Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble at Slippery Hollow Farm

Glad to hear the family is fine after the event. You can also contact the agency that reponded and they can give you a copy of the initial police report. Those are supposed to be public record.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

.................................................. ..
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 09-10-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: stuck foot in mouth...
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Good job cowboy. Take care.

Default Nothing wrong w/fence and door bolts in general...

C, you may not always be there. Just make sure the girls know what to do if they had to fend for themselves. It's a practice that'll serve them well no matter what.

Well done, Cowboy.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

What about a safe room for the gals?

1. There is no one that can criticize your actions. Until you have faced such a situation, you have no idea
    how you will react. Now that you have, you have more of an idea as to the best way to react in the future if necessary.

2. Check SC law ... see if they have an 'open carry' law, meaning able to carry a weapon as long as it is
    open and in public view. A lot of State's tell you it is illegal to carry a "concealed weapon" without a permit.
    However, they fail to mention that the State Law also says it is 'legal' to carry a weapon openly and in full view. Interesting, huh?
    Most importantly, though, I think you will find that you are probably within your right to carry any legal firearm openly on your own property.

Now ... since you mentioned the comments made by the individual in custody. Remember that the "psychology"
    behind such comments are very powerful depending on who you are. Talks is cheap, although a measure of
    concern is warranted.

My first thought after reading your post was this ....

I would think that there was some relationship to at least one of the men with the neighbors.

That being the case, I'd play my own psychological game as an ounce of prevention.
    1. I would purchase a fair supply of ammunition for one of my weapons.
    2. Daily, I would go out and do a little target practice. Making sure it was when the neighbors were home and could hear it.
    (Unless, of course, your property actually falls within the limits of a city. Then it might not be legally possible.)

If it is possible ... do it responsibly and safely. Plus, you get the added benefit of improving your relationship
    with your firearm.

Another option ... buy a Peacock (Don't forget the hen. Can always raise a few to sell. Eat in a survival situation.)

They are excellent bodyguards and will actually "shriek very loudly" if anyone strange starts sneaking around.
    "Loudly" may be an understatement ...

I can open carry on my property and do at times. I also have a shooting range out back and use it fairly regularly. Your post is spot on. Interesting though, I heard rapid fire pistol rounds coming from the direction of the perps home this evening. The boy that was in the truck, but that hasn't been arrested was most likely the one practicing. He lives next to the perp. Shooting stopped when the perps wife arrrived home. Yeah, I am paying attention. Thinking I may need to place a scattergun in my old pickup that is now parked where I spend time in the yard. Just in case of a coyote or something....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    What about a safe room for the gals?
    Done, with an artillery.

Bail is set for just over 200k, is it likely he will make bail? Hearing is set for the 18th.

C,
    I am like you in that I don't care for the fancy phones. However, this does point out how they can be of use. NOw, I have to learn how to use the camera on the cellphone. SIGH. Now I have to ask the 8 year old niece how to do it.
    Our men and women in uniform are brave enough to charge hell without a drop of water.

Good on ya cowboy. I think you have covered your bases.

Nothing I can criticize you for man. I've stuck around as a witness to several accidents (none involving a death though).
    You say your two mistakes were that your cell phone is messed up and that you don't have a CWP. I don't personally see those as mistakes. You had a phone available to you, its not like you had no means of calling for help, just the one in your hand couldn't. I assume the only aspect of the CWP is that you couldn't carry a weapon to the accident site. I'm a bit confused as to the layout of everything, but I get that it was within line of sight and off your property. Well, what would a firearm have done in this situation? Nothing really. Would you have chased after those two men with gun drawn after learning of the homicide?

The one question I have is did you see one of the two occupants come back to remove something from the truck or someone else, if you can recall?

What will come of it all? That's the question. I can't really say and hopefully nothing comes of it on your end. Though I would be making sure everyone in your house knows how to use a firearm as well as doubling checking or increasing any household security systems, whether it be dog or cameras.

Good luck man.

Just some advice on the squealing crackhead. Never share your intentions with the enemy. Surprise is your best friend. Talk gets around in a small town. Never make threats of any type locally or on a public forum. If he comes up missing you'll be the first one they look for. Speak softly and carry a large shovel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I had some neighbors like that a long time ago, and they did not like me one bit. They has actually threatenend me by telling people that I knew that they were out to get me. They were not the kind of people that I would hang out with, so they didn't know anything about me. When I heard of their threats, I was tempted to just go over there and call them out, but that would have probably got somebody killed or in jail. So I simply called all of my buddys, and we had a target practice day in my back yard. It literally sounded like a full scale war all afternoon, and we had a great time shooting all of our guns. Those people would not even look at me after that, and I never heard any more threats!

Cowboy, I commend you on keeping your head, and realize what is important, (Family). As for security, it sounds like you already have a dog, (Better than security cameras if you ask me). I would suggest motion sensor lights around the perimeter of your house. Teach the women how to shoot if they don't already know. Good luck, my prayers are with you, and your family. I always try to plan for the worst, and hope for the best, (Something in between generally happens).

Straight ghetto trash trying to intimidate you by calling you snitch, makes my blood boil.

I worked correction for 7 years, I know these types... Make sure for the next several months your house is on condition red: cell phone in pocket, firearm on side and keep a watchful eye. Last thing you need is retaliation for any involvement that may come calling without notice.

Sometime, doing the right thing feels so wrong, almost regret.... but something inside you says you did right. That is the civilized part of you talking to yourself.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just some advice on the squealing crackhead. Never share your intentions with the enemy. Surprise is your best friend. Talk gets around in a small town. Never make threats of any type locally or on a public forum. If he comes up missing you'll be the first one they look for. Speak softly and carry a large shovel.
    Very wise advice!

S.M.