Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for ideas for boy scouts

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like you had a good outing.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

552702_4237143685667_290868529_n.jpg The weekend went great. thanks for all the ideas.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good to hear, wilderness survival is always fun with the scouts. I'm sure they will remember the weekend for the rest of their lives.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

next month is orienteering merit badge and search and rescue. should be fun! all the scouts did great no one gave up even though it got down to 31 degrees.

Looks like you had a successful campout. Good luck with orienteering. I have been trying hard with that one, with little success. One kid gets it and is extremely bored because the rest just can't grasp it, so I have to repeat a lot.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

with orienteering i put them in groups of about five and give them index cards with degree and distance. they shoot there own bearing and take off when they all stop they look how far away from each other they are and then regroup in the middle and start the next index card. it helps to put an older scout in each group to help them out. that gets them basic compass skills before i get the maps out and start teaching those skills.

I have been trying to teach them how to determine where they are on a map, and how to use that info to get to a second point. The only reason they need a compass is to tell north from south (meaning I haven't taken them past this point). I have printed out maps of their own neighborhood, and made houses the individual points. They have to write down the address of the house that I put a dot on. Street names are listed. Yet, most have a hard time with this exercise. One kid doesn't though. Sometimes I do the opposite, and write down the address, and then they have to put a dot on the correct house. This is real world stuff that they will have to master.....and yet.....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a great outing for the kids.
    I'm glad there are folks like you who invest their time this way.

Have you ever looked at the Wildwood Survival site? It has lots of shelters similar to those you've used, and all sorts of things on survival from snares, shelters, food, fire starting techmiques and others. It reminds me of boy scout activities.

So do we. Just sayin'........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Have you ever looked at the Wildwood Survival site? It has lots of shelters similar to those you've used, and all sorts of things on survival from snares, shelters, food, fire starting techmiques and others. It reminds me of boy scout activities.
    That site has some cool stuff I've never thought of, this ones pretty cool.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Cool site I will bookmark it for the boys to look at...Thanks

As an Eagle Scout (August 2006) it looks like your troop is very active and you've done an awesome job getting these scouts to experience and learn a lot. Some of this stuff I've done and some of the things I never got to do during my time in scouting. I commend you on your awesome work with these boys!

One of my favorite outings was a winter survival camping trip when the temp never rose above -26F the entire weekend. It actually caused one of the scoutmaster's radiators to freeze solid and crack, so we had to call out a tow truck on Sunday morning as we were all packing up. It sure costs a lot to have to tow truck drive about 90 minutes out of town to come get a car!