Thread: Wildcampers Handmade Leather Bag

Default Wildcampers Handmade Leather Bag

Hello All...

I make leather equipment , and recently I was asked by a wild camper to make him som leather bags to store his rice, dry produce in.

I had never heard of this before, but I was willing to give it a go !

I sourced some quality leather, (sheepskin) and set about making some.

I made him a set, 3 sizes, one to hold around a lb of rice, one to hold 1/2lb of rice and the third , just to put his flint/firelighting gear in. He uses a second 1/2 lb bag to hold tinder in.

If anybody would like to give these a go, I can ship them worldwide for a very small cost ( they are very light and flat.)

They are really strong ( i tested one using plastic beads, smashing it around etc, just to check seams etc), but they should be with bonded nylon thread that I used to make my other equipment.

They can be letter stamped with your initials too. see the small one on my website I did with my initials on

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Please take a look at them if you get a moment **************, they are in the leatherwork section) , drop me an email if you have any questions....****************

Thanks!

Ashley Clarke
    Last edited by Sarge47; 09-03-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Personal link in body of the text.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are they moisture resistant? rice that gets damp won't last very long at all. Typically, food-storage bags were treated with animal fat to waterproof , and were typically made of rawhide.

YCC, un treated sheep skin. Tanned sheep skin is naturally water repellent. I haven't read any specific information about its use in keeping food dry in your pack. Like any leather it will mold if it gets wet and isn't allowed to dry before putting it away. Sheepskin garments are known for there warmth and water resistant properties, think Ugg boots and Bomber Jackets.

Ashley, Nice introduction. I feel like I have been solicited to without even an introduction. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Nice work from another leather worker.

Did you choose sheepskin because of its water resistance? Do you have any historical sources that demonstrate the use of Sheep skin in food storage, or any documentation that might support its use in keeping dry goods dry? How long has your Wild Camper been using the bags? Have they been carried on wet camping trips and did they pass Ship Shape in Bristol Fashion?
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hunter63 saying Hey, and Welcome.
    You can post your wares in you signature but not in the body of the post.

Have to say that sheep skin wouldn't be my first choice for food storage.....unless that all you have for leather.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hey all.....

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for not introducing oneself!

The sheepskin was sourced, as this chap wanted something that could be scrunched up etc, kinda like fabric .I could have used Canadian buckskin, Italian leather, or even reindeer hide, but you add more and more cost on, especially as this was made to order, so effectively he would have been paying for a full hide + labour etc

The sheepskin works fine, it is very soft and also has some elasticity so they "sit" well if put on the floor.waterproofness........ I dont think they was ever intended to be used dragged behind a canoe! but so I hear , some people use a ziploc bag inside them ? I am sure they are a novelty idea too, traditional looking etc.

Gryff, are you the owner of the forum? I am more than happy to send you one over to test out, as a good will gesture.

Thanks

AClarkefalconry

LOL, That would be Chris, The All Wise, All Knowing Intergalactic Emperor of Nearly Infinite Wilderness Survival Wisdom.
    Thanks for the offer to send one over, its not necessary. Like you I have leather working on my list of things I do and wondered if there was some sort of extra ordinary properties that gave the sheepskin an advantage over other leathers. It seems that the sheepskin may be the go to leather like buck skin is here in the US. Buckskin is a common leather used for clothing, bags and pouches sold at historical reenactments. You have my curiosity going on the sheepskin. I'll have to check on availability and cost over here.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

All hail the All Wise, All Knowing Intergalactic Emperor of Nearly Infinite Wilderness Survival Wisdom!!!!!

Chris is the guy squatted down in front. Crash is standing on the left. That's me in the middle and Sarge on the right (he's still stuck in the 60's). My avatar isn't that far off is it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Far out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    All hail the All Wise, All Knowing Intergalactic Emperor of Nearly Infinite Wilderness Survival Wisdom!!!!!

Chris is the guy squatted down in front. Crash is standing on the left. That's me in the middle and Sarge on the right (he's still stuck in the 60's). My avatar isn't that far off is it?
    Didn't recognize Rick without his hong...hey! My hair is black again...cool!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Nice work!

And this is me, I am Wildthang, God of thunder, master of the wilderness, and all of the furry critters that live there. I know I look a lot like Zeus but I can't help that