Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which survival knife?

Default Which survival knife?

I am looking for a good survival knife. From what I have found the KA-BAR Johnson Adventure Potbelly Knife and the Becker Combat Bowie BK9 seem to be the best bet for me(quality and price). Any advice between the 2? Pros and cons?

~Thanks~

What type of survival are you gonna use them for?

You really need one of these.

http://www.buck-184.com/

All my really Kool friends either have one of these strapped to their belt or want one.

FWIW I want survival knife that is short enough to be able to be easily carried on my belt. Strong enough to use a a mini pry bar, easily sharpened, lightweight and easy to maintain. My max length is a 7 inch blade. For me anything longer then that I might as well carry a small axe or a machette.

I am a firm believer in at least two (2) knives for survival one of which would be a HD folder. One to be carried on/in your gear and the other to be secured to your person.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

First tell me a bit about yourself and where you think you will be using the knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

General bushcraft.... a good combo is the Becker BK2 and a good multi-tool....the BK9 is a bit long IMO.

The top end of the sheath is a POS on the BK2 though.....If you got some $$$$ to throw at it....grab a sheath from Hedgehog Leather.....or for $30 bucks get a Kydex off ebay.

I went to the hardware store and found enough stuff to mod mine....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

If I were tossed out in to nowhere....the BK2 would be my choice.....also if I had to field dress a Buick....it would work in either case.

Can we get an instructional vid on field dressing a Buick? (that right there is funny I don't care who you are)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had to do that once when it needed a gasket job.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I am mostly into hunting and camping. Not a survivalist but trying to be more self-reliant. I am just looking for a good, quality, all around blade for most needs. Both of these knives seem to get great reviews wherever I look. And yes cost is an issue.....Was a little hesitant about coming on here. I'm not a knife guy and didn't want my azz handed to me by the knife snobs, lol. I'm used to the guys on the gun forums but at least I can hold my own there

We don't have knife snobs here, but it is helpful to know what you want to use it for. You know - things like geography, climate, normal activities, etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Look at the Mora line of knives. You have a lot to choose from. All good quality and very inexpensive. You can buy three Mora's for what you'll pay for that BK2 and have three good tools.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Can we get an instructional vid on field dressing a Buick? (that right there is funny I don't care who you are)
    That's a bit too much sheet metal and oil for a family friendly forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Look at the Mora line of knives. You have a lot to choose from. All good quality and very inexpensive. You can buy three Mora's for what you'll pay for that BK2 and have three good tools.
    Thanks man. Will do

Don't get me wrong...the BK9 is a good quality knife....I have one....for camping it's a great knife....a bit big for skinning though.....heck...the BK2 is a bit big for skinning.....I use a little Mora and a gut hook for dressing.

Crash; You're gonna have to do an instructional illustrating just how one uses a knife for geography next.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Will do. Gotta pick up that globe from the local school first.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We don't have knife snobs here, but it is helpful to know what you want to use it for. You know - things like geography, climate, normal activities, etc.
    Central Alabama. So, good humid weather.

For a basic field knife, I have carried a USGI US Air Force survival knife for over 20 years, its a good knife.

Recently I added an M9 bayonet to my ruck, it bigger, stronger and better, but pretty heavy. It will last long enough to pass on to my grand kids, and so on... its a genuine USGI Ontario blade, not a junk knock off.

I am saving for a Golok, the ultimate machette IMHO...

Also try to keep my Gerber multi tool with me if its an over nighter or better... The built in pliers w/cutter makes snare making a breeze and joy.

HTH,
    Andrew

Blog Entries

Cool Arghhh!!!

Not another one!

Okay, I personally own the Becker Combat Bowie, and it's one big mother of a knife, not what I would use for most camping jobs, but good as a machete or field ax. My favorite knife is the Mora 2000, we even have a member who's an Alaskan guide field dress a moose with one, yet the knife is under $40 and Safe Zone carries it along with a whole bunch of other type of Mora knives! (you can find the link to Safe Zone in Rick's signature, and I highly recommend you buy from him, he always takes good care of the members here.) Basically, you can use any knife, even a kitchen knife, as a "survival knife," but what I think you're wanting is a good "camping/field dressing knife. Cody Lundin and Mors Kochanski both use a Mora knife for about anything you can think of. Later on you can add knives you might like just as some of us do!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDawg View Post
    I am looking for a good survival knife. From what I have found the KA-BAR Johnson Adventure Potbelly Knife and the Becker Combat Bowie BK9 seem to be the best bet for me(quality and price). Any advice between the 2? Pros and cons?

~Thanks~
    My first "survival knife" was a BK2 I bought online a couple of months ago. It's a great knife, but I had no idea it would be so heavy. My point is that you should try to find a place where you can actually handle the blades before you buy. My second purchase was a Mora companion and I love it. I've recently got a SOG Field Pup and I also am very happy with it.

Look around a lot before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    Look around a lot before you buy.