Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Primitive/ Survival Skills to fellow students

Default Teaching Primitive/ Survival Skills to fellow students

I'm a student at Lees-McRae and i love bushcraft and the skill to live off the land, i am wanting to practice it more and get better at different things, so i decided to see if anyone else would be interested and i had a few people, but im not sure how to go about this. Like what skills i should start off with and what kind of gear i should have them get, so if anyone could help me out i would be great full. Also if anyone is really good at some skills maybe could see if i could get you to come to the school to help teach some things, help us get off on the right foot.

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are close to some nice areas to get out and explore. I suggest you start reading - when you have specific questions ask away. To suggest gear to acquire and skills to learn would be an exercise in futility without knowing more about you and your friends that are wanting to learn. You are going to have to help us help you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Its me and i have 3 girls that are want to learn to survive if they get lost, like how to start fires, and they asked what to do if they get lost and have nothing, like how to start a fire from nothing and things like that

Good start....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ow-(PIC-HEAVY)

Hunter63, saying Hey, and Welcome.
    Maybe stop by and do an Intro?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by BushCraftStudent View Post
    Its me and i have 3 girls that are want to learn to survive if they get lost, like how to start fires, and they asked what to do if they get lost and have nothing, like how to start a fire from nothing and things like that
    Welcome to the forum Bush! Hang around here and you will begin learning, then you need to practice. You need to learn the skills before you can teach your girls. But let them know that you cannot start a fire from nothing

So let me get this straight....you want to learn bushcraft and survial skills then teach the girls?
    Are there porta-potties where you are gonna go?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

First, are you a student at the college?

If so then settle down and start being more clear in your communication. So far you have an F in Ehglish Composition 101.

Next, use the rescources you have on hand. Here is your first point of contact;

http://www.lmc.edu/student_life/outd...esh_tracks.htm
    http://www.lmc.edu/student_life/outdoor_programs/

You are fishing in the very questionable internet pool when you have peers and professors with known training and certifications a five minute walk away. Most colleges, espically in your location, have courses for credit in camping, outdoor recreation and even sometimes in survival skills. The university has a "Backpacking club" or a camping club. Most of the skills are interchangable and transferable. You will find people in those clubs that can give you hands on training. It will save a million lives and shorten the war by five years.

Making fire is not the big deal everyone makes it out to be. You will find that once you learn a few tricks it will become routinue and you will revert to carrying a Bic lighter.

Your campus "rec center" probably has equipment you can check out for a weekend of use. My campus even had canoes and kyaks as well as full range of camping gear of all kinds. I can not imagine a college in the mountains of NC that did not have the same.

Are the girls your children or your friends?
    Yes the porta potty question is valid!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

To Kyratshooter, what you going to do when you bic get s wet? or it runs out of fuel? you going to freeze thats why i always carry a ferro rod and flint and steel, i know a lot i just want to learn more and learn where i should start the girls off

to hunter63, i know a few things, i can start a fire many ways, i know how to a bow drill fire, and i know different bushcraft skills but i have never really been good a teaching and just wondering how i should go about this.

and there is no porta-potties, but we have a backpacking class, and on trips you have to **** in the woods, and there are a bunch of girls on the trip so they ok with that, but the class doesn't teach survival skills, they really dont even try to teach you how to start a fire they always wanting to use camping stoves for everything

To Kyratshooter, what you going to do when you bic get s wet? or it runs out of fuel? you going to freeze thats why i always carry a ferro rod and flint and steel, i know a lot i just want to learn more and learn where i should start the girls off
    Actually - a BIC that has run our of fuel is still quite handy for starting fires.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

to hunter63, i know a few things, i can start a fire many ways, i know how to a bow drill fire, and i know different bushcraft skills but i have never really been good a teaching and just wondering how i should go about this.
    Don't think of it as teaching, but rather just showing them a few things that can help them out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I should have added......I'm very impressed at this approach to getting a date.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If your Bic gets wet it will still spark, just like your ferro rod. Because that is what ignites the gas. A small ferro rod rubbing a steel wheel. You can use the empty bic lighter just like a conventional ferro rod.

If you keep the lighter in an inside pocket next to your first layer it will stay warm enough that the butane will flow even in very cold temps. You might even go the extra mile and keep it in a zip lock sandwich bag and prevent it becomming wet.

It will be a while before you have to worry about running low on fuel though. The Average Bic lighter gives more than 3,000 lights according to the factory. That will give you one fire each day for 8 years and a few weeks.

You see, we have answered all these questions to the point that we have called the factory for direct info, this ain't our first rodeo.

Did you check on the school programs yet? I see our institution has a volunteer SAR unit that works with the local SAR teams and does real life work, not just training and talking. In your location I am sure they get plenty of educational opprotunities and training in exactly what you are looking for here.

I see they have a competition rock climbing club and a community outreach rock climbing outfit. You bvolunteer for those activities and they will teach you how to teach in real life.

If you are looking for a date there were some very attractive and healthy looking specimins in the school photos and they already seemed to know the skills you seek.

You seem to be a ball of contridictions. You know about the classes, but seem surprised that, in an area where fire bans are common, they use stoves. Seems they have found ways to "survive" in the wilderness, in all seasons, without burning up half the forest. That might be something you would want to learn!

There is more to "survival" than fire! All those skills they teach in the class are transferable. "Survival skills are in addition to the "normal" outdoor activities of today and as I have stated in the past, most of them are viewed as "campsite tricks" to entertain and impress. Get comfortable with the normal before you tackle the abnormal. If you prepared as you should have, and keep the EDC equipment you should, you will never be forced to use these "survival skills". Why would one welcome and embrace the occurance of a disaster? Plan and prepare for the normal to aviod tha abnormal.

The internet is filled with "survival experts", making U-tube videos in their back yards, that have not been to the woods in years. You are passing up the opprotunity to be in the woods this very weekend, learning from an experienced, proficient and accomplished group, and you are sitting here on a keyboard arguing over points of advice that answer the questions you have asked. Every reply seems an excuse for why you can not do what experienced people are advising you too do.

I guarentee the SAR team will teach you some "survival" skills, since part of their mission is listed as educating the public to safty and survival methods. With that as their mission they will demand that you learn the skills and also have a level of teaching competace. Several of the members here are part of SAR units and they contribute to our skill level in many ways.

Teaching is not something one learns on the internet. It is a process one develops and requires planning and skills of presentation. You learn it through book work and practical experience. Even then some never become "good" at the effort. No one here can give you a pill that makes you a teacher. I know what I speak on that issue also, I walked into my first classroom, as a teacher, in 1974 and walked out of my last one just this year.

Please remember that the first person pronoun (I) is capitalized as is the first letter starting the first word in each sentence. One uases the little shift key on the bottom row to do that.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-11-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If your Bic gets wet it will still spark, just like your ferro rod. Because that is what ignites the gas. A small ferro rod rubbing a steel wheel. You can use the empty bic lighter just like a conventional ferro rod.

If you keep the lighter in an inside pocket next to your first layer it will stay warm enough that the butane will flow even in very cold temps. You might even go the extra mile and keep it in a zip lock sandwich bag and prevent it becomming wet.
    Zip Lock is a brand name and normally capitalized as you showed with the use of "Bic"

It will be a while before you have to worry about running low on fuel though. The Average Bic lighter gives more than 3,000 lights according to the factory. That will give you one fire each day for 8 years and a few weeks.

You see, we have answered all these questions to the point that we have called the factory for direct info, this ain't our first rodeo.

Did you check on the school programs yet? I see our institution has a volunteer SAR unit that works with the local SAR teams and does real life work, not just training and talking. In your location I am sure they get plenty of educational opprotunities and training in exactly what you are looking for here.
    Check spelling.
    I see they have a competition rock climbing club and a community outreach rock climbing outfit. You bvolunteer for those activities and they will teach you how to teach in real life.
    Check spelling
    If you are looking for a date there were some very attractive and healthy looking specimins in the school photos and they already seemed to know the skills you seek.
    Check spelling

You seem to be a ball of contridictions. You know about the classes, but seem surprised that, in an area where fire bans are common, they use stoves. Seems they have found ways to "survive" in the wilderness, in all seasons, without burning up half the forest. That might be something you would want to learn!
    Check spelling

There is more to "survival" than fire! All those skills they teach in the class are transferable. "Survival skills are in addition to the "normal" outdoor activities of today and as I have stated in the past, most of them are viewed as "campsite tricks" to entertain and impress. Get comfortable with the normal before you tackle the abnormal. If you prepared as you should have, and keep the EDC equipment you should, you will never be forced to use these "survival skills". Why would one welcome and embrace the occurance of a disaster? Plan and prepare for the normal to aviod tha abnormal.
    Check spelling

The internet is filled with "survival experts", making U-tube videos in their back yards, that have not been to the woods in years. You are passing up the opprotunity to be in the woods this very weekend, learning from an experienced, proficient and accomplished group, and you are sitting here on a keyboard arguing over points of advice that answer the questions you have asked. Every reply seems an excuse for why you can not do what experienced people are advising you too do.
    Check spelling

I guarentee the SAR team will teach you some "survival" skills, since part of their mission is listed as educating the public to safty and survival methods. With that as their mission they will demand that you learn the skills and also have a level of teaching competace. Several of the members here are part of SAR units and they contribute to our skill level in many ways.
    Check spelling.

Teaching is not something one learns on the internet. It is a process one develops and requires planning and skills of presentation. You learn it through book work and practical experience. Even then some never become "good" at the effort. No one here can give you a pill that makes you a teacher. I know what I speak on that issue also, I walked into my first classroom, as a teacher, in 1974 and walked out of my last one just this year.

Please remember that the first person pronoun (I) is capitalized as is the first letter starting the first word in each sentence. One uases the little shift key on the bottom row to do that.
    Check spelling.
    Many computers now have the ability to spell check for you. It is a free, easy and I find it very useful. I see that you are a long time teacher so I knew you would not mind me pointing out the spelling errors especially since you found it useful to BushCraftStudent to learn how to capitalize.
    In your first sentence you state that a Bic lighter will still spark when wet. I am a duck hunter and when my Bic lighter gets wet it will not spark again until it is dried out completely. Am I doing something wrong? Can you teach me how to make my lighters to spark when they are wet?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

The question is.....Have you made a bow drill fire, with gathered materials?
    I know how as well, but sadly I'm not real good at it.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Starting the fire is not all that hard...keeping it under control is what's important!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Also...

...don't "diss" matches. Learn to waterproof them and carry them in a water tight match safe. Also learn how to start a fire in wet conditions. If not done right nothing that you carry will matter!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm with you on that Hunter. I know how and have tried a few times just to see if I can and the answer was a loud and clear NO! I will get the hang of it one of these days but like Kyratshooter said, it will go into the "campfire tricks" that might be fun to show off that I can do it but when I'm cold and wet I WANNA FIRE NOW!!!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Two words for "Want Fire Now".........Road flares.

I usually don't go out into the bush, swamp, hill country, river, to make a fire.......I doing something else....so when I need or just want, a fire....I want it now, as well.

Good to know as many ways to make fire as possible, as yeah, the Bic's do get wet from time to time, as well as any thing else you are wearing or carrying...

Heck a good may island in the river, has looked like laundry day, thanks to a enthusiastic dog, waders that fail....of my favorite...Hip boots..They allow you to get in really deep before the water flows over the top.

Good to know and beable to do a lot of ways to make fire.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-11-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: splin'