Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antibiotics for your SHTF stockpiles

2) I'll bet the Amoxicillin/Ampicillin/Doxycycline/etc... that ends up end your vet's cabinet only differs from your pharmacy's by labeling. Same product, different intended end-users.
    there's one other difference. the antibiotics sold for human consumption are guaranteed safe for the purpose even if they are from the same manufacturer lot. we may imagine for example a case of contaminated medicine (it does happen) causing organ damage (though many antibiotics can do that on their own). you stand a fair chance of making a claim against the manufacturer of human drugs to recoup your subsequent dialysis expenses. try that line with a veterinary antobiotic supplier. even human drugs are not always safe, but one major difference is that the manufacture must have them certified so anyway, and are responsible for the consequences.

i hope i am not sounding like a broken record, but this further reason i do not recommend taking veterinary drugs except in the direst of emergency, as when absolutely no alternative exists. if that is the case then by all means, any port in a storm, but this is why i advise trying to have human meds if possible.

also: don't forget to store your meds responsibly.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

A close friend of mine happens to be a Veterinarian. I've known him for 20+ years and the breadth of his knowledge never ceases to amaze me. He works with many types of animals, canines, felines, livestock, horses, birds and a wide variety of rare exotic animals. I also know some of his patients have had six and even seven figure valuations. The manufacturers of these drugs understand this and don't want the liability for a bad product any more than any other manufacturer would. I've also been told that many pet foods have more stringient regulations on maufacturing than some foods made for human consumption. So it stands to reason that the medications made for the animal industry would be well regulated too.

I am not a trained medical professional, but the link in my OP was written by a physician and he makes a compelling argument specifically about a few veterinary labled antibiotics. I think it offers useful information which could help people to think "outside of the box" in a survival scenario. A tiny morsel of information which might save you or a loved one someday.

Any time my cats have had an infection they get amoxocillan. It smells like bubblegum or bananas just like infant/ child meds.

If they wanted to make it easier to medicate a cat they should make it smell like fish...or mice.

Ohterwise it's probably the same people grade med.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47