Thread: Just back from my holiday

Default Just back from my holiday

I was not on a real holiday since 2008, so I was very excited before the trip. We chose Sunny Beach, Bulgaria because of the current Greek situation.
    Unfortunately the holiday was a nightmare...

The place was much worse than my expectations!
    There were a lot of garbage everywhere on the streets, even in the sea while I was swimming.
    I could not come out a shop without aggressive beggars.
    Bulgarians tried to force out more money with little "misunderstandings" like ice cream valued by grams, measured by hand.

I cannot suggest anyone to visit this country. It was the total opposite that I read about Bulgarians and the country before the trip.
    I was told that people there speak English and Spanish, but we cannot communicate even in German.

Next year that is sure I will go to the west instead of east...
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Blog Entries

Cripes, what a terrible waste of your time and money.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

That sucks.....(crossing off Bulgaria off list)...Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default Europe

My wife and I took a Med cruise in 2007 out of a port by Rome. We will not go back to Europe again. First thing I saw in the airport terminal in rest room was " Yankee go home" among other crap. The " taxi charged us $125 to go from airport to hotel. She had her purse picked by two young girls that picked on the wrong woman. The cruise was mostly Europeans and thought they were Gods gift to the world. The only port we really enjoyed was Croatia. The people were all so nice and friendly except for one nun that chased everyone out of a bascila ( spl). Every thing was also quite cheap. The city was really beautiful. It was Dubrovnik. Our guide for the tour had been in the war and told some stories about it and you could still see some damage from it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    My wife and I took a Med cruise in 2007 out of a port by Rome. We will not go back to Europe again. First thing I saw in the airport terminal in rest room was " Yankee go home" among other crap. The " taxi charged us $125 to go from airport to hotel. She had her purse picked by two young girls that picked on the wrong woman. The cruise was mostly Europeans and thought they were Gods gift to the world. The only port we really enjoyed was Croatia. The people were all so nice and friendly except for one nun that chased everyone out of a bascila ( spl). Every thing was also quite cheap. The city was really beautiful. It was Dubrovnik. Our guide for the tour had been in the war and told some stories about it and you could still see some damage from it.

Bill
    I have to highlight the fact here that I have never been to America. I don't know how the tourists are treated there.
    I'm sad to read your disappointment about Europe, but that is sure that other Europeans are not treated better... I have good experiences only from the United Kingdom and Spain.
    They really know how to behave with the foreign people, especially if you speak their language...

That's too bad. I'm sure it happens here, too. People think because someone is from out of town they can be taken advantage of. It's really sad. I'm sorry things weren't very nice. You save and wait all year for a trip and then it turns out like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's too bad. I'm sure it happens here, too. People think because someone is from out of town they can be taken advantage of. It's really sad. I'm sorry things weren't very nice. You save and wait all year for a trip and then it turns out like that.
    The worst thing is that I expected a kind of Heaven there after reading the good reviews on internet.
    I just wanted to escape from the 5x9h work weeks, see the nature and have a rest. At the end we prayed for the bus to take us home.
    I planned it as a low-cost trip, but finally I had to use the emergency money, not to mention their change rates...

Sorry that your trip was a bad one. How dare somebody put something on the internet that isn't true.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That does stink EA! I went to Europe three times with the Navy. Everywhere I went, people seemed to like us. Of course there is always a few individuals that didn't. Overall, if we weren't like, we couldn't tell.

(Italy and UK were the best places I went though, for those wanting to travel!)
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Ireland was a blast. I went to Dublin and Schligo (spl?). I actually like the small town of Schligo a lot more than Dublin. Dublin was cool, but it was a major city, not really all that different from other major cities. Schligo though was a cool little town, a lot of friendly people, especially in the pubs. The locals at the town vs town football match were awesome to hang out with too.

Sorry to hear your trip was a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    Ireland was a blast. I went to Dublin and Schligo (spl?). I actually like the small town of Schligo a lot more than Dublin. Dublin was cool, but it was a major city, not really all that different from other major cities. Schligo though was a cool little town, a lot of friendly people, especially in the pubs. The locals at the town vs town football match were awesome to hang out with too.

Sorry to hear your trip was a bummer.
    That is one thing I have noticed no matter where you go. Get away from the cities and go to the little places. I was in a small little restaurant in Italy when they won the world cup in 2006. I have yet to find a larger celebration in my life. My buddies and I ate and drank so much and everything was free! Fireworks were going off, people were dancing and cheering, lots of kissing, their national anthem on every radio station. It was quite an evening.

Even outside of that, small towns were great. If you needed good info, give a waitress or cabby a little extra tip. Good sights and relaxing time.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I'd like to fly next year instead of a long bus trip. I'm thinking about Manchester or Barcelona at first.
    If I will have the opportunity I'd like to visit Florida. That would be a longer and better trip.

If you have any suggestions for holiday, I am open to read them.

If you come to south Florida you are better off coming in the dry season between November and early April. Depends on what you want to do as to what is the best time.

I'd like just look around in new places, meet new people, communicate, enjoy and rest. I like to visit cities and small villages as well.
    And of course I love the nature.
    Perhaps I should buy a motor-home and travel the world...
    Last edited by el-amigo; 08-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Your city would probably be Miami and there is a million things to do there. If you want more laid back you have Naples and Fort Myers to the west.

Nature is off the chain down here. You can drive across Tamiami Trail through the Everglades. You'll see alligators galore in some really scenic settings. You have Loop Road and Turner River road that you can drive in Big Cypress Preserve. You can stop at the Oasis Station, headquarters for Big Cypress National Preserve. Further along Tamiami Trail you come to Jane's scenic Trail in Copeland, Fl (pop 274). This is a great place to take a drive and also take a guided swamp hike. Here is a video of trail cams showing some of the wildlife that make Fakahatchee strand their home.

The bird life in this area is unbelievable and the rookeries are crazy in spring. If your into orchids there are some that grow here and no where else.

There are some other small towns like Jerome, Carnestown and Ochopee. In Ochopee, across from the smallest post office in the US there is Joeannie's Crab shack. You'll also find Clive Butcher's photo studio and The Skunk Ape Research Center. You could turn south on 29 and go eat some real good seafood in Everglades City and check out Ted Smallwood's store on the island of Chukoluskee which is now a museum to old Gladesmen. Some of the best fishing on the planet is right there.

You can't forget Coopertown (population 8) which is a tourist stop west of Miami on the trail. It is popular with the tourists for airboat rides and swamp food.

Wow, thank you for this detailed introduction!

I met with my old American professor friend here in Budapest.
    He is a language professor from Florida, and learns Hungarian.
    He likes Hungary, but we (his friends) have to help him a lot.
    That is sure it is easier if you have friends in the country that you visit.

BTW I got a good brochure about Kansas city.

Cougars and Zombie Cougars just added to the list. Who knew Florida had zombie cougars? Show of hands? Anyone? That's what I thought. They keep that kind of stuff to themselves.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.