Thread: Twine-and-Ferrite-Rod "Match" Technique For Fire Lighting

Lightbulb Twine-and-Ferrite-Rod "Match" Technique For Fire Lighting

I found a rather simple way to sort of combine a twine nest/tinder bundle and the cord part of the twine in order to make something that could be used in a similar way to a match when lighting a fire. You start out with about 6 inches of twine, then without ever cutting that 6 inches you unravel 1 to 1.5 inches of one end of it and make it into a mini-nest. You then fold the mini-nest part back onto the rest of the twine. Depending on how much wind you have present, you might want to give the cord part of the twine match a slight twist in one direction or the other to produce the desired amount of burn. The more slightly unraveled it is, the quicker it will burn. On the other hand, if you have no wind at all, you might want to tighten it more to give a longer burn time.
    After all that is done, get your ferrite rod and knife out. Lay the mini-nest part of the match onto a stable surface, like a rock or something similar that will not catch fire. Press the tip of the ferrite rod against the mini-nest to make sure it will not move. You don't really need to build up shavings of the ferrite rod in order to light it, but in damp conditions it might help. A few rapid strikes with a lot of sparks will be enough to light it. It is only lit when the entire mini-nest has caught fire and the cord end of the twine match is starting to burn. When you pick it up, make sure the flames lick the cord part of the match enough to continue the burn, but do not let it burn you. If you choose to try this, I am not liable for any damages incurred. In my opinion, it is a pretty safe way to light a fire, just remember to always respect the fire.
    I have tested this method in daylight and complete darkness, and even lit a tobacco pipe with it a few times!
    Below are two images: the proper length of twine to start with and a completed match.
    Twine.jpgTwine match.jpg
    ~ Stercus Accidit ~
    (Latin for "S*** Happens")

I hae done this before and it works well, when available take some pine pitch and smear on the match end, it really adds duration to your flame.
    Semper Paratus

Ferrite is a magnetic substance often used in electronics. I think your reference is ferrocerium.

I'm also a little confused with your comment, "You don't really need to build up shavings of the ferrite rod in order to light it...". Are you talking about a magnesium bar for the shavings?

The twine match is a good tool. Thanks for posting!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.