Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a terrorist

Default I am a terrorist

I went to our localist "off the grid" shop today...I wanted a whistle toattach to my little Mora neck knife combo...thing...
    Now, if I am carrying my primary belt knife, I have a whistle, but I wouldn't want to depend on it.
    Anyway, we started talking about my minimal preps, and he said tha I was a terrorist...by current govt standards...tongue in cheek, you know...
    I wanted to add a whistle to my "neck knife"...I had priced it out at my local outfitters, but all the whistles were too big.
    Anyway, he said that if I had more than two weeks of food, I am a terrorist.
    The guy was joking with me.
    The reason that I didn't buy the the whistle at the outfitter's shop was they were all too big...
    I was looking for a small, but powerful, whistle, to hang next to my knife.
    Its really messed up...I can tell...because nobody ever called me a terrorist because I had food...or a whistle.
    A whistle only works when it is heard by people who care, and I am counting on them...
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Don't tell nobody nothing.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Aren't we all?

If you have a brain you are a terrorist.

Clueless people gotta love um. Heres my philospy " I'll help the helpless, not the clueless" if someone is that ignorant they can't see what is happening day by day then they sure as heck don't know what the heck a terroist is either. He** would freeze over before I would spend my cash at the place.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Clueless people gotta love um. Heres my philospy " I'll help the helpless, not the clueless" if someone is that ignorant they can't see what is happening day by day then they sure as heck don't know what the heck a terroist is either. He** would freeze over before I would spend my cash at the place.
    I understand what you mean.

One of the sad things about it....a lot of "off grid" or alternative energy stores, are stark raving lunatics.....or crystal gripping, tree hugging, dirt worshipers types.

Watch it now. Not all us tree-huggers and dirt-worshipers are lunatics.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I know not all....but good grief....I've worked with a few companies making specialized stands and brackets for solar panels......and all but one thought they were saving the world and preached global warming.....and the one who didn't think that way.....still sold it under that pretense to his customers.

John - That's based on a fairly innocuous flyer the government sent around some time back. It gave retailers a heads up on what to look for when someone came in to buy items such as large amounts of ammunition, large amounts of food or significant quantities of items that are not permitted to be shipped outside the country. Some folks took it to the extreme proclaiming the government was labeling everyone that prepares as a terrorist.

http://info.publicintelligence.net/F...ry_Surplus.pdf
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I get the sense that DHS is seriously concerned about home grown terrorists, even though the only instance I can think of is Timothy McVeigh, who is probably more nuts than anything else.

thats stupid i hope he was joking
    bad business !
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

I've heard about Rand Paul's statements regarding "US citizens as terrorists," including the waterproofed ammunition, weeks worth of food, etc. stipulations. Although I disagree with most of Rand's politics, I did not immediately distrust this statement. However, I did some research. The bill he is referring to is the National Defense Authorization Act: a yearly bill that lays out the budget & expenditures for the US Military, as well as laying out other provisions.

The NDAA of 2012 laid out provisions for indefinite detention without trial, which includes US citizens (if they are suspected to be terrorists or supporters thereof). I searched numerous sources, including the bill itself (linked below) and I was unable to find any evidence that US citizens could be suspected terrorists for having food & munitions. The only source that claimed as much was Rand Paul (and news stories reporting on what he said).

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...2hr1540enr.pdf

If anyone else can find any information that I can't, please post below. At this point, it looks to me like Rand is just being melodramatic, per the usual.

Just my two cents.

Sounds to me the guy was just kidding.
    He works in an "off the grid" shop, for God's sake...y'all don't think he's got a few supplies of his own?
    We all need to lighten up a little.

Tried to post something on here awhile ago and it said my post had to be reviewed by a moderator. Is that normal? I didn't use any profanity...

Everywhere you go you will be looked at as a lunatic if you like being prepared. You know how many times a day I am laughed at or jokingly made fun of for carrying an EDC pack? I just smile and nod my head because some of those people come up to me asking if I have a zip tie, tape, or something else needed for work and I just say, "One sec while I get in my jester's kit."

Shoot, there was a fire in a building not too long ago and we got the go ahead from the FD that it was good to go in. As there was no power it was dark in the offices we were recovering HDDs from and low and behold there was light. Everyone looked back and I had my headlamp on. I then handed out two other mini lights I have in my bag. I got laughed at, but the work was able to be completed because I had my bag.

Thanks, Rick.
    The guy was pulling my leg, but I didn't know where the comment "came from".
    I haven't purchased more than two weeks of food from anyone because I have different food for different situations. I didn't know I was hindering the war on terror.
    I will report myself to the authorities immediately.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

girlfromstelle - Yes, moderation is required for any member that has less than 10 posts and their post contains a link or picture. It helps us keep spam down.

As to your comments on the NDAA. It does NOT include American citizens and specifically excludes us. Go to Subtitle D - Section 1201 (Counterterrorism), paragraph E.

"Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."

If they catch you in the mountains of Afghanistan I would image all bets are off, however.

Geek - I home DHS is serious about home grown terrorists. They have gone a bit overboard on occasion, the Hutaree Militia being an example apparently, but when watching the bad guys some good guys will invariable be looked at, too. I think it's unfortunate but nearly unavoidable.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well I was crossing the Maumee river the other day, and had most of my preps in the boat taking them to my summer cabin. And that darned aluminum boat had a cracked weld in the hull. Lost all of my preps, my whistle, my Bob, and my tent. So now I guess I just lost my terrorist card................shucks

Mom always said every cloud has a silver lining. or...you're a boat half full kind of a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    girlfromstelle - Yes, moderation is required for any member that has less than 10 posts and their post contains a link or picture. It helps us keep spam down.

As to your comments on the NDAA. It does NOT include American citizens and specifically excludes us. Go to Subtitle D - Section 1201 (Counterterrorism), paragraph E.

"Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."

If they catch you in the mountains of Afghanistan I would image all bets are off, however.

Geek - I home DHS is serious about home grown terrorists. They have gone a bit overboard on occasion, the Hutaree Militia being an example apparently, but when watching the bad guys some good guys will invariable be looked at, too. I think it's unfortunate but nearly unavoidable.
    Having been inside thw WTC when it was hit, you would think that the TSA could figure out whether they need to xray me every time I get on a plane. On the other hand I may or may not have more than 3 rounds of ammo, so I guess that makes me suspicious. :-)