Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite panfish and why?

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Have you ever tried bullhead? To me they are the best eating catfish I have had.
    I have, and they always had a taste that I can only describe as "muddy".
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

my favorite would have to be blue gill , they eat real good . river worms & a bober on a ultra lite . good luck to ya .
    what one man can do , another man can do .

Crappie, bluegill or sunfish, any member of the perch family. Reasons. Flaky meat when fried. In this area anyway they're anywhere you fish and easy to catch. My all time favorite is walleye or sauger but not around here and not known as panfish although I think they are members of the perch clan.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I like the small brook trout, but the lakers aren't as good for me. I like bass, pike and walleye, but I prefer the crappie, bluegill and perch. Crappie have a soft meat, but bigger here than the gills. Gills have a very tasty solid meat. If I had to include the cleaning along with the eating, I would choose the perch since they have thin ribs that cut like butter when filleting and have soft scales that are removed easy. I usually fillet and skin, but the wife wants a fish to look like a fish when she eats it, so I scale too and leave the head and tail on and just gut them for her.

Crappie and gills.

#1 Crappie
    #2 Croaker

Favorite fish has to be Northern Pike. Favorite pan fish is Rock Bass. Oh yeah, Perch is right up there too.

I grew up in Minnesota....pick one I really love sunfish, crappie and bluegill.....I don't like fishy? tasting fish. I can't stand catfish.

You can't use live bait? for fish? Really?

Corn works......so does dead bait...if you can. Small jigs and spinners work also
    Many fish have been caught with a zebco 33

Walleye, not the greatest fighting fish-but they make up for it in the frying pan.
    "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

I have access to a private lake that is stocked with crappie, and I fish their on my days off. So I say crappie because it is readly avaliable.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    You can't use live bait? for fish? Really?
    In Virginia, you cannot fish in trout stocked areas designated as "Delayed Harvest", regardless of the species you are fishing with live bait (salmon eggs & Power Bait are covered under this broad umbrella by VA DGIF). (Note: The window of designation varies, but for most it is Oct to Apr. Ounce outside of that window you CAN fish with live bait)

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...arvest-waters/

In other areas, such as where I first trout fished (and was an unsuccessful noob), it was a stocked stream, but was NOT delayed harvest so I could fish live or artificial.

Also, in Carvins Cove there are a lot of perch and smart bass, but the only live bait that they allow is night crawlers.

(Link, but no mention of bait regulations)
    http://www.roanokeoutside.com/carvinscove

So I have a variety of water to fish from, and a variety of rules to obey depending on where Im fishing!

When I first started fishing, which is the same time I posted this thread, I did not have my trout stamp yet and was mostly limited to Carvins Cove. That may make the OP make more sense... or not.

Anyway, hope that clears that up.
    Last edited by ElevenBravo; 11-22-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Bluegill, crappie, perch. Or whatever is biting.

Yellow Perch

Walleye, Perch, sunfish, rock bass
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Where I'm at, trout are the most common, and at the size of them here, they are camp fare and pan fish. I grew up on them. We've lately got some crappy and bass, and of the three I love Crappy most, so that's my vote along with a few others here, but when camping it seems anything tastes great like crashdive says. It's just plain fun either way you go. as a panfish bluegill are the most popular, although I'm not to hot on them, but never found a good way to cook them yet either.

I LOVE TROUT! Problem is, as soon as a creek is stocked, the lurkers fish them all out within a week!

EB

Lake Eerie perch is probably one of the best fish I have ever eaten. Next on the list is bluegill, crappy and pike!

Crappie for me!!! My granddad used to take me crappie fishing when I was little. I can still taste that tender flaky meat my grandmother would fry when we returned. Hmmmm gooooddddd!!!

Blog Entries

My favorite panfish is lobster. My favorite veggie is lobster. My favorite cereal is lobster.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

big bluegill or small catfish. Spring time all the fish taste better, too!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com