Thread: Carrying rope or cordage

Default Carrying rope or cordage

Having and carrying cordage or rope is a must in a survival situation. I just never really developed the skill on how to wind cordage and carry it without tangling it in my bag. This is a primitive skill that I lacked.

I had my buddy, Survivor Johnny do a quick video on how to wind and carry rope. He uses 550 cord as a demonstration but I learned a lot in a short period of time. I hope this quick video helps others like me.

When I do carry 550 cord I have been wrapping it up like in crashdive123's video.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...paracord+video
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

That's pretty cool..... Nice and neat, Thanks.

I don't like stuff hanging on my loose like that, catches everything, and in some cases is noisy....when you get loaded up.... Do the "ranger jump", stand in place, jump up and down, see what falls off or makes noise....Then fix it.

I guess I do it wrong, my method is commonly known as a "snot ball", inside my pack, what ever pack, pouch of bag ever is being used at the time.

Now a story on why......
    Years ago, when much younger, and before the thousands of different, hunting outer wear....I had scored a pail of Air Force coveralls that had a pocket on the thigh, thatb had about 30 ft of paracord, (it was white) in it and had a hole and grommet to feed out cord, but still stay attached.

I don't know what the reason was, but was told it was for lowering your gear if caught in a tree while parachuting.....????

Anyway it was olive drab, kinda a nylon type material, handled brush and thorns well, so used it for bow hunting.......Climb a tree then pull up you bow and other gear.
    One particular day I was climbing a tree,... the cord caught on a limb, pulled out of the pocket.... so I effectually 'hung" my feet in a tree, and had a heck of a time getting out of it....all the while being watched by a doe and 2 fawns...."Hey, kids lookie at the human dumas".

Now my cording and other gear stays 'stashed IN some thing, or secured to my belt.
    But that is just me.
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-02-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

These new guys got it down don't they!!
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Seems so, pretty neat how they came up with that......complete with vid and all....lots of work making those.

The thick dense brush that I normally hunt I would not be able to have anything like that hanging off of my belt, I would be hung-up in three steps! I prefer a bundle that I wrap myself that feeds from the inside out, there is nothing to untie to feed the desired line and it can be tightend as the bundle gets smaller. Similar to the way Crash does it and Kevin the Paracordist.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

To carry extra cordage I recommend the Slatt's Rescue Belt. Tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDIm5bcQRM
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

i like Crash's method. That was pretty nifty

I daisey chain mine. 100' of cord cut to 50', 25', and two 12.5'. Quadruple the 50' before chaining, double the 25'. Folded in a ziplock, they never unravel or knot, and are quick and easy to deploy.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

I use Crash's method whenever I am braiding to prevent line tangles. It is easy and quick to make up and easy to let out as much or as little as possible. The rescue belt that I linked stores cordage in a very nice looking package. Use it if you are feeling crafty. Tony
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    The rescue belt that I linked stores cordage in a very nice looking package. Use it if you are feeling crafty. Tony
    .......and if you don't mind your pants riding a bit low.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rarely do I need more than 25' of cordage. I carry about 50' of paracord and 200' or high test fishing line.

My paracord is maybe 2 lengths with various knots and loops in it from previous adventures. I keep it in a small bag and just untangle as needed. Never cut your cordage if you don't have to.

20 years ago I added bungee cords to my pack. Ever try to tie a knot while building shelter when you can't feel you fingers?

Best camping bungees ever. I have no affiliation with these folks and they are the only ones who I know of that sell these specific bungees.

http://www.brigadeqm.com/ProductDeta...tCode=SCB51626
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

How long do those last in the sunlight?......

I been buying bulk bungies, and they all UV in a couple of months.

Like the idea of shelter tie off's and up's with bungies though, thanks for the tip.
    I gonna tuck a couple in my hunting chair....with the pouch.

Here’s an old video from Pict. The two handed rope chain has become a staple at my place.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    How long do those last in the sunlight?......

I been buying bulk bungies, and they all UV in a couple of months.

Like the idea of shelter tie off's and up's with bungies though, thanks for the tip.
    I gonna tuck a couple in my hunting chair....with the pouch.
    What is this sunlight you speak of?
    Mine are 16 years old and still work fine. They are just for shelter though so they don't stay stretched out in the sun for more than 4-5 days at a time.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Oh, Ya dar, I forgot, you are from up nort dar, in the rainy country......LOL....It's big yellow thing in the sky, once in a while.
    I suppose if they are in a pack most of the time, they would last......

I found me some really cool camo ratchet straps, man they were sooooo cool, tied the boat down with them....rotted off in 3 months.

I have several of the heavy rubber bungee's in my boat. They hold down the ice chests and other gear while trailering as well as boating but they are also great for tying the boat off quickly when fishing around different brush tops and such. I also use them at camp as spring cords for tarps and tents. Never had a problem with them breaking down quickly in the direct sun, although everything eventually breaks down, but I get years of service from them.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Haven't heard any thing back from Soggybottomboy?
    Hummm

Maybe we were supposed to have 3 pages, with atta boys, thumbs up, and such......Is a good idea, but maybe not for everybody?

Heck, I didn't even know you were supposed to have paracord.............Till I started hanging around here.