Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a knot

Question need a knot

Was setting up a new treestand recently and found that the safety harness that came with it is far too short to allow the movement an archer needs. I was thinking of using a few loops of 550 paracord to lengthen the tether. Does anyone know a good knot for tying two ends together that would suffice for holding a good amount of weight? Whatever help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

??

Where's the Boy Scouts when you need em?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    Was setting up a new treestand recently and found that the safety harness that came with it is far too short to allow the movement an archer needs. I was thinking of using a few loops of 550 paracord to lengthen the tether. Does anyone know a good knot for tying two ends together that would suffice for holding a good amount of weight? Whatever help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
    Here is a site that should help you with that MMark. I bookmarked the Climbing section for you as it is probably the best for what you are trying to get done but there are many other sections at the top on the page as well. They explain each knot and also show how each is tied in animation so they are very easy to learn. I would look at a Zepplin Bend, Alpine Bend or a Hunter Bend for starters but you chose what is best for what you are doing and which one you like best.
    Hope this helps!
    Bj. wtrfwlr

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexcl...matedknots.com
    Last edited by wtrfwlr; 08-27-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Thanks Bj.! I really like the looks of the Zeppelin. i hear that's what they used to use for tying down the blimps!

You Betcha, glad to help. I don't know bout holding blimps down or nothing but I sure want something to hold you UP in a tree stand!
    It's a really good site, I learn or refresh alot of knots from there.

I would use at least a double fisherman's at the least. Personally, I would make the rope as long as I needed with a figure 8 loop on each end with a carabiner through each loop. If the harness has one, then just slip the figure 8 into that one, so you only need one new one. I don't like that zeppelin since it doesn't look secure when not under load. Bowlines would work, but have a greater tendency to slip vs a figure 8.

Hell, I'd probably tie a figure 8 and add a stop knot onto since it would be a permanent set up.

I would go with something that is mechanically rated to hold your weight. If you fall you will be shock loading the system and since your lengthening the system you have to rate the tether for the maximum shock load. Which will be in the thousands of pounds more than likely.

Your harness is designed to withstand a 300 lb person dropping 6'. Which generates 1,800lbs of shock force. Adding a length of harness strap could double that. But, even just using the factory strap with the 550 cord would pretty much render the system useless.

In a fall protection class at Sunbelt they said that OSHA doesn't allow knots in a fall protection system anymore. But, if they did the only knot allowed would be a figure 8. LOL

Seriously use the right size strap and a double STEEL carabiners. Buy climbing rated carabiners and maybe consider a shock absorbing lanyard. Keep the legs on your harness snug so if you fall you don't hurt your boys or tear an artery.

Those are good points and sound advice Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    In a fall protection class at Sunbelt they said that OSHA doesn't allow knots in a fall protection system anymore. But, if they did the only knot allowed would be a figure 8. LOL

Seriously use the right size strap and a double STEEL carabiners. Buy climbing rated carabiners and maybe consider a shock absorbing lanyard. Keep the legs on your harness snug so if you fall you don't hurt your boys or tear an artery.
    Good stuff Batch! I think that allowed knot is a properly dressed figure-8 on a bight (or a figure-8 follow through...same knot, tied with a different technique). OSHA approved, climb rated biners are rated for 5,000# breaking strength. For a single man-load, one per anchor should be sufficient. I think your advice on the paracord is right on...paracord ain't gonna cut it.

As long as this isn't a survival situation,... you have time to plan out your solution........and as much as the idea of being creative and handy with a home made rigging might be......paracord having been elevated to magic status.....Personally I would just find and purchase the proper harness.
    Safety equipment is best when it is made and used properly.

Cool knots and all, but you have to ask your self,.... How much are you worth?
    JMHO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Good stuff Batch! I think that allowed knot is a properly dressed figure-8 on a bight (or a figure-8 follow through...same knot, tied with a different technique). OSHA approved, climb rated biners are rated for 5,000# breaking strength. For a single man-load, one per anchor should be sufficient. I think your advice on the paracord is right on...paracord ain't gonna cut it.
    They still have non-locking carabiners and that is really the only reason you would need two biners. So, your strap doesn't accidentally roll out of the gate. If you use a locking biner you would be fine with one.

And always visually inspect any connection you make. I spent many years climbing and can tell that just hearing the gate snap shut isn't a good thing when you look down and see it connected to the handle on your lineman pliers! Make certain it connected where it is supposed to.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good info everyone. Batch, thanks for the input. I will check and see if I can find a strap thats rated for my weight, or another harness. BJ's link has the figure eight as well, so I'll work on that knot regardless! Thanks everyone for your concern over my safety!

I think that a figure eight know would work well or a bull knot. Here is a video of the figure eight knot. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy View Post
    I think that a figure eight know would work well or a bull knot. Here is a video of the figure eight knot. I hope this helps.

I would submit to you and Survivor Johnny that what is being demonstrated is an overhand knot with a loop, and not a figure 8 knot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Correct Crash. Where does he get figure 8 outta that?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I would submit to you and Survivor Johnny that what is being demonstrated is an overhand knot with a loop, and not a figure 8 knot.
    Yup. he needs to go a round one more turn before going through the loop. The second knot wants to be a truckers hitch. I been tying that for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Just to echo what everyone else is saying.......don't use paracord. Use a proper climbing rope. Unless....of course.....you like falling out of trees. Also, this knot that tjwilhelm describes here is the knot I would tie. I call it the figure 8 water knot. For climbing, there are two knots you NEED to know how to tie: a figure eight, and a water knot. A figure eight water knot is a combo of those two.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

looked more like he was tying a truckers hitch to me.

finallyME, could you post a link showing the knot you are talking about?