Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For what doth thou ready thyself......???

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    For what doth thou ready thyself......???

OK, so the title is a bit missleading.......me bad puppy. Now what I really want to know is what is the worst "Quality" of life that you could imagine befalling you.....?
    No matter how bad things are, I want to know what is going to happen next. I think that's a common trait that keeps many people going. So I believe my worst case scenerio would be to not know. I want my radio, television, internet, or whatever, so I can keep track of events throughout the world. That's one reason that a good radio is part of my emergency pack. I hate the idea of thinking that things are falling apart out there, but having no way to keep track of it all. I'm appalled at the idea of sitting around in the dark, not knowing what's coming.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    I'm appalled at the idea of sitting around in the dark, not knowing what's coming.
    Have you considered that your need to be in control, most likely makes you extremely at risk.

Have you considered that your need to be in control, most likely makes you extremely at risk.
    That's true of 99.9% of the members here.

That number might be a little low.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That number might be a little low.
    I was excluding kids.

Oh. Right. Carry on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I didn't mean to say that I want control. More important to me is information. I know I can't control what's happening, but I can make decisions based on knowledge.

Let me get pedantic (split hairs) because I'm bored.
    I'm looking for control. Knowledge, i.e. information gives me more control. More control gives me more influence, and affects the outcome in my favor. That's what I'm aiming for in any survival situation, in fact, in any situation.
    Why would you want anything less?

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Let me get pedantic (split hairs) because I'm bored.
    I'm looking for control. Knowledge, i.e. information gives me more control. More control gives me more influence, and affects the outcome in my favor. That's what I'm aiming for in any survival situation, in fact, in any situation.
    Why would you want anything less?
    I also get bored. But I know I can't control an earthquake, or an international outbreak of small pox, or a global thermo nuclear war. Of course, I believe you are referring to control on a personal level. I agree with that. And I also believe that my ability to control my immediate environment depends on my knowledge of what could affect my environment. Therefore, my dependance on knowing what I might be facing.

Is pedantic anything like obtuse? 'Cause I've been called obtuse before. But I've never been called pedantic. I got called at 4:00 in the morning once.

Don't be silly. Pedantic is when your foot starts acting up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ooooooh. Okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is pedantic anything like obtuse? 'Cause I've been called obtuse before. But I've never been called pedantic. I got called at 4:00 in the morning once.
    See, I knew that was coming, which is why I put "split hairs" in parent...pedantic=splitting hairs
    Now I know all about obtuse. (we've been accused of that recently) Obtuse is good especially when done on purpose. I try practise it every chance I get.

I prepare for unemployment, which I just barely survived 6 weeks of.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

That can be, and is, a true SHTF situation. I'm glad you're back on the employment roles.

So pedantic isn't something you would go see a pedicurist for, it is split ends so you go to your hairstylist. Got it!

Either that or some jewelry you wear around your neck. I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I was thinking of what I prep for mostly hurricanes.

Crash nailed it though. I have a damned near 100% spinal impingement. Know one is sure how I got it, But two disks are gone and the orthopedic surgeon says he hasn't seen many live out their life with an injury like that and not have surgery. He said he didn't even know how I could stand.

I have moments of some light pain or numbness. Though occasionally I am at a 10 on the pain scale writhing on the ground unable to even get close to comfortable.

I am 6' 3" and was always around 195lbs> I could tote the world and often did. I could carry and load 3 bags of sakrete at a time onto the deck of my crane truck. That is 240 lbs. I carried steel poles that weighed much more. I once carried a 12" pipe that was 10' or 12' long 50 yards. Now I am limited to what I can carry or I will suffer months of repercussions.

I have progressively gotten use to the pain. I don't lock up as I know that is so much worse. But, I wonder what will happen in my future. It really sucks when I am a bent man at 44 years old. Folks look at you. But, I have dealt with that off and on since I was 27.

Still, I understand the fear of being bed ridden!
    I think it's safe to say where your spinal impingement comes from.

I have a knife that is so sharp, it will filet a human hair, so is my knife pedantic