Thread: Got my nuts back

Default Got my nuts back

I normally keep a close eye on my butternut trees so I can beat the squirrels to the nuts but this year they fell while the DW and I were on a long weekend for our anniversary. Got back to the trees and the nuts were gone! So I decided to take them back.......

The lair....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

digging and chopping....

I was kinda expecting to find a nice neat stack of nuts, but what I found instead was nuts loosely covered in dirt in every corner of the den...

the haul.....

And because i'm a softy I gave those darned squirrels a consolation of sunflower seeds...

ha lol nice
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

LOSE-NUT.jpg

You're good man MM. That was a fair trade.

The Mrs keeps mine in her purse....

...for safe-keeping, no doubt.

That's what she says....but I'm beginning to think she may have a different motive....

I'm going to play this one straight and just ask, have you been able to find similar stashes out in the woods?

Lol Echo, I knew someone would run with that title

Stiffy, short answer, no. I know the indians around these parts would raid muskrat houses to get their supply of ground nut or raid the nests of certain mice for their ground beans. But I have been unsuccessful so far with finding the mice stashes. And have been uninspired to go trampsing through the swamps in late fall in search of ground nut when it's so easy to dig for yourself

I must confess I don't think I've ever had butternut. They are native here and I've gathered and eaten every other nut. Hmmm. Do you do anything special to ready them for cracking (thinking like walnut) or just shell and enjoy?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Butternut are in the walnut family and can be treated similar. They tend to be really oily in a good way, hense the name. I much prefer them to the english walnuts and put them on a par with black walnuts. If you allow the husk to disintigrate the "goo" will leach some into the nut giving it a flavor closer to black walnut. If you de-husk them when still green they will have a "cleaner" flavor. I like them both ways. Shelling is not easy without a specialized nut cracker. I used to spend hours cracking them in a vice until my wife had mercy on me and bought one of those nut crackers from Lehmans. Wow that made the job easier. I like to let mine sit for a while to mature before cracking. At least a couple months. I highly recommend giving them a try sometime.......if you can beat the squirrells to them

Specialized nutcracker huh?

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    I'm going to play this one straight and just ask, have you been able to find similar stashes out in the woods?
    Funny you should ask....LOL
    I have found hickory nuts, by sitting in the woods and watching the squirrels.

Noticed a couple of times that they were going back to the same place and investigated.....found a burrow, with maybe two hand fulls....so stole one handful and left the other...didn't want to be greedy.

Of course if you shoot them, they can't tell ya where the nuts are.

Cool post MM, don't believe too many people would go to those lengths......Thanks.

See, I played it straight as well......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You get one of them little squirrely bastids hooked on them sunflower seeds. Then hook him up with a little toy 4 wheeler and he could drive you nuts.

I've had a couple barking squirrels during archery season drive me nuts.

Then there was the pirate I met with a steering wheel sticking out of his zipper. I asked him if he knew he had a steering wheel sticking out of his zipper? He said, "AAARRRGGG!!! It's Driving Me Nuts!"

Ok, I'm done...

My wife keeps my nuts in her purse for safe keeping...

Wait, I just re read the OP... Sorry, Im off topic. HA HA

It's always good to have your wife carry a snack for you.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel