Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 auto>45-70 for bear defense, any day.

Default 308 auto>45-70 for bear defense, any day.

Something like a used, $400 Remington sporter auto, cause milsurp 308 ammo costs no more than the LOADING components for 45-70 rds, and the auto offers twice as fast repeat hits. 100 lb deer often run off with 12 ga slugs thru their chests, which beat the hell out of 45-70 area-momentum, so of course no chest hit can be relied upon to stop charges. Only brain hits are likely to suffice. So the 308's cheap practice and speed of repeat tries makes for a far better deal. It's also better for defense against men and for hunting. it can handle everything that the 45-70 can handle and a lot more that the lever gun is a poor, poor choice for, like 300 yd deer or 1/4 mile sniping.

My buddy carries a sks with a 30 round magazine. He loads it with by alternating rounds of hollow point, soft point and FMJ. I don't know if he has ever had to use it on a griz bear.

So I gotta ask. How many bear have you hit with .308 and how many with 45-70?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I smell a kill approaching.

Nothing short of an artillery shell (or a vehicle) to center mass can be considered guaranteed to stop a charging animal that large. It's a simple question of physics.

In such a case, I would be happy to go for 'will probably work', and given the amount of bear hunting and confrontations in this world, there is no shortage of contenders with case histories to back up their claims.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So I gotta ask. How many bear have you hit with .308 and how many with 45-70?
    I think I can hear crickets chirping.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This will stop a bear...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Do they allow you to bring those to the zoo?

That is about as close as I will get, and about as much interest as I have, in Griz killing.

But there was that guy in Zaynesville? The nut job with the private zoo.

There was the question about the number of griz killed with each weapon and I personally wonder how many shotgun slugs have been stolen from this person by runaway deer.

I will leave specualtion over bear guns to our friends on the forum that live in bear country and face them in other than a fantacy world. As far as I am concerned Sourdough can carry any damn thing he wants to. He's shot enough of them to make the call, I have not.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

.45-70 will kill anything on the planet.

A semi-auto .45-70? I'd like to see that.

I've seen .45-70 gatling guns but wouldn't carry one far unless I'd stolen it.

ETA- I really like my guide gun in .45-70. Handy as hell, I don't even wear a pistol much in the woods with that rifle.

If you think a big bore lever gun ain't suited for a combat rifle, look up Jerry "MadDog" Shriver (MOH, KIA) That Ol'Boy carried a .444 Marlin in Vietnam as I recall.
    Last edited by Winter; 09-27-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Somebody needs to shoot a bear to test this theory

Hmmm. No answer on my question. He must have missed this thread when he logged on this morning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Somebody needs to shoot a bear to test this theory
    And have video proof, else it never happened!

Quote Originally Posted by hepit View Post
    100 lb deer often run off with 12 ga slugs thru their chests, which beat the hell out of 45-70 area-momentum, so of course no chest hit can be relied upon to stop charges.
    First, I thought you were talking about bears....
    Second, Really??!???!?? Gee, chests shots have always dropped deer for me! Of course, I never shot a deer that was only 100 lbs... Maybe the little guys are tougher. [shrugs]
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

"Chest shots are really a third choice. It's really all about shot placement...hang on... What do you want MA?!"
    "Is someone down there with you?"
    "No there's no one down here with me. I'm on the internet"
    "Careful you don't catch a virus."
    "(Jeese) All right, ma!....I'm back....It's all about shot placement."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

one with 308. Plenty of other critters with same, with 12 ga slugs. 45-70 is quite inferior to 12 ga, really, same velocity and a LOT less bullet diameter. this place's posting method is all screwed up.

Really? Works okay for me. What kind of problem are you having?

Jeez - I go away for a couple of days and you guys have started a troll petting zoo.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

sighing, not again another expert
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

. 45-70 is quite inferior to 12 ga, .

Well, that will just be your little secret.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

this place's posting method is all screwed up.
    Works fine or most of us and has for quite some time. In fact this is the standard format for most outdoor forums once you leave the yuppie backpackers on the well marked trail.

This is the way they do it when you leave facebook.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?