Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife toss up !

Default knife toss up !

ok guys so im looking for a new knife and im kinda stuck so im reaching out for some input so im stuck between 3 choices
    the gerber lmf 2
    the gerber prodigy
    and the sog seal pup
    now i got a few knifes but none of them have a serrated edge on them and i found its a big time saver whal wood working and im just looking for some input on these knives so if you have them or have used any of them id like to hear what you all have to say
    thanks guys
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

1. Why not ask this in the Knife section? We have that area set aside for knife questions.

2. You WANT serations?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do not like serrated blade knives, just me though.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

did not know there was a knife discussion area here sorry
    and yes im looking for a good knife with serrations on it not fully serrated tho
    My Youtube Playlist

I moved this to the knives section.

I'm not sure I understand serrated used on wood. Serrated is generally for rope and cordage. Wood use generally requires a push cut or finer, detailed work. Both are better with a plain blade. Think of the blade on a plane being pushed against the wood. That will give you the idea. Serrated works best on a slicing cut. Think of a saw blade or chain saw. Since most of your knife cuts on wood are pushing or detail you'd be better off with a plain blade, in my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

hmm thanks for the input rick
    last week my friend and i where making a few primitive traps and we where making 7 notches and his compact bear gryls survival knife mad short work of the notching whal my buck struggled at the same task both are straight edges are equal to each other as i sharpened them both he used his serrated edge and it was more effective for what we where doing
    My Youtube Playlist

Out of the knives you listed, I prefer the Seal Pup - but without serrations. IMO if the knife you are using does not cut to the point where you need to use a serrated edge then your knife is just not sharp. Practicing and honing (pun intended) your sharpening technique would be prudent. Serrated edges are a very poor choice IMO for wood work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Serrations, while useless for almost everything else on earth are at least pretty good for cutting bread and rope.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

no fans of serrated edges here huh lol i dont think that the sharpness of the blade is the issue it cuts paper and shaves arm hair could the thickness of the blade be a issue ?
    My Youtube Playlist

or it could be operator error lol
    My Youtube Playlist

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The only time I use a seratted blade is at Golden Corral on steak night.

The only reason I use it then is because using my EDC blade would cause a panic.

Well, strange stares anyway.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Since we don't know what kind of wood work you were doing we can only talk in generalities. And yes, differences in blades and operator error could certainly play a role. Not with me, you understand, but I've heard talk.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Point of information: a serrated cutting edge meant for use on wood is called a... wait for it...
    'Saw'

As a side-bar: am I the only one who prefers a sharp, real blade for a table-knife?
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Point of information: a serrated cutting edge meant for use on wood is called a... wait for it...
    'Saw'

As a side-bar: am I the only one who prefers a sharp, real blade for a table-knife?
    No you're not.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

I'm ashamed to admit this but my wife makes me put the Mora away when we have company over. I like a plain blade, too. But KY's excuse sounds reasonable to me. Of course, if panic set in he'd have a lot more room at the salad bar.

yeah KYRat; here that would be considered brandishing and get one a nice hotel stay on the taxpayer's dime.

Canid - We're talking no lines at Golden Corral and a free room for the night. Hello.....

Fair enough, though one might conceivably sit in that free room for longer than the minimum sentence term before even getting the case thrown out. Best save that plan for the hot summer months. It'll save on the cooling bill back at home, and could work out as a win-win.

knife toss up
    Whoa, whoa, whoa....that's a good way to get a nasty cut!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

knife toss up !
    Mumblety-peg??????

For you young'ins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared