Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood stove / fireplace pokers

Default Wood stove / fireplace pokers

Made a couple pokers. One has an antler handle and the other handle is from an axe handle.
    [URL="http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice work Reb. I'm sill using the weeding tool I got from you a couple of rendezvous ago. I remember thinking that if I brought it home as a gift for my girlfriend I might get out of weeding the flowerbeds. Like I said, it's been two years now and I'm still using it. Thanks!!!
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Nice job. And a handy tool to have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by pgvoutdoors View Post
    Nice work Reb. I'm sill using the weeding tool I got from you a couple of rendezvous ago. I remember thinking that if I brought it home as a gift for my girlfriend I might get out of weeding the flowerbeds. Like I said, it's been two years now and I'm still using it. Thanks!!!
    Why do you think I got rid of it?

LOL

I wish I could make it this year but, we'll be visiting the "N"-laws. How 'bout a Wisconsin dells rendezvous some time?

Those are nice, but for some reason to my mind there seems to be something just inherently 'dirty' about antler and bone which makes me shy about using them around food. I wonder if it's unreasonable.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rebel - I would defiantly be up for a northern rendezvous. Someplace with fishing and paddling would be good. Even a winter gathering might be a way to go... But, with only ten members signed up to go to Cumberland Gap in October; we may have a hard time getting people to come to Wisconsin in the winter. Maybe a summer outing might be better.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Those are nice, but for some reason to my mind there seems to be something just inherently 'dirty' about antler and bone which makes me shy about using them around food. I wonder if it's unreasonable.
    Yes.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Do you eat T-bone steak or even ribs? There is a bone in them....same thing as an antler.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

that bone isn't then months or years of organic decay old, and not does it smell like it. It's known to be as clean and fresh as the meat it's still in.

the antler in my shop that smells like a dumpster when it gets hot, or the bone i've notice the same trend with; not so much. for all i know, the bone was left in a plastic bin to rot for weeks while beetles cleaned the meat off of it.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I guess I just don't understand? I do know about Dermestid Beetles though and they do their work very quickly, like in a matter of days and not weeks. I also have antler handled knives that I have used for 20+ years and they show no decay or deterioration at all.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    ...... I also have antler handled knives that I have used for 20+ years and they show no decay or deterioration at all.
    Same here....passed down from my grand parents.

I have been hammering Rebel to come to the Jamboree for awhile.

I still use the dutch oven lid lifter thingy mabob he gave me a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I have been hammering Rebel to come to the Jamboree for awhile.

I still use the dutch oven lid lifter thingy mabob he gave me a few years ago.
    I wish I could go. I really enjoyed the outing, meeting you all and the trade goodies.

Worry that you won't be able to make it to the Jamboree this year. Nice work on the fire utensils.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default Smoker poker

It must be poker week. Here's another: [URL="http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.[/URL]

What type of steel are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    What type of steel are you using?
    Cold rolled and zinc plated.

3/8" dia.?

5/16 ........

Are you making these to sell or just for yourself and friends?

I've made a few fireplace sets....I generally use 3/8" cold rolled round.

I like the stag horn handles....may have to make a set like that.