Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The n00b Lounge

Default The n00b Lounge

The Mods have one, a lounge, I know they do.

While us n00bs are burning up the search button, the Mods are laying around in their lounge. The walls are plastered with portraits of Proenneke, Wiseman, Brill, Onoda, Lundin, Brown, Grylls, and Kochanski. Some are behind lit glass cases. Some have a hand drawn mustache and are used as a dart board. The vendors are sharpening their knives, waxing their boots, and pouring them adult beverages.

The old hats have one too. They meet at the local wild garden, always looking for another natural concoction to cut the vendors out of the equation.

So, welcome to The n00b Lounge. A place to just be a n00b. Ask those stupid questions. And yes there are stupid questions, we should know, we are the ones that make them up. And we encourage even stupider answers here. This is not the place to ask about the best knife, BOB, or to find a location where only eagles dare. What I'm trying to do here is simply point you down the right trail to find your answer. The next post will be reserved for the coffee table, links to some recommended reading for those of us new to the WSF trail system.

The walls here are decorated with the Mothers and Fathers of n00bdom, personalities such as:

Jethro Bodine; This one is especially close to my heart, a Hillbilly n00b. He achieved double naught spy status with only third grade cipherin'.

Barney Fife; The epitome of a n00b under duress. He showed us all exactly how to handle a panic attack. He also showed the confidence that can be gained by having just one bullet.

Lucille Ball; Sweet Lucy, what other n00b can aspire to such style and grace? She showed us all how to sweep things under the rug, and that it is ok to cry when you are caught.

Gilligan; A n00b of such stature that he only needs one name, before him only the great cowboys could receive such an honor. A n00b's n00b, able to voice a stupider answer even before the question is ask.

So come in and have a seat. Pour yourself something to drink, we don't have the support of a vendor bartender. Sure, it's ok to throw the peanut shells on the floor. Mods and old hats, you are welcome too. Just try to remember that you were a n00b once too. Check your guns and knifes at the door, we are not armed with either intellect or hardware here. Gents, take your hats off. Ladies, let your hair down, no buns allowed. We do have an image to maintain.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Last edited by intothenew; 12-02-2012 at 03:52 PM.

This outta be good......great idea......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I forgot my fake ID but if you'll let me sit in the corner with a dunce hat on I'll feel right at home! Can I offer a couple portraits for the wall since I already brought them all the way down the mountain from my underground shipping container shelter?
    I brought a Daisy Duke calender, thinkin there really needs to be a pin-up gal, and I'll leave a spot on that wall for a Mr. Mike poster for the girls to have a pin-up dude too.
    Another I can offer is, what about this velvet painting of McGuiver? He always takes all of my really dumb ideas and Gets Er Dun! He is my Hero! Is there any hazing to go through before I can be a card carrying member?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Default Navigation, Hunting, and the art of Googlefu

The search function here lacks. There is more than one way to skin that cat though. A Google search can be isolated to only one web site, and contains a few more Indian tricks also.

Take the following, copy and paste it directly into a Google search bar or page, remove the quotation marks. I had to add them so the site didn't recognize it as a web address.

site:"www.wilderness-survival.net/forums" possum recipe

The format is simple:

site:followed by the web address you wish to search

then a space, very important, that separates the search term/terms from the web address

then finally your search term/terms

What that will return is only a search from the WSF forum. I make a distinction there because if you remove the "/forums" the search will include the homepage. You may, or may not, want that included.

Google allows several operators to be used in their search function, here is a link that should explain at least some of that.

http://support.google.com/websearch/...&answer=136861
    Last edited by intothenew; 09-13-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    I forgot my fake ID but if you'll let me sit in the corner with a dunce hat on I'll feel right at home! Can I offer a couple portraits for the wall since I already brought them all the way down the mountain from my underground shipping container shelter?
    I brought a Daisy Duke calender, thinkin there really needs to be a pin-up gal, and I'll leave a spot on that wall for a Mr. Mike poster for the girls to have a pin-up dude too.
    Another I can offer is, what about this velvet painting of McGuiver? He always takes all of my really dumb ideas and Gets Er Dun! He is my Hero! Is there any hazing to go through before I can be a card carrying member?
    No ID required. No hazing, yet. Hang anything on the wall that you want, just don't complain when the Cheetos stained fingerprints are on it.

Default Spelwen....spellin.....well you nose wat I means

Just think where Jethro could have ended up if he would have had this kind of help.

I use Firefox as a browser most often, so I'll bite it off first.

By default, Firefox is configured to automatically check spelling. You can check that by the following:

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button, shadow over Options, then click options again.
    Select the Advanced panel.
    Click the General tab.
    Check my spelling as I type.
    Click OK.

You need to choose a language pack. Open a forum page, and pretend to make a post. Intentionally misspell a word, I know it's hard but you can do it. Right click on that word, then choose the appropriate language pack.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Before you hit the reply button, look for any squiggly red lines under any words, chances are you goofed.

For Internet Explorer users, you need to install an add on. I would suggest Speckie, it is the only one that I know of that works on the fly. You can download from the following link.

http://www.speckie.com/dload

Install is easy, and it operates much as the Firefox one. Just right click on the underlined word and you get a few suggestions.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

There is a fantastic Speckie tutorial at the link below.

http://www.howtogeek.com/76223/add-s...et-explorer-9/

I'll get to Chrome in a few.
    Last edited by intothenew; 09-14-2012 at 09:18 PM.

I brought a Daisy Duke calender, thinkin there really needs to be a pin-up girl

But, but.....I thought he said "no buns"
    Jim

Maybe that was a stupider answer to a question that had not been ask.

Wot up, spelin' po-po? OMG

Only if ya wanna. We may have to hand off a grocery and bar stock list somewhere along the line.

i thin ya shold have no rules cause lots of people don use good words and stuff and donin hit enter once in a while so you get a really long cant keep track of wot is goin on

If you want your own lounge...fine. No spittin', hair pullin' or eye gougin'. And your mom don't work here so pick up after yourself!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I just spilled a beer

Mop's in the corner. Have fun.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    i thin ya shold have no rules cause lots of people don use good words and stuff and donin hit enter once in a while so you get a really long cant keep track of wot is goin on
    No rule on the spwellinn Hunter, just a suggestion to get a sober response. If the "saints" don get tha meanin', how we supose to get anywheres.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mop's in the corner. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If you want your own lounge...fine. No spittin', hair pullin' or eye gougin'. And your mom don't work here so pick up after yourself!
    Gotcha Boss, I'm shakin' it, I'm shakin' it here Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I just spilled a beer
    Shameful, that hop gave it's life for you. Pour another, sit down, and enjoy it for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Gotcha Boss, I'm shakin' it, I'm shakin' it here Boss.
    Haven't heard that one for a while.........LOL...Cool Hand Luke

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    ...Cool Hand Luke
    I sincerely hope this does not parallel that script, especially for Luke.