Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakes and do you eat them

haven't had turtle in a while. i tend to eat those outside, so i don't have to bone them. just eat meat off of bones, right out of the carapace, and spit on ground.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've never eaten a snake. Turned one loose in school once, but that was just for fun. I wouldn't hesitate mind you, if it's meat, let's eat!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Snake is pretty good. Last summer at the lake there were hundreds of huge Water Snakes like 4 feet long, and I killed a couple with my slingshot and cooked them up. This summer I hope to get a few with my bow.

Iv'e never had turtle meat, there is plenty of Snapping Turtles hear, but I heard somewhere not to eat Box turtles up north because they eat poisonous berries and mushrooms and if you eat that species you can become ill, no matter how long you cook it, so I avoid those type. But I have braces so I can't eat tough meat like turtle.

i don't believe that jive about the box turttles.

turttle is not tough meat, unless you cook it that way.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Oh, didn't know that. I thought it was tough meat no matter what, my error. But I recieved that information, I think, from Army Survival.

turtle as i eat it, is well baked/steamed in a fire in it's own carapace, and is a little stringy in texture, but soft, and occasionaly, seems over cooked.

many people like to eat turtle soup, wherin the flesh is quite tender.

There was a post on here about how to clean them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I missed that post. I genraly use a hatchet to separate the shell at the joints, skin the legs and then cube all the meat. Either boil it first and use it for stew or batter any fry it in oil. I have roasted it a few times I will have to try steaming them.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Well, I thought there was but I can't locate it. Anyway, here is a link to cleaning turtles. CAUTION: If you are easily squeamish, don't go there. This shows the actual steps.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-clean-a-turtle/
    Last edited by Rick; 03-08-2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's an instructable on cleaning a snake and it contains a link on cooking it. CAUTION: If you are easily squeamish, don't go there. This shows the actual steps.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-a-Dead-Snake/
    Last edited by Rick; 03-08-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks Rick, sort of how I do it looks like there is no easy way
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

been trying to get my wife to eat snake for years she just says its gross

i like to cook turtle first, as the shell becomes more easily removed. i haven't tried, but i bet you could do it with a good hot parboil.

Quote Originally Posted by beerrunner13 View Post
    Soft shell turtle is great we catch some pretty big ones here. No fun to clean but well worth the work.
    You should try a 150 pound alligator snapping turtle for some real fun. Not only do they have the strongest shell you've ever seen, but until you kill them, they can take off your fingers.
    Last edited by GVan; 03-10-2008 at 03:41 AM.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

most any turtle over 12" could take off a finger, so that should always be a concern.

Greeting all. I'm back after a long trip.
    A couple of words of caution. once you lop the snakes head off dont play around with it. the biting reflex lasts for about 30-45min after the head is severed and can still diliver a dose of venom as the venom glands are located just behind or around the orbits. so you can get envenomated by a severed head.
    I agree that most snakes are good eating although most are pretty bland. Kraits(Bangarus sp) on the other hand are rubbery, bitter and will leave a bitter aftertaste in your mouth all day.
    chees!
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Welcome back Jay!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Hey Jay - welcome back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Snake is a very rare dish around my place ever since mama came out and ran in to the three rattlers (dead already) I was fixin to skin...she didnt talk to me for a week course she was probobly horse from all the racket she made
    Life is a path that cannot be seen but must be walked