Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: survival kits and how to shoot a bear...

Default survival kits and how to shoot a bear...

This is a great site, though I do have a comment and questions. First, you have never had to shoot a bear - you cannot "aim at the brain" of a polar or any other bear, because no bullet will penetrate the skull! Aim for the nose or if you are unfortunate enough, the open mouth. For my question: I am assembling survival kits (small-ish ones) for northern canada and I have come across conflicting info when it comes to food. Can anyone tell me if chocolate is a good idea or not, (and why), and what type of tea is best, (some say herbal, others say regular tea, others say tea is awful).

Thanks!

I thought they made bullets that would go through steel doors and stuff? Maybe I'm wrong?
    I would carry chocolate. Why? Because I really really like chocolate. Especially Dark Chocolate!!!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Who on God's green Earth told you no bullet would penetrate the skull of a bear?

I am pretty sure that if one can penetrte the skull of an elephant, Cape buffalo, Rhino or any of the other hard headed game animals of the world it can be accomplished on a polar bear.

Where's sourdough, he's probably shot a polar bear or two! Maybe he can help us out here.

Second, chocolate is always a good idea. Never second guess the appropriate nature of chocolate in any circumstance if you are dealing with Americans. I hear butterscotch works on Canadains but can not confirm that.

Third, I think the tea thing is a matter of personal preferance. I want the caffeine of real tea, but would rather have coffee under any circumstance. To me herbals are simply boiled weeds. Like I said, personal preferance, the next guy might want broth or whisky.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh. Thanks Kyratshooter. I forgot about the tea question. I'm from the South so please make it Sweet Tea for me, that's pronounced Sweetie, btw. I like broth in soup and stew and I will drink whiskey but prefer rum.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Speaking of tea.... I just did a video on the weekend about fresh rose hip tea, my first time making or drinking it. Rose hips are chock full of vitamin c and as far as I can figure, caffeine free which is what I think most people are concerned with in the anti tea camp.
    An info link: http://coffeetea.about.com/library/w...03rosehips.htm

To the Bear question Black, I can only answer Black. If we confine it to that, just ahead of mid stride does the trick nicely. And, it is a much bigger window.

Chocolate and tea are not food, they are favors. As Jimmyq points out, some teas can offer some vitamins. Certainly carry some favors, whatever they may be, after you have test carried that pack for a few days.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Chocolate is food. Anyone who's been anywhere with females knows this. If you don't have chocolate you better have a large supply of Midol for yourself 'cause you're gonna have female problems.

Take black tea or coffee. Herb tea can be picked as needed.

I stay out of range of polar bears. I'm pretty clear of them in the lower 48. I only have to deal with silly little black bears, they rarely need killing. When they do, just like a hog in the soft spots. Right behind the ear or under the jaw toward the brain stem.

I'm a small frame woman, I don't like packing a lot of weight. A smaller firearm and be in close. Other than that, practice situational awareness as it applies to bears. I can see them way before they see me.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I like to boil the right amount of water with the tea bag(s) already in it. That way I get every nano-bit of caffeine that I can. Then I load it up with so much sugar that after drinking it I talk non-stop, about a thousand words a minute, for quite some time! According to John "Lofty" Wiseman and other Survival authors/experts, coffee creates thirst, but tea quenches it!

Chocolate with lots of sugar can give you a quick boost of energy as well as lift morale!

As for the bear's skull being so tough that a bullet will not penetrate it I beg to differ. A .50 Cal. Smith & Wesson, or a .454 Rifle round should not only penetrate the skull, but rip it right out of the face! If you happen to find yourself in trouble with a bear and you only have, say, a .22, there are several things you can try:

1.) If you are going to shoot it, aim for the eyes and throat...and have a large clip of ammo...you're going to need it!

2.) Lacking that, pull out your shiny new "survival knife" and show it to the bear. As it doubles over in laughter you can make your escape!

3.) If all else fails, quickly stoop down and assume the fetal position with your head between your knees...then...kiss your a$$ goodbye!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The reason that both chocolate and coffee are zilched off of list is the caffiene; I have never seen another serious reason.
    Advise that I won't be taking. I carry loaded and unloaded tea, the later to rock me to sleep in what would probably a...situation.
    Coffee, as well...loaded.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

First let me say, Welcome to the forum........

Coffee, for me, lots of coffee.
    I have seen a black bear or two, and smelled a few more.....But I don't have to deal with them much....so wouldn't shoot brother bear, unless he gave me no choice.
    I bear country I did carry a .44 mag as I was advise to by our host, (owner of the camp up on Grand Mesa).....never had to use it.

Chocolate is also a favorite of mine, and I do carry it, seems to sooth and give a quick enegery boast, and if it gets too heavy i just eat it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome. I have never shot a bear of any kind or a bare anything. Wouldn't know the north end from the south end unless one end was gnawing on me. Then I might be introduced to the opposite end somewhat later.

Coffee, tea and chocolate for me. I like them all. High test, please. I enjoy the tootsie rolls in the summer because they do not melt in heat. They will melt if they get wet however. Don't ask me how I know and don't mention that to my wife. She's still trying to figure out what was in the washer and just WHO had it in their pockets. I've denied all knowledge and would like to keep it that way.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not too much polar bear experience in my neck of the woods other than the swimmers. I much prefer coffee over tea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum.

Hahahaha, come on SD, I'm dying to know what you think about the OP's bear advice.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Hahahaha, come on SD, I'm dying to know what you think about the OP's bear advice.
    Sometimes it is best to allow the clueless remain clueless.

I've been trying to kill the one that gets in my garbage by sneaking up on him and putting a lit cigarette in his mouth. He will get his is 40 yrs or so.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I too prefer coffee. Chocolate? I am neither for nor against it. It is a good moral booster.

For bears, I have no experience. I am thinking a flare gun might repel a bear? You could also then have dinner cooked too!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

For a charging bear, a shotgun works best, pump loads into his face untill he gives it up, then go eat chocolate and celebrate being alive. And real men drink beer not tea

Seems this was another "one shot wonder'........and I thought we were being "nice"?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

All this talk of bears and here's me, living in the concrete jungle hearing about a black bear cruising backyards this morning.

Image1.jpg