Thread: Fire Emergency Prepardness

Default Fire Emergency Prepardness

Hello All! After recieving the following from my rental management company in Texas, I figured we could start a tread for general preparations to protect our porperties, homes and loved ones from fire. I am getting ready for work so if there is already a thread dedicated to this could someone please move, and or link it? Thanks.

Also, do other states have the same or similar requirements? Is this a new code that is going nationwide?

I see it as a plus - the more bells and whistles to wake people up in a fire the better. ( As a child - me and my grandmother slept through a smoke alarm that went off due to kitchen smoke! _ My parents were tending the kitchen, and there was no fire, but it is scary to think about.)

Greetings,

There have been some changes in Texas state law regarding rental units. The new law requires a smoke alarm in each bedroom, any hallway that services multiple bedrooms, and on each level of a dwelling unit be in place by January 1, 2013.

We have begun the process of complying with the changes in law. We have visited or will be visiting your property to determine if additional smoke alarms need to be installed. If alarms are needed to bring your home into compliance, we will assign a contractor and provide them with the state requirements for type and installation.

This email serves as notice that we may need to perform the work to bring your home into compliance and no further notice will be provided prior to the work being performed. This is necessary due to the time restriction to be in compliance and to help mitigate the possibility of litigation against the Landlord by Tenant per the Texas Statutes Section 92.254.

While we do not expect the majority of these upgrades to exceed the per repair dollar limit noted in the Management Agreement, the cost of installation on some homes in our inventory may exceed this limit. Should you have questions or requests about this required item for your home, please contact us within 10 days of the date of this email. Should no response be received, it will be deemed that we have your authorization to proceed with actions required to comply with state law, without regard to cost. However, similar to any repair we may order at your Property, we will be cost-conscious and attempt to get you a fair price for the work performed.

Should your home require changes under the law, you will see an invoice noted as “Smoke Alarms – Bring Up to Code” processed through your monthly statements.

We appreciate the opportunity to help you keep your Property in compliance with state law, and your understanding that there may a cost in this instance. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Smoke alarm requirements vary from state to state. Here is a compilation of all 50 from the United States Fire Administration. http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/p...quirements.pdf I didn't even know there was a Untied States Fire Administration until I looked it up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

This code has been in place in Texas for 25+ years. I couldn't get a certificate of occupancy (aka final building inspection) on a residence without smoke detectors in either Houston or Austin back in the 80s & 90s. Minimums were the same as I recall. Not sure how this law really changes anything?

If you have any type of gas (combustion) appliance you should also include CO detectors. It is recommended to perfrom semi-annual tests/inspections on these detectors to insure they continue to work properly and have sufficient battery back-up power.

Additionally you should have a minimum of two means of egress from any sleeping area.

I strongly urge folks to consider a Voice Smoke Detector (VSD) by KidSafe or SignalOne. Kids can sleep through anything but a VSD allows parents to record their own voice issuing a warning, which kids do react to. I have them in my home because I can not hear a standard smoke alarm but I can hear the VSD in my own voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDzTO...eature=related

Without training, young children will do what most young mammals do in an emergency. They hide. Usually under the bed or in a closet with tragic consequences. Effective alarms reinforced with proper training is needed so they will know how to react should an alarm sound.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have always heard that a SD be in every bedroom, hallway, and at least on per a level. I just chalked it as just good practice, never looked into as actual law. I can see it as a code for public buildings as that would make sense.

As far as the voice one goes, it may or may not work depending on your child. My daughter would sleep through a frieght train being carried by an F-5 tornado! I do like the voice part because you could record instructions. I might have to look into that!

Another thing to consider are fire extinguishers. I have one in the kitchen and two in the garage. If you live in an apartment, one should be sufficient. Also, use care when cooking, using candles, using fire places and smoking.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm liking the voice recording fire alarm....cool idea.
    Gotta look into those.

The one in the back hall, off the kitchen......I gonna record, "Hey, Sweety......you are burning the pizza again!"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Careful H63-------they've also been known to sail through the air like a Frisbee. A Frisbee with about a pound of mass that will test your reflexes as you duck.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-11-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fireman: "Well, Chief, this is another casualty do to a smoke alarm."
    Chief shaking his head: "No batteries?"
    Fireman: "Oh, the batteries were fine. They added some weight when she clobbered him with the alarm."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That hot pizza sticks, when you get hit........if you are a slow ducker.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I may burn the grilled cheese, but I am armed with a hot cast iron pan! You better run!

My house has integrated fire alarms. When one goes off, they all go off. I actually think its code on all new construction around here.