Thread: Rainy day reloading

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Rainy day reloading

Today was range day at the club but they do not shoot in the rain. Started out real chilly this morning w/20MPH winds out of the south. I decided to pass.

Got set up and turned out a batch of reloads.

I cranked out 50 rounds for the 30-30 using the Hornady soft tip polymers. I found a load that gives good balistics and shoots to the same POA as factory. 50 rounds will hold me for a while. The 30-30 is not one I shoot for recreation. It's a work rifle.

Also ran out 50 rounds of 30-06 in the old standby load and a test batch loaded a bit hotter. I have an old Speer Vol.1 reloading manuel that gives 30-06 loads a full 6-8 grains over what is now considered max. Their "starting loads" are right at max in the modern books. 3,100fps 150gn 30-06 loads really smoke along with authority! I always laugh when folks talk about 30-06 and .308 being "equil balistically".

That same book does not contain .308 load info. It was not invented yet!

And I did run out another batch of .308. I think I am beginning to see what that cartridge needs to keep the groups close. My gun seems to like stiff loads and will not group well until I am right on max recomended loading. Makes things rough on the shoulder though.

Wish I could find me one of those little 340 Savage bolt actions in 30-30 at a good price. They are scarce as hens' teeth around here. I would like o have a soft shooting 30 caliber to play with at the range.

Maybe I can soft load the 7.62x54 and run twinkie loads through the old Russian rifle! At the prices they sell for I could build a dedicated cast bullet shooter to play with.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I need to drag my stuff out and do a little reloading too. I've got a little comp with the mosin next week. Mine likes the middle of the road. However, they all perform about the same. Any advise?

Need to get down and start, or at least pour some .379's for the 38/55.....
    Loading up for this week-ends duck hunting opening day....heading out to "The place' and get the boat ready.

Just gorgeous outside today high 70's, worked on cleaning out the red trailer, for loading up for jamboree.....so my re-loading is behind.

I don't shoot either 30-06 much or .308 at all....so I take your word for it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I need to drag my stuff out and do a little reloading too. I've got a little comp with the mosin next week. Mine likes the middle of the road. However, they all perform about the same. Any advise?
    Not on reloading for the 7.62x54! I have dies and I have bullet molds but I have not reloaded asingle empty in that caliber.

I can buy the surplus rounds fourteen cents cheaper than I can buy primers and slugs for reloading, plus it takes those .311 slugs that fit none of my other rifles, so I have put it off.

I may try it if I can find some pull down bullets from AK real cheap. 125 gn slugs should ove out real fast.

Plus my 91/30 shoots surplus into groups better than most of my other guns shoot factory ammo.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is what I'm throwing: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148...oint-boat-tail
    I'd have to look at my data for the other stuff.