Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting "Nibbled"

Guess the 'rescuers just kinda waited till the bear was done?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

When they saw the toothpick next to the body they knew it was safe to go in. (Yeah, I know. That was morbid...but funny).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I do agree with you guys that a telephoto lens (and bear spray) plus respect for wildlife would have gone a long way to prevent these two deaths from occuring.
    I also find it in extremly bad taste to get all uppity and jokey about somebody who lost his life to a bear. I'm sure the guy had family and friends. We all make wrong decisions at times, and there's death waiting for all of us. Hopefully one without inane remarks from strangers in cyberspace.

Just my two cents.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    Well, I do agree with you guys that a telephoto lens (and bear spray) plus respect for wildlife would have gone a long way to prevent these two deaths from occuring.
    I also find it in extremly bad taste to get all uppity and jokey about somebody who lost his life to a bear. I'm sure the guy had family and friends. We all make wrong decisions at times, and there's death waiting for all of us. Hopefully one without inane remarks from strangers in cyberspace.

Just my two cents.
    How can you be 'sure' that guy had family and friends? I don't! My opinion is that his actions went way beyond the realm of a bad decision. His was more akin to "Hey, let's go swimmin down in the Piranha pool!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Having studied bears for more than 40 years, and having been involved with the harvesting of hundreds of bears. I can state with no reservation that getting mauled to death would be a horrific way to die.

I never understand why people don't bring the tools with them that indicate their status as the top of the food-chain.

Those tools don't guarantee survival though, Murphy is always there somewhere.

I don't feel real bad for the guy, he received a good death.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    How can you be 'sure' that guy had family and friends? I don't! My opinion is that his actions went way beyond the realm of a bad decision. His was more akin to "Hey, let's go swimmin down in the Piranha pool!

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows...ranha-pool.htm

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I scoff because I know what one has to go through to get a back country permit in Denali as I've had several. This guy knew better and chose to ignore the rules. Of course it is terrible for his family. I was not making fun of that part.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Sorry but I have no sympathy for someone that stupid! I have sympathy for his family (if any) but I look at it as "cleaning out the lower end of the gene pool". And I regret that the bear had to be killed because of his stupidity. The bear was just being a bear.
    Last edited by Old Professor; 08-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Sorry but I have no sympathy for someone that stupid! I have sympathy for his family (if any) but I look at it as "cleaning out the lower end of the gene pool". And I regret that the bear had to be killed because of his stupidity. The bear was just being a bear.
    Plus one on this.....bear wasn't being a PITA.... the guy was....now he isn't...Is his family and friends sad...maybe,....but stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

If anyone what's to feel bad for him...BMG....I don't, I feel bad for the bear.
    JMHO
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Another angle to this story is who is paying for the helicopter flight(s) and recovery worker man-hours? The answer, I fear, is you and me. Many mid-level park employees earn somewhere north of $25 an hour base, cola, & locailty pay. The park Superintendent makes something over $60 per hour. The flights are likely a couple grand each. It might help to deter future acts of stupidity if the responsible party(ies) or their estates were compelled to re-imburse the costs associated the rescue/recovery resulting from said stupidity.
    In Texas, muncipalities now charge drivers who enter and ignore high water road closures and end up putting others at risk, the cost of their recovery. There are potential criminal charges in addition to these imposed fees. I am not sure how sucessful the program is, but it makes me feel good knowing I am no longer subsidizing the costs of their stupidity.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 08-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some more info about this ...
    A good friend of mine who used to be Chief Ranger in Denali back in the 70s, just returned from a trip to the park and emailed me this about the incident:

Talked with Chief Ranger who says the grizzly that killed and chowed down on the visitor was a true predatory griz - a healthy adult male in great shape. Quite a rarity. The last major mauling in Denali was when we were there [when my friend and family lived there because of his job].
    Last edited by wildWoman; 09-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Actions speak louder than words