Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COMPLETE Survival Question!!?? Read description. Location, Food, Seclusion, ect.

Question COMPLETE Survival Question!!?? Read description. Location, Food, Seclusion, ect.

---PLEASE POST SEVERAL OPTIONS FOR ME--- Thanks

Hi, I have an abundant knowledge of survival skills and needed information but I just have a few questions about where I can go that'll satisfy my wants.

BACKGROUND: I'm looking for a place where I can live in the natural environment and only rely off the land for food and shelter without breaking any laws. I don't mind where in the world it is, just somewhere I can escape society for just a few months or possibly a year. I am only 18 years old and I am going to come back to the city life after some time to go apply for college and live a regular life. I'm not any kind of dumb/under-achiever kind of person, I have just had a stress full life and wish to experience the hard and dangeous struggles of the wilderness life style and find peace within myself.
    Yes, I realize many people say it's boring, dangerous, and really hard to do. But I'm willing to do it.

Here's a few questions I hope many of you could answer for me:
    -Where in the world can I live in the wild and possibly hunt animals for food without being a poacher?
    -Is there enough resources to build shelter?
    -Will I be far enough away from civilization that people won't ever come near the area?
    -Is there a large number of animals in the area that can be possible food if necessary
    -Where can I get a hunting rifle at a roung age without a permit
    -Is there plenty of water near by
    -Possibly an area with plenty of trees for resources/Animal inhabitation
    -What animal populates the area the most that I am legally allowed to hunt and eat

*I will choose to save money by hitch-hiking to this area also for an adventure, whether be boat or by car*
    -so what route/system is best to get there?

(also, please don't post and contridict my decision) Please, aknowledge my plan and only post informative comments that can help me out.

I was just throwing ideas to get the best possible answers. But I don't mind if there's a few people that live in the area as well, mainly if there is enough natural resources for food and things I can live off of. You see, I've even heard of Twin Lakes which looks beautiful and I would go there but I am sure there's probably regulations. Even living in a place like the rainforest would be acceptable.. just not my main choice due to jaguars, boas, and other deadly predators.. though I am willing to fend for my life/ and also collect their hide for a trophy, I don't wish to die haha.
    Any ideas of a place yet?? Cuz I obviously know there's many places, but if you've ever lived in the wilderness, you probably could agree with me that it's a good idea to get other's opinions.
    Just as long as I'm able to hunt and eat legally then I'm fine. And as for hitch-hiking, I simply meant that I may hitch a few rides (while taking and license plate numbers along with other safety precautions) but I will have a few thousand hidden on me for emergency.
    Mainly my reasons for wanting to experience this is for:
    -adventure
    -knowledge
    -self reliance
    -test my survival skills
    -to learn to appreciate and love life
    -to earn the food and shelter I eat
    I am also able to stay calm in stressful situations as my dad was raised with nothing and had to live on the streets but is now making a living to be able to easily support himself and I. We have the easy life. I decided to respond to you since you're a Senior Member and a Moderator.
    Please, all I ask is for some "Good Example Locations". Besides, I wasn't just going to base off of other's opinions... I was merely going to take them to consideration, while also researching more about the area's environment, weather, animals, dangers, and local resources.
    So can you please list just a few Locations that is capable of living in and I'll further research it?
    -also, it'll help me greatly if you're able to list that area's regulations if you know them in case I can't it online- Thanks!

THANK YOU ALL! And I'll try my best to reply when I can
    Last edited by btddanger; 09-06-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Additional Information (EDIT)

Wait a minute. You want to be far enough away from civilization so that people will never come to the area, but you plan on hitchhiking there? You may need to think that part over some more. Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry, Bud, but you were born about 200 years too late.
    There isn't anywhere I know of in the USA that would fit your requirements.

So....Good luck with that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was just throwing ideas to get the best possible answers. But I don't mind if there's a few people that live in the area as well, mainly if there is enough natural resources for food and things I can live off of. You see, I've even heard of Twin Lakes which looks beautiful and I would go there but I am sure there's probably regulations. Even living in a place like the rainforest would be acceptable.. just not my main choice due to jaguars, boas, and other deadly predators.. though I am willing to fend for my life/ and also collect their hide for a trophy, I don't wish to die haha.
    Any ideas of a place yet?? Cuz I obviously know there's many places, but if you've ever lived in the wilderness, you probably could agree with me that it's a good idea to get other's opinions.
    Just as long as I'm able to hunt and eat legally then I'm fine. And as for hitch-hiking, I simply meant that I may hitch a few rides (while taking and license plate numbers along with other safety precautions) but I will have a few thousand hidden on me for emergency.
    Mainly my reasons for wanting to experience this is for:
    -adventure
    -knowledge
    -self reliance
    -test my survival skills
    -to learn to appreciate and love life
    -to earn the food and shelter I eat
    I am also able to stay calm in stressful situations as my dad was raised with nothing and had to live on the streets but is now making a living to be able to easily support himself and I. We have the easy life. I decided to respond to you since you're a Senior Member and a Moderator.
    Please, all I ask is for some "Good Example Locations". Besides, I wasn't just going to base off of other's opinions... I was merely going to take them to consideration, while also researching more about the area's environment, weather, animals, dangers, and local resources.
    So can you please list just a few Locations that is capable of living in and I'll further research it?
    -also, it'll help me greatly if you're able to list that area's regulations if you know them in case I can't it online- Thanks!

Hey, BTD.....

That is a great question that has been asked quite a few times. Many of the folks here would love to find a location like that. In the time I have been here no one has been able to answer those questions in any specific way.

The general consensus is that there is no known land in the us that doesn't fall under some ownership. If not privet, corporate, government or Military the local municipality will have a say. Any land that you do not have permission to be living on has the potential of having trespassing charges brought on you if you are found. Your best bet is to find someone who is willing to allow you to stay in exchange for work.

No mater were you go the state hunting fishing and trapping laws will apply. I think some states have an open season on some small game like rabbit. I may be wrong and someone can correct me on that. Sorry no solid answers here.

Its a great idea, Good luck with that.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

1. A mod troll: It's been a while, I can see the need. Go for a walk, start a fire, take some pics and post em', tell me how it made you feel.

2. She left me/ignores me: Buy a truck, and tent, and take her/you to the river for a weekend.

3. It's true: Read, you'll need the practice for college.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

We happen to have an expert on this very topic--Kyratshooter--and I hope he responds. He'll definitely point you in the right direction.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

AHHH!!! the "Running away to the wilderness" thread for September! We got 6 days into the month before it happened!

I always love the part where they ask for all kinds of advice but do not want any negitive feedback. I get a laugh out of that stipulation.

I also like the part where they have not done enough research to know what is and is not legal! If you are 18 you can buy either a rifle or a shotgun but I would advise that you not do so since you do not know what you are doing in the first place and will probably shoot yourself in the foot.

If you have already had a stressful life running away to the wilderness, where every mistake can cost your life, is not going to reduce the stress.

Before you take the next step in your plan please relaize that most of what you have proposed is illigal in most states and breaks a couple of federal statutes as well. You do not want prision time on your college application, or a job application. Trespassing and poaching being the most obvious.

You have two reality options, not REAL options, reality options:

Option one;

1. Get a job.

2. Work for a year.

3. Take your vacation and go camping.

Option two;

1. Grow up and face reality.

2. Make some friends.

3 Get a life.

4. Get a job.

5. Work for a year.

6. Take your vacation and go camping.

Whichever option you chose,

Good luck with that!

Now there is a third option, which almost no one wants to consider. Join the Army and volunteer for combat arms. You will get all the OJT survival training you can stand and they will pay you to do it. They will also pay for that college you are talking about when you are ready to go.

I doubt that you will want to do that. Most of the folk planning the "run away to the wilderness" option feel they are not suited for the military life, which involves a lot of outdoor experience and survival skills and a big dose of facing reality.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-06-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Just throwing this out there, but I just thought of it and had to post it. Down south and even in Southern Indiana there is a large feral hog population and since they are a big nuisance problem they can be shot any time of the year (to my understanding) without the need of a tag (might still need a license but I don't know). But to find a place where you can live for free, set up shelters, stay for an unlimited amount of time, and hunt are going to be very far and few between. Let alone not going back to a town to get provisions.

My best advice for you would be go to a hunting or fishing guide school (if you actually are an outdoorsman and not a troll, sorry if your not we just have some come through now and again) and have people pay you to go on hunting and/or fishing trips, make good money and live as remote as you want.

As to your current plan, good luck with that...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I think it's safe to say that if any of us knew of a place like that WE'D already be living there! Good luck with that!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I was going to make the same suggestion as Sparky, Feral Hogs in most areas that I know are nuisance animals and there is no season or bag limit but as he mentioned a hunting license may be required. There are other animals though that, depending on the area, you can harvest all you want. Most places will allow you to eat all the Rats and Mice you like. You can also look at limits on taking Moles, Shrews, Gophers and Prairie Dogs. Some places also allow you to take Coyotes year round.

You may have in your mind that there is a place where you can dine on Elk, Moose, Deer or even Bighorn Sheep but that is just not going to happen (legally). You need to be thinking about dining on rodents I'm afraid.

Also don't forget that you can usually fish year round and daily catch limits are more than ample to feed one person. It would be a good idea to learn as much as you possibly can about wild edibles. Learn about the plants that are going to be found in your area, you will need those to supplement the Rats and Fish. Don't forget about insects either. Beetles, Grubworms, Larvae and Maggots have lots of protein and are accepted table fare in many places around the world.

As far as a place to do this I wouldn't have any idea of a "nice" place. All of those areas are places where people already inhabit for that very reason. You may be able to find a landowner that has a large tract of land that would let you wander off and live out there but not likely and it would probably be a place like that outback in Australia or even the desert areas of Arizona or Nevada? I still doubt that they would go along with it though since they wouldn't want the liability or constant wondering when or where you might be found dead. I think you might be able to go to some other places like Siberia or up around the Arctic Circle where Aboriginal peoples still live. I doesn't sound like you are much on the jungle idea, but you could go to some of the jungles in South or Central America or even areas in Mexico where they really don't care if you trek of out into the woods to live. Be aware though that most of these areas not only have the Big Cats and Snakes to worry about but they are also war torn countries that have bands of ruthless rebel fighters running around looking to take your stuff and your life.

Anyway those are my thoughts on your adventure and best of luck to you. Stay in touch with us if you can, I'd like to hear how it all turns out for you.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If he stays in touch with us he has failed in his quest and gone back to town!

Who was it that mentioned that scene in Dances With Wolves where the muleskinner looked down at the bird eaten skeleton on the prarie and stated, "Someone is back east wondering why this guy don't write nome!"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

There is much you need to learn before you go off into the woods grasshopper! Learn your survival skills, then worry about where to go. Once you learn survival skills, you will also be have more knowleage about where to go to explore your dreams.

Thank you Wtrfwlr,
    I appreciate your advice over the others. I do like the idea of Alaska, Siberian Wilderness, and I'm not totally sure about the Arctic Circle but I'll look into that too. I'm actually doing research on Alaska and Siberia at this moment as well. So far, Siberia is my main opinionated choice though I'm still researching. And YES, when I do return I will write a story on my adventures! Sadly, I must say that I probably won't be going on my trip til maybe next year? But it's still good to plan ahead of time

Keep one thing in mind btddanger - often times people that tell you what you do not want to hear have your best interests in mind. It may not seem that way, but it is true. With the caveat that you put in your original post......
    (also, please don't post and contridict my decision) Please, aknowledge my plan and only post informative comments that can help me out.
    it is clear that you don't value advice that may be sound, albeit contradictory to what you want to hear. I'm sure all of the members here, me included, wish you well on your quest.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think it's a great idea. Siberia is a wilderness paradise. No laws. Nothing around for hundreds of kilometers. You'll get to use all your skills to stay alive. Just you and the gulag and that one weird guard that keeps winking at the you.

For someone with an abundant knowledge you sure asked a lot of questions. Read through this and good luck with that.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would suggest the Great State of Alaska, BUT survival here is so easy that ladies can do it NAKED for 11 Days.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ight=Blue+tarp

YES thank you! This is the kind of advice and agreeable person I wanted to hear from. Based on how you worded it, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you've something similar to my future trip?? And if you have, even if you haven't, you can probably agree that I only ask so many questions because I know I'm still young... but it's always best to get opinions from people that have more knowledge about the location. I have to disagree with Crashdive123 on what you said about being told what I didn't want to hear, because I know the hard challenges that await me... but for those of you who have gone on a trip like this, tell me that in the end you guys later regret ever choosing that decision..
    Like I said before, don't get me wrong. I still plan on coming back and later starting my own business, I do best on computers and already have a plan on where my life if headed.. (COLLEGE, WITH A PROFESSIONAL DEGREE IN COMPUTER SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING)
    Trust me, if you met me in person, you'd see that I'm a smart kid and I sure as 'heck' don't want to end up dead. But for those of you who don't understand, this is something I MUST do in my life.. and RICK, haha you should add me. Since you're an Administrator, you're always on this website. I want to message you when I do leave for my trip and when I get back, I want to tell you all about Siberia!!
    'Heck'.. what's a true man without balls. Men have to face troubling problems and overcome them with an iron fist. I don't mean for it to be a goal of mine, but when I'm out there, and a wolf or some kinda animal wants to fight me.... his a-- is mine.
    Since I was a kid, I always had low self esteem. Now, I learned to overcome my confidence, and the depression I was diagnosed with since I was 16 after my mom passed away.
    SO FOR ALL YOU WHO SAY IT'S A DUMB IDEA... you're right. Buuuut, you're wrong in the fact that I am grown up. (kyratshooter), I am facing reality and I do have friends, you're probably the one without any.
    Anyways, Thanks again RICK and ya gotta keep in touch with me cuz even when I get back, I'm going to tell you how much I loved Siberia and its Freezing cold weather! But I choose to endure it and to make my own survival.
    I'm not crazy by saying this but from one man to several, I guess you could say that the only reason living in the wild is hard, is cuz Mother Nature tests your witiness and cunningness to outsmart any dangers that face you. (just thought of that)
    Only the true men will face their fears and dangers with confidence. Then there are the stupid ones who choose to live the rest of there life as a loser.
    Not saying mountain men are stupid. Some probably have more knowledge than you and I together.. But if you are only going into the wilderness with good intentions, then its okay in my opinion.
    Once again, Please post more suggestions and tips/secrets you guys!!! That way I can keep doing my homework on those areas
    thank you again Rick

btd, I would be interested in knowing where and when you received or obtained your survival experience. Where do you live now? Have you attended survival schools with hands on training? I have the perfect place for you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This is ALL you need to know.........If your skill level "NO WORRIES".........http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xiGo6Dy9eso