Thread: Old steel fry pans.

Default Old steel fry pans.

We are out at "The place' for a coupl eof weeks or so.....yesterday went to town, did some supply shopping and the whole town was rummage sales.

Passed up a LOT of them, but went by a place that had a canoe and puppies for sale....LOL

So found 5 steel fry pans old ones, 6" 7" 2-8" and a 9"....just wanted the 6" for my "long hunters kit" work in progress......but at a buck apiece, bought them all.

They look like this one.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    pic from ebay

Any one use these at all?

Have used the enamalled steel fry pans, and you have to be careful, as stuff burns easily compared to cast iron...but are a whole lot lighter.

I need to clean them up as they all have be used.....starting with the smallest 6".

Also found a block and tackle, looks like a hay lift, with rope on the set....for $5 bucks.

Passed on the puppies, "Blue tick coon hounds" (pup and papers), $100 and fiberglass canoe at $250.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have used similar pans. As with any thin walled material, things can scorch easily and the heat distribution may not be even. I have found that keeping the heat as low as possible, and increasing it very gradually works best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have several of those sheet metal frypans. You still need a glove when you cook with them.

They are great for lightweight camping. I have put a hinged socket for a removable wooden handle on a couple and that is handy.

I have spent many a happy weekend with only those two items and a spoon as cooking and eating gear. Fry up salt cured bacon and pone, then an apple to soak up the bacon grease in the skillet and boil up bean coffee in the tin cup.

Seems they have been packed away for far too long.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-19-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I just picked a corn broiler from Crazy Crow last week, so the small pan should fit right in my "Kit".....

Corn broiler:
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I, too, have one of the small fries (I slay myself). It's a nice little pan that I keep with an emergency stove. Does the job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.