Thread: Heat Treating Carbon Steel Update

Default Heat Treating Carbon Steel Update

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thats cool but what if you dont have all the heat treat equipment is it possable to heat treat with wood
    fixed blades : rather have one and not need it than need it an not have one!
    My Youtube Playlist

Thanks for the tutorial....I just bought a kiln about that size from an estate sale....the controller needs to be repaired though.

The anti-scaling compound....I did see that right...Brownells?....What's the chemical make up?
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by ctdcb18b View Post
    thats cool but what if you dont have all the heat treat equipment is it possable to heat treat with wood
    You can heat treat without an oven. A wood fire will not give you the temperatures that you need though. A forge will, and you can achieve good results......but IMO the heat treatment is the most important part of making a knife. I like the oven because I can precisely control the temperatures and achieve repeatable results.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial....I just bought a kiln about that size from an estate sale....the controller needs to be repaired though.

The anti-scaling compound....I did see that right...Brownells?....What's the chemical make up?
    This is what I used in the vid. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...ALING-COMPOUND It's good for temps below 1650. For temps above 1650 I use http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-SCALE-COATING or stainless steel foil. The higher temps I use for the air quenched steels.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Loved the video Crash!
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

When I forge weld in my propane or coal fired forge I use 20 Muleteam Borax. I forms the same anti scaling coating (like glass) as the Brownells compound but is a lot cheaper,
    just thought I would offer and alternative.
    Life member NRA
    Life member Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Live member A.F.& A.M. (Masonic Lodge)
    Big Bore Air Rifle Shooter