Thread: Where is the best deal on mylar bags?

Default Where is the best deal on mylar bags?

I am browsing for mylar bags. Where do most of you buy yours? I'm looking to get them as cheap as I can, unless that will make the undependable. I plan to buy half gallon or 1 gallon size since there are only 2 people in my family and I don't want to open a 5 gallon bag for 1 or 1 meals. And it looks like 1 gallon bags are the most ecomonical at 34 cents. And with oxygen absorbers, what is the most economical size?Should I use 300 or 500cc for 1 gallon bags?
    Last edited by sofasurfer; 09-24-2012 at 04:16 AM.

I buy on amazon. But I cant answer about one gallon as we buy 5 gallon. Just a thought though, have you thought about doing both? Use a 5 gallon to store and a one gallon to work out of. mwp

I also reuse potato chip and other munchy mylar bags, from snack vending machine size to the large family bags I simply use my Food Saver to seal them
    Semper Paratus

What a great idea!! Now I am trying to recall if the bags have a seam up the back or am I thinking of bags from 30 years ago... Does the Food Saver draw down a vacuum too or are they too smooth?
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

my one gal bags were cheaper at discountmylar and 5gal bags with 02 combo is cheapest on amazon.

The food saver will not vacuum seal a mylar bag, they are too smooth, however if you take a small strip of a food saver bag and tuck in the top of the mylar you should be able to get bag to vacuum seal. Look for some videos on you tube also.

Hey guys!

I have quite a bit of experience in storing grain and dried foods in mylar bags! You have to watch to not fold mylar bags more than once as otherwise you'll start to get pin-hole tears in them. This can be a real problem when you're talking long-term. I mainly use a shop called Mylar Shop. Another thing you have to watch out for is when you're buying oxy absorbers you're going to need some way to reseal them as, if left open to the air, they're going to run out quickly!

Kev