Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What? Me worry?

Your first few paragraphs are spot on. As to the Killing Fields of Cambodia, et. al., could it happen here, sure, under the right circumstances but that's not what the OP was about. It's was about food shortages in the here and now. The countries you selected were not ruled by open commerce. They were ruled by dictators. In the here and now Kroger, Walmart, Shopco, Costco, ad infinitum are ruled by the bottom line. They want you to spend money so they will have products for you to buy. Those two scenarios are a world apart and the reason our grocery stores are a cornucopia of food stuffs.

The short and simply part of this is that this year's crops are not as good as they have been in the recent past but no where near as bad as the mid 90's and before. To think that this year's crops will produce a world wide famine or even one here in the US is short sighted. Folks need to investigate stuff for themselves and stop listening to the bobble heads that have been proclaiming gloom and doom for the last half dozen years. Folks also need to remember that those same folks are generally selling something they want you to buy and promoting panic is part of their sales pitch whether it be precious metals or emergency food.

Should you have food stores? Of course and all the other stuff we talk about. You need it as a safety net because SHTF, as we've seen on here, has many definitions. You need it as a hedge against inflation and you need it because I just might stop by with my outlaws for dinner.

KY - You and I need to find a good warm fire and share a cup of ginger ale. I'm sure the two of us can spin some yarns and aggravate the snot out of each other.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    Why haven't you built the laser already?
    I'm halfway done with the ditch for my partical accelerator.
    It's hard to read the instruction sheet. Some of it appears to be in a language other than American.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

It's probably Klingon...can't help you.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

there's one thing worse than a sparsely stocked grocery store and that's not having any money to buy even if it is well stocked.

This ain't too fun either: There's plenty of stuff to choose from, the price can't be beat, but you have NOwhere to put it. Unless, you turn yourself into one of those certifiable hoarders...which means you'll never ever have anyone over for anything for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    KY - You and I need to find a good warm fire and share a cup of ginger ale. I'm sure the two of us can spin some yarns and aggravate the snot out of each other.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...l-WSF-Jamboree Just sayin....
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Alright, somewhere in the midst of "It will never happen to me" and "The sky if falling!" is an area filled with people that stop each night to purchase what they will eat for the evening meal and the next mornings breakfast. There is no other food in the house except for a can of tomato soup and a box of corn flakes.

Four days might not do them in. One bridge going down in Minnisota might not have an affect on me in NKY. (Rick you are really streching the rubber band here) Snow in Kansas might not cause a famine in Alabma. Joe next door being unemployed for 2 years and HIS family living on beans and rice, while they wait for his disability check for depression to arrive, does not mean I am in a famine situation.

A nationwide disaster might do the trick. Seems that the concept of a national emergency has vanished with the end of the Cold War.

So has the memory of the Killing Fields of Cambodia, the goologs of Russia and the "Harvest of Sorrow" in the Ukraine, the starvation of the Warsaw Getto and all those nasty things that "can not happen here".

Perhaps it is the fact that I taught history for too long and remmber more than names of dead white guys and dates. I can point to way too many famines engineered by the governments that used food supply as a weapon to keep their people in line.

I do not trust anyone that has a vested interest in maintaining ther status or power, or anyone that is dependent on that group for their allotment of food.
    Right on to that brother! I think one day the government will feel that they have lost control of the sheeple and they will start playing all kinds of games to get back control. Taking away food would be a good one, then yjey give food to the ones they want to gain control over! It is funny that they want to control us, but cannot even control their own spending, or making good decisions and laws for this country, so I guess control is all they can hope for!

Think through the logistics of that for a moment.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Think through the logistics of that for a moment.
    I think about that quite often...how would any.of this be done?

What wakes me up is major disaster.
    In 66 or 67, we had +6 feet of snow fall, right here where I sam l
    i
    ving. One of the biggest challenges was that the roofs of two out of three of out grocery stores caved in, both to the extent that they were unsafe to enter. Took a couple of days for volunteers to shore them up sand get the supplies out.
    People were snowed in, big-time, and this little boy helped on teams delivering supplies.
    That was a town of around 12,000, and the logistics were daunting. How could anyone set up a scenario like that except mother nature?
    I do think it can happen to me, but I don't think it will be "man"...all that man can do is destroy the economy, and is proving it.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.