Thread: Book Review: The Ax Book

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Book Review: The Ax Book

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Ax Book, by D. Cook

I highly recommend this book for the libraries of all outdoorsman and scout leaders. A wealth of information plus very good reading.

From the Publisher

Originally published in 1981 by Universe Books as "Keeping Warm with an Ax, " The Ax Book is a thorough guide to cutting wood with hand tools. Although it is one of man's most ancient tools, the ax remains the standard tool of the woodman, and has been brought to a high degree of perfection. The author explains how to use various types of axes, hatchets, mauls, saws and wedges to take down trees and prepare firewood. In addition he shows every aspect of dealing with wood from the forest right to the hearth or stove.

Throughout recorded time, the ax has been a principle tool for carving out from the wilderness the homes, farms, and roads so necessary to the advance of civilization. Even today, those who use chainsaws and other power equipment still need to be familiar with the hand tools of their craft. In many situations, only a hand-ax will suffice for the felling of trees, the rough shaping of lumber, the creation of firewood, and clearing out the nooks and crannies of forested areas for other purposes -- including the planting of new trees. Cook's The Ax Book is an ideal "how to" manual of instruction enhanced with the illustrations of Whipple to provide what is simply the best introductory guide to the subject available to readers today. The Ax Book is a "must" for anyone needing to use a hand ax for any purpose, under any circumstances.
    The ax is an indispensable tool for every woodsman. Even those who use chainsaws and other power equipment need to be familiar with the hand tools of their craft. In many situations, nothing will do but an ax. This book has been proven to be an ideal resource for anyone who wishes to fell trees and take lumber or firewood from the forest.

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Ax-Book-Sc.../dp/0911469168

"Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Dang it, not on kindle. But, it looks like a good book to buy with real pages. I will put it on my list. So, have you read it all the way through. Any other thoughts other than you like it?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This book is excellent, it covers a verity of subjects outside ax use. It discusses many wood tools; how to use and take care of them, their history, and how designs have changed over the years. There's information on trees, cutting lumber,splitting and seasoning firewood, and how to limb and fell a tree.

The book is written in a manner that you want to read it and the illustrations are outstanding. If your a Scouter this book is a must for teaching wood tools.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com