Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ammo hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    You guys are spot on with everything. I work a gun show every Sat and it is nuts. I do not reduce my prices at all because people will buy it. I'm selling 19 Chile .308 surplus for $18 a box of 20. I was the first person there with .308 in four weeks. Next week I will have 4K rounds of 9mm. It will be fun to see how long that lasts.

The downside of it all is I don't know if I can replace what I sell. I constantly have the fear of not having merchandise to sell. Fortunately, reloading equipment demand is already starting to lighten up.
    The thread started with questions about how much ammo inventory is appropriate. From your perspective, how much inventory does the typical reloader keep of primers, powder, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    The thread started with questions about how much ammo inventory is appropriate. From your perspective, how much inventory does the typical reloader keep of primers, powder, etc.?
    It varies per the person and their intentions. Some just want to have a plan B in the event they can't get any or want to start up to see if they like it as a hobby. These individual usually keep around enough supply for 1k-5k rounds. Major prep people and those who shoot extensively usually keep enough supply for 5k-15k rounds. On frequent occassion I have persons tell me of stock piles of supplies for 25k or more rds, although I would question the comments as being true.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

It varies per the person and their intentions. Some just want to have a plan B in the event they can't get any or want to start up to see if they like it as a hobby. These individual usually keep around enough supply for 1k-5k rounds. Major prep people and those who shoot extensively usually keep enough supply for 5k-15k rounds. On frequent occassion I have persons tell me of stock piles of supplies for 25k or more rds, although I would question the comments as being true.
    Would these people also be keeping a substantial amount of finished ammo? Someone who has a substantial supply of ammo and enough reloading supplies for another 25k rounds ought to be going into business right now. :-)

Would these people also be keeping a substantial amount of finished ammo? Someone who has a substantial supply of ammo and enough reloading supplies for another 25k rounds ought to be going into business right now. :-)
    I'm sure they do as I have seen people buy cases (note the pluralization) of finished ammo at a time.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'm sure they do as I have seen people buy cases (note the pluralization) of finished ammo at a time.
    I can understand that for either a competitive shooter or a prepper who has decided to add a new caliber to the mix. Have you seen that with folks that are also reloaders? I've gotten the idea that if you're prepping for a large number of people, and for a long period of time, a really large amount of ammo and the need for reloading would make sense. I've not gotten into reloading yet, but I expect to at some point. I was thinking of that before the current panic. I don't shoot enough to really save money that way, but I feel it is an important skill and materials should be on my list of preps.

Most hoarders do not sell their supply's, they just keep buying more. There is a guy that lives a mile over from me, and he has one whole wall in his garage stacked with boxes of ammo, floor to ceiling. I would hate to guess how many rounds he has, but when I ask him if he would sell a couple of thousand rounds of .223, he looked at me like I was crazy!
    If he took all of that ammo to a gun show, he could make a fortune because he has had this ammo for at least 10 years, and probably gave 1/2 of todays prices when he bought it for.
    This guy is the A typical ammo hoarder, and he is quite old so I'm going to be watching the newspapers, and when he goes to the big hunting ground in the sky, I am going to make an offer on that ammo!

I can understand that for either a competitive shooter or a prepper who has decided to add a new caliber to the mix. Have you seen that with folks that are also reloaders? I've gotten the idea that if you're prepping for a large number of people, and for a long period of time, a really large amount of ammo and the need for reloading would make sense. I've not gotten into reloading yet, but I expect to at some point. I was thinking of that before the current panic. I don't shoot enough to really save money that way, but I feel it is an important skill and materials should be on my list of preps.
    IMO opinion it is out of fear. Note that I did not say irrational fear. One of the many proposals being tossed around in the "lets get whatever we can to further our gun ban cause" is background checks on ammunition. Many people have stopped purchasing from dealers, on line stores, or where records are kept for fear of future confiscation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel