Thread: New guy from the South

Default New guy from the South

I am a 51 yr old guy from a small town in south Carolina. I am an out of work Veteran from 25 yrs of riding Submarines in the Worlds greatest Navy. I of course have lots of Military training, however, not much of it relates to survival in any place other than a Sub. I did once do a 50 day camp at the North Pole running comms for the Camp chief. I know youre asking yourself, Sub - On top of the Ice???? During the cold war, the navy sponsered a yearly team of scientists and other Brain-matter rich peeps head up onto the Ice via 3 camps. They were estabished around the True North Pole, seperated by distances you would relate to a couple of hours driving time by a mid 20s driver with a happy foot! While I did learn some survival skills strictly through trail and error, the one real Survival fact I did come away from there with was Never ever believe you can slam 1/2 a 5th of Jack Daniels in -45 degree temp, and thinking that the booze must have been defextive since you didnt feel anything after 30 mins and then decide, oh well, I'm hungry, and off I went to the Mess Tent. While it was a very chilly 30 degrees in the Mess tent, that was still a 75 degree jump in temp, with lit the JD Fuse and have it explode all over me in the form of that mornings breakfast, a weird coolored Liquid, the rest of that mornings breakfast, and last but certainly not least, one nicely chipped tooth, all my eyeballs rolled back into there sweet spot and me passing out, hitting everything on my way down.
    I grew up in the sount, a lone country boy, i say that because my nearest neighbor who hadnt been through the great depression lived about 6 miles away, So I was pretty much left to myself as far as my entertainment, which could be described as Innovating as hell all the way down to "Oh ****, wait til Dad hears about this!
    I qualified with expert in both 9mm and AR-15 and maintained that till I got out. I currently dont own anything auto but get through hunting season fairly successful with a Marlin 270 and a Winchester 12ga with swap out barrels for 28" hunting and a much smaller tactical.
    I came to this website as an obvious novice in the area of Survival, But i have a great interest in learning. As you guys begin to warm up to me ill bore the **** out of you with what I think my plans are. Bedtime, wife is yelling, later guys, thank for allowing me to log in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello & welcome

Howdy from the Hoosier state, and thank you for your service. You should get along well with CrashDive123, he also was a submariner.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

thank you for your service

Welcome home and thank you for your service.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome, and thank you for your service.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    Thank you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to the group...there are MANY interesting articles and topics here!

Hey Shipmate. Which boats?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks everyone, I have been reading like crazy in here, so much to take in and learn, Appreciate all the information in here. Hey Crash, I was a Fast boat sailor, most all 688s. I did tours on: USS Baltimore SSN-704
    USS Helena SSN-725
    USS Alexandria SSN-757
    USS Miami SSN-755
    USS Louisville SSN-724
    USS Holland AS-32
    Had the greatest time on Subs, wouldn't change a thing. How about you?

For me it was Boomers and Spec Op Boats. Did 24 Deterrent Patrols and some other play time. Wouldn't change it either.
    USS Sam Houston SSBN 609
    USS Sam Houston SSN 609
    USS Alabama SSBN 731
    USS Kentucky SSBN 737
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hello there