Thread: Eating insects and worms in a survival situation

Default Eating insects and worms in a survival situation

As I re-read the basic needs to survive, I always think a lot about this part.

To maintain our body eat worms and insects. (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-1.php)
    They are everywhere, and they are easy to catch. So let's imagine, I have shelter and enough water in a survival situation, thus I can think about food.

A healthy human can live for long days without food. If I am in serious trouble, should I immediately start eating them to keep my strength and health, or should I look for small animals first, and insects and worms are the last possibility? Are there any "good" order to look for food?

BTW have you ever tried or were forced to eat insects and worms?
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Insects are eaten all over the world as a relatively easy to gather source of good protein. I have thought about raising worms and other commonly eaten insects as a food source. I believe that you won't be as much of a target for the zombie hordes because there are a lot of people (my wife included) who say they would rather starve than eat insects. My 2 cents...

Look for everything at once. Shove the little beasties that you find in you pocket as you seek the elusive squirrel, bunny, snake, etc.
    Except for some grubs, I have always cooked my insect fair. In fact, you had better cook grasshoppers.
    Food is like fire tender; harvest it when and where you find it.
    We did this stuff all the time when we were hunting, but it was more of a game then...not survival.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

It depends on the environment to determine what to go after. In most places insect populations are low or non-existent during the winter so you may not have a choice. I would have no problem eating insects and/or worms. I've done so in the past but never under a survival scenario.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Just so you understand, if I'm near a decent body of water where fish are prevalent, I DON'T eat the bait!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Just remember most insects are high in protein if your having water shortage problems try and eat little. Protein foods require more water to digest than other foods. As for when should you collect them in a non existant food senario maintain insects as you go, do not eat brightly colored usally this is a sign of toxicity. Another good way is to make a stew toss in your insects, wild edibles or even add to needle tea for a energizing healthful soup.
    Semper Paratus

Understand! Thank you! So "it depends on the environment to determine what to go after".

When I have the opportunity to catch small game or fish, I can use insects as bait.
    And, if I understand well, I can cook them in a pot of water, mix it with plants and leaves when fate is not my friend, and I cannot hunt for bigger animals.

BTW I don't have problems to swallow insects, I ran a lot in the woods, I did it accidentally a lot of times. I always got the bitter ones.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by el-amigo View Post
    Understand! Thank you! So "it depends on the environment to determine what to go after".

When I have the opportunity to catch small game or fish, I can use insects as bait.
    And, if I understand well, I can cook them in a pot of water, mix it with plants and leaves when fate is not my friend, and I cannot hunt for bigger animals.

BTW I don't have problems to swallow insects, I ran a lot in the woods, I did it accidentally a lot of times. I always got the bitter ones.
    Hi el-amigo!

When we talk about eating in survival situation, we usually are talking about eating quite small pieces of food overall like couple insects, plants, mushrooms and berries now and then. So, energy via calories you will get from that stuff is not usually much, BUT what is my experience, the short energy boost you will get when eating atleast something is significant, because it seems that when eating something, your brains are lying to your body amount of food which is actually coming down. So when thinking about 'survival eating tactics' here is a couple of ideas:

- Like you wrote and others said, eating is not the first thing to think about, but you can start to gather food while also doing other things
    - Hunting is not easy with improvised equipment and also takes lot of energy, so you probably will do much better by collecting stuff and fishing
    - When you need to do something that takes energy, like building shelter or making fire, save your food just before that point to get the energy boost to help you

Hope this helps,

Artzi

Thank you, I think now it is clear.

In a survival situation I have to take into consideration my own condition, chances and the environment.
    If I am safe (shelter, water, fire and health) I can think about hunting (trapping) for bigger animals and fishing.
    While the circumstances are bad, I can eat worms and insects to maintain my body and health.

Correct?

Thank you, I think now it is clear.

In a survival situation I have to take into consideration my own condition, chances and the environment.
    If I am safe (shelter, water, fire and health) I can think about hunting (trapping) for bigger animals and fishing.
    While the circumstances are bad, I can eat worms and insects to maintain my body and health.

Correct?
    ... and promise yourself never give up!

Very well said Artzi, I find that to be good advice.

Coming from a military background I often must fight the urge to get it done as quick as possible and at "all cost".
    It makes sense to me now thanks to you that I must be observant of my activities in relation to food/energy for a positive outcome in the end.

Kind regards,
    Andrew

You need to be opportunistic. Don't pass up a meal because you are looking for, or doing something else. Basically....what jfeather said.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have never taken an edible plants class, and I have looked gor one over the last couple of years.
    So I know what my Daddy taught me and what people taught me out there.
    Just Saturday, an old buddy who taught desert survival...well... asked me about a mushroom. There are two mushroom that look alike, except for the markings on their tops; they both have white gills. One is edible and the other will, literally, kill you.
    That's the other part; knowing for sure what you are eating. I am still weak, there. I have a dozen or so plants and three mushrooms that I am comfortable with...others need not apply.
    Wish I could find a class...

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    Wish I could find a class...
    He can help: http://www.codylundin.com/
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I always concentrate on the easy edibles and build from there, the easiest one is cattail,many will say dandelion is easier , yes but not always palatable the older it gets the more bitter. As for mushrooms a very easy one is Dryads Saddle, theres no look alikes, grows many places. Young milkweed pods before they turn brown, once they turn brown they are poisnous, I like 1"-2" cook as a unit shell and all, the larger ones before they turn brown I take the silk from inside boil it and eat like cheese. Nature is like a grocery store if you put in the time to learn it.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Nope...to busy with Dual...can't walk well enough to do the classes he makes time for now.

BTW have you ever tried or were forced to eat insects and worms?
    Not forced to but eating grubs was one of the "exersizes" (sp?) we did during survival training when I was in the army. Not at the top of my favorite foods but edible.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.