Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you char a mushroom?

Default can you char a mushroom?

I've looked through other threads but haven't seen this anywhere. I've started making char cloth, and I've looked at natural materials that have been used for this, but I've never seen where a mushroom has been used as char material. Anyone try this?

I'm not sure why you would need to since a couple make a natural tinder to begin with. But to your question, I have not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have not tried to char any fungi (other than that one cooking episode back in '75). I have use some horse hoof fungi (not sure of the proper name) for tinder. I don't see why you couldn't. I've tried cattail fluff (after somebody posted about it) so I would think it should work. I'll harvest some on my next hike and give it a try.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I got the idea after reading about tinder fungus. Unfortunately, I don't think tinder fungus grows in the Rocky Mountain area. However, we do get a variety of mushrooms. I'm going to try charring one and see what happens.

it's not charred but there is a tinder made from fungus called armdou. I was used for catching sparks and if memory serves I think I read that ozti the iceman carried some.

That sounds great. Can it be found in Colorado?

Hey Stiffy,
    The answer is yes! Here is what I know: Tinder fungus... a confusing common name for Fomes fomentarius or the birch horse-hoof fungus is the one that can be processed into amadou. Amadou is like a fungal felt and it will catch a spark from flint and steel (not to be confused with the modern fire steels). But if you take good quality amadou and burn it in a low oxygen environment (your char box) it becomes an astoundingly good tinder.
    If you can't find that species or if it is too much trouble to make amadou, the pore layer on the underside of most shelf fungi (conks) can be dried and charred to make decent flint and steel tinder. Actually, if they are quite dry, they make a great hearthboard for a friction fire too. No need to char it if you want a hearthboard.
    And if you want a wick for your fat lamp, a little bit of the pore surface burns forever.
    Have fun with it.

Thanks. I'll try to find some next time I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale E O View Post
    Hey Stiffy,
    The answer is yes! Here is what I know: Tinder fungus... a confusing common name for Fomes fomentarius or the birch horse-hoof fungus is the one that can be processed into amadou. Amadou is like a fungal felt and it will catch a spark from flint and steel (not to be confused with the modern fire steels). But if you take good quality amadou and burn it in a low oxygen environment (your char box) it becomes an astoundingly good tinder.
    If you can't find that species or if it is too much trouble to make amadou, the pore layer on the underside of most shelf fungi (conks) can be dried and charred to make decent flint and steel tinder. Actually, if they are quite dry, they make a great hearthboard for a friction fire too. No need to char it if you want a hearthboard.
    And if you want a wick for your fat lamp, a little bit of the pore surface burns forever.
    Have fun with it.
    Thanks for the advice, have been picking up horse hoof fungus all over the place, but I think mine are "duds", the won't catch a spark, and won't burn even if I try to light them with a a BIC.

Was wondering about the hearth board.....and I am fan of char cloth........gonna give it a try.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just so you know, there are 2 horse hoof shaped fungi that grow on birch. One is Fomes fomentarius (tinder fungus or false tinder fungus depending on who you talk to) and it is the traditional one for making amadou. It has a thin layer just below the hard outer surface that produces the amadou. This one has an outer surface that is banded but not rough and cracked.

A second species looks almost the same, but has a darker, usually cracked grey upper surface. It is also sometimes called false tinder fungus (species name Phellinus igniarius). You can check for images by species name on line. It can work, but it isn't as good.
    Actually, most shelf fungi have fire related uses. Check out this article: http://www.primitiveways.com/Amadou%20substitutes.html

If you decide to char it, the best stuff (amadou) is very flexible and soft before it is charred, and remains flexible after charring.

Photo of some Fomes amadou I processed and later charred.
    Fomes amadou.jpg
    Last edited by Pale E O; 10-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Oh man, does it mean you are nuts if you reply to your own post?
    Consider this an edit if it does.
    I realized there are of course more than two species of birch hoof shaped fungi/conks. So I guess I should have said there are two that are often confused for each other.
    Also thought anyone interested in this thread might want to read Storm's article on fire and fungus:
    http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surv...ore/part3.html
    From this URL you can read all 3 sections.
    OK... I will go back to talking to myself.

Don't worry about it. People talk to themselves all of the time around here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They do not.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sure they do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I won't believe it until I see it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stop, stop... you are killing me.