rifle. I think they fall into the catagory the British used to call a "rook rifle".

The Air Force thought enough of them to require the chambering for their little survival combo gun, but that was before the .22 mag was invented and they wanted more punch than the .22lr.

I never owned one but always wanted too. Then you realize the .223 can be down loaded to the same specs and also has the full charge loading available....

This is making my head hurt. I need to go back and finish painting, maybe the paint fumes will help me think.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Makes you wonder why snipers ever needed a .338 Lapua doesn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Makes you wonder why snipers ever needed a .338 Lapua doesn't it!

"When you really need to reach out and touch something", seriously......

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Hey, watch it!

When you start picking on the 10/22 you are blaspheming the sacred. And that discription resembles MY 10/22, the famed "three sighted racoon rifle".

Fact is the .22 lr is not really enough gun for good sized racoons. Lord knows I have shot enough of them to know. I just use it so I will not wake up the neighbors.

I have always considered the .22 Hornet a "reloadable .22 magnum". One of those rounds you could really enjoy as a load test platform for when you did not want to shoot a real rifle. I think they fall into the catagory the British used to call a "rook rifle".

The Air Force thought enough of them to require the chambering for their little survival combo gun, but that was before the .22 mag was invented and they wanted more punch than the .22lr.

I never owned one but always wanted too. Then you realize the .223 can be down loaded to the same specs and also has the full charge loading available....

This is making my head hurt. I need to go back and finish painting, maybe the paint fumes will help me think.
    I know that I am resurrecting an old thread but, here is what my NEF .22 Hornet got me last Sunday with one shot. I have killed many deer with it so far.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Al
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

Yeah they work.......Congrats, man nice buck.

Thanks. One down and five to go. Our limit is six.

Al
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Ben Franklin

Nice buck, I sometimes hunt whitetail with a 22 k-hornet.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Darn, now I'll never know how to catch fish with a shovel.
    Same way you catch them when they don't have a shovel. Just remember a fish with a shovel is a rare catch and so pics or it didn't happen!

there was a time we caught large amounts of sucker with a pitchfork. The pitchfork wasn't used as a spear but was used to flip the sucker out of the water onto the bank. Worked very very well.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Couple of kids almost won the annual Coho-rama several years back.........biggest fish.....with a 7 iron, small creek leading into Lake Michigan.
    Disqualified for unapproved tackle.

No ship........

Well I guess. That was clearly a place for a sand wedge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

A girl was killed here last weekend with a pellet gun accident.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I hope none of the new folks open this thread up and try to follow it.....I mean I know that I am very much a rookie but I have read a lot of the older threads, well okay some of the better ones anyway and this one is really interesting. Where do I find out about the whole chess club sub-culture?

By the way I have two rifles in 22 Hornet and love them. I have killed one deer with that caliber after Oklahoma changed it's rules/laws on the 22 cals being legal. Would NOT be my choice for a "survival" kit but I love shooting both of them. One is an old Stevens single shot and the other is an older H&R Topper.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Darn, now I'll never know how to catch fish with a shovel. I don't think he's curled up in a fetal position, I think it's a fecal position. LOL
    The best way to catch catfish is Exlax! You just crumble it up and throw it out in the water about 6' from the bank and wait.

When they crawl out of the water to take a poop, you hit them in the head with a stick

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I hope none of the new folks open this thread up and try to follow it.....I mean I know that I am very much a rookie but I have read a lot of the older threads, well okay some of the better ones anyway and this one is really interesting. Where do I find out about the whole chess club sub-culture?
    I kinda surprised it stayed on point for as long as it did.....When the OP starts out with the interweb equivalent of "Yo mama ugly" or some such silliness....generally it goes sideways pretty fast....and screams Troll, troll, troll.

Guess the OP didn't want to put his money(and farm) where his mou.....typing finger is.....Oh well....was kinda fun.

BTW are you sure the .22 Hornet is a Topper?....that name was used for the shot gun offerings, although there were combo's sold in the '50 and '60,..... like 12 ga/30-30 under the Topper name still looking for one for my small collection.
    No worries, just curious......

Want to sell it?