Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handheld crank radio/light/signaller/generater

Default handheld crank radio/light/signaller/generater

i just got this as a gift from my uncle. words cant describe how awesome it is.
    it has an extremily bright magnified 3 LED light. a small bright orange signaller. an AM/FM radio w/ headphone jack. the awesome thing about it is that you can use it to power up anything with a DC-IN SV or USB port (cellphone, digi camera, ipod, the newer handheld game systems, and alot more). 120 cranks (1 min of turning) = an hour of the light , 3 hours of the signaling light (a bright orange flash repeats every .3 of a second) or 25 min of the radio. i have always hated and been against bringing electronics hiking or camping because i hate batteries, but this thing has completially turned me lol. its the size of a flashlight and weighs less then a pound. sorry i dont know exactially what its but i had to tell yall bout it anyway lol

Ive seen something like it but ive never tryed it, Thanks for the info
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

i got sometthing like that but it has 5 leds a radio a compass a cell phone charger and an emrgency siren (the light blinks and its really loud!!!!) i got mine for 20 dollars at walmart

Blog Entries

Cool Wal-Mart quality?????????????

I bought one of those Wal-mart jobs as well and before I got it out to the car the radio antenna broke. The hand-crank is a very feasible solution to the battery problem however. Maybe the Canadian one is worth looking into.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

well ive managed not to brake mine yet but hey nobody ever said walmarts stuff is high quality

I got one of the new Kaito self-powered emergency radios a few weeks ago and it is the best one I have had. I have had several others during the past 15 years or so, but this is the best by far. It is crank powered and has a tilting solar panel and includes an AC/DC adapter. It has seven pre-set weather channels and AM/FM and shortwave. It also has a 5-LED reading light on the solar panel so it can be adjusted to any angle. There is a 1-LED flashlight and a bright red blinking emergency light. It can be charged from a computer that has a USB port and it will charge most cell phones, iPods and MP3's etc. I noticed that the reception is MUCH better than the other emergency radios I have had. I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by Rick; 10-13-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Removed link

Welcome Pioneer Boy. Why not crank your way over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. I hope you don't have any connection to the site you posted. That would be a violation of the forum rules.

EDIT: I removed your link. It looked suspiciously like spam and you didn't respond so....
    Last edited by Rick; 10-13-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a grundig crank radio. It works very well. It also has a light on the front that easily lights up an area good enough for reading or taking notes. Shortwave channels as well.
    I also recently got one of the cheaper wal-mart crank lights. Also works well but ya seem to have to crank too much.
    I want one of the Coleman "MAX" crank lights but they got for $45.00 and I'm not ready to spend that just yet.
    Maybe I'll ask for it for xmas!

edz

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For hand-crank radios, go with one of Freeplay's models. 2-year warranty, sturdy construction and comes with a tiny solar panel for charging, apart from the hand crank. That the sole radio we use, day in day out, works great. We also use a hand-crank lantern mae by Freeplay.
    Actions speak louder than words

and here, when I read the thread title, I thought the whole thing was about someone holding hopeak's hand and explaining the jokes in the other threads to him, ("see dear, it is funny if you just understand the part about.....")
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Is this the things that some of you are mentioning:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/camping-outdoors/9d6f/

I saw it on here but I wasn't sure whether or not to waste 20 perfectly good dollars on it. The Charger feature is alluring though. Somewhere around here I have a radio that is both solar and crank powered, seems to work pretty well last time I saw it.

Not familiar with that model, but it looks pretty interesting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I've got this one. It works great!

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodin...551&variation=
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Check my post (#4) in this thread about Emergency Radios (with pic's):

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=4468

From the post,
    "This one is expensive ($150), but all the reviews I read said it was basically indestructible, and worked as advertised."

Eton Corporation's American Red Cross FR1000 Voicelink Hand-Crank
    * 22 GMRS (General Mobile Radio System)/ FRS (Family Radio System) channels 2-Way Radio Feature with 121 privacy codes (38 CTCSS / 83 DCS)
    * Flashlight
    * AM/FM receiver
    * VOX (Voice operated transmission)
    * NOAA weather radio and NOAA weather alert
    * Built-in Siren
    * Cell Phone Charger

Nice piece of equipment if you're in a survival situation!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

This is the one I have. It works well so far. http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up...led-radio.aspx

I have one, but the cooler thing about mine is not only does it run on batteries, has a hand crank, but it also has a solar charger that charges the rechargable batteries.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Oh Yeah? Well mine has batteries, a hand crank, a solar charger AND a long power cord. Next!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nope - still waiting for the hand crank 42" plasma t.v.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh Yeah? Well mine has batteries, a hand crank, a solar charger AND a long power cord. Next!

Pics or its a lie!
    Surviving in Los Angeles-