Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What I found on my cast iron fry pan hunt today

I just fixed a Wagner 10 pot and domed lid. Couldn't tell what it was, it was in terrible shape. A camp fire and get them red hot works great and then slow cool, finish with a light steel wool rub down. And lots of paper towels to wipe down really good before oiling. And cured on the grill the next day. Oh and using a little smoke in the curing process brings back that dark used look.

Any of you guys in the SW Va area....I'm going to be setting up to clean a few yard sale scores using the electrolysis method. I'll be running a 12" skillet...a 16" skillit....and a 8qt DO.

Last time I did this it took 4 days +.....but they came out great

I have a gas grill at the shop and will be re-curing with bacon fat back....but if you want I can just spray with veggie oil and you can use which ever method you like.

I should have plenty of room....I'm using a 55 gal plastic drum.....may have one other piece to do if the guy drops it off.

If the base is pitted....I have grinders with sanding and polishing wheels at my shop to smooth out mild pitting.

PM me if you are interested....mid Oct.

Just an update....it took a campfire to get rid of my goo and glitter.....I reseasoned and have made bread a couple times........I'm happy

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Nothing like a good ol' campfire to get them good and hot!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Did I already show mine off here (along with the new curtains I just made)? That square griddle is the only one I don't use. It has no markings on it. I found it in the bottom oven drawer of a house I moved into. One of mine says Eire, PA. One of them says Griswold. I forget what the others say as I mostly use those two.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Nice, I haven't gotten all my cast iron implements all together for a family shot yet, some in the camper, some at home, a couple in the tent camping box... Maybe a good winter project.
    Last edited by Jimmyq; 10-03-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: schpelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    Nice, I haven't gotten all my cast iron implements all together for a family shot yet, some in the camper, some at home, a couple in the tent camping box... Maybe a good winter project.
    LOL that's what I was thinking, some in the Rondy cook trunk, some at "The Place", some sitting around waiting for a purpose in life........If I hung them all up the wall would fall over......

1st....nice kitchen, good job......
    Last edited by hunter63; 10-03-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks. I have my eyes open for a dutch oven, though I don't know where I would put it lol Cabin living makes one really determine what is necessary and what is not. But for a good dutch oven, I'd find a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Thanks. I have my eyes open for a dutch oven, though I don't know where I would put it lol Cabin living makes one really determine what is necessary and what is not. But for a good dutch oven, I'd find a spot.
    A DO is one of the most versatile cooking vessels in existence....hands down.

fry, bake, boil....it will do it.

Banned

Nice collection there 1st.

Another cleaning method I've used on "new used" pieces (and posted here on another thread) is to place the "gunky" cast iron into a self-cleaning oven and run it through a cleaning cycle. Works like a charm but it does take it down to bare metal and require re-seasoning. I've used the hardwood coal method as well with the same results. It just takes a bit longer than the oven method. If I don't know the history of the piece then I prefer to clean it thoroughly before placing it into service.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 10-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I found a 12 qt dutch oven, with legs and lid....my mother was using it as a flower planter!!! You could have heard my scream two miles away! I promptly confiscatred it and rehabed it and it works wonderfully. I have a recipe for making a loaf of Shepards Bread that fills the whole oven. I don't made it very often but when I do it doesn't last long.

About a year ago, I finally talked my Wife into getting a large cast iron skillet and ditch the non-stick one. A couple of weekends ago she was using it and asked me; "Why didn't you insist on one of these earlier".
    I have a couple of smaller ones I use at the work trailer, and some for camping. They seem to appear, every time I go to Goodwill or St. Vinny's.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Is any one making a large skillet with rounded sides? I have an egg pan with rounded sides....but would like to have a 14"....easier to flip stuff while cooking.

14" cast iron easier to flip? If my house gets hit by a tornado the cast iron is the only thing sure to be safe. It will right where I left it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    14" cast iron easier to flip? If my house gets hit by a tornado the cast iron is the only thing sure to be safe. It will right where I left it.
    The round sided ones are usually not as tall and have round sides.....it's probably 30% or lighter than a skillet of the same size.

The wife says the one I want is a 12" shallow round side....I wouldn't think it'd weigh any more than 4.5 lbs....maybe 5 lbs.

My 8" egg pan weighs 2lb 1oz.

Went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and they had several stacks of cast iron pans,sorted through them,and came up with 9 wagner and griswalds,asking 4 each,got them for 3 brought them home and the boyfriend cleaned and seasoned them,we have quite a few,and they all are Griswalds,Wagners and Lodge,only about 3 pieces are Lodge though. We have 2 DO's one of which we cook in frequently,and one huge cast iron kettle that he has had for years,and we just purchased a tripod for at Friendship.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Wow what a score Nell!

We love cast iron cookware. Just picked up a 3 quart, porcelain coated pot and lid to add to our home use supply.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Went to a yard sale a few weeks ago and they had several stacks of cast iron pans,sorted through them,and came up with 9 wagner and griswalds,asking 4 each,got them for 3 brought them home and the boyfriend cleaned and seasoned them,we have quite a few,and they all are Griswalds,Wagners and Lodge,only about 3 pieces are Lodge though. We have 2 DO's one of which we cook in frequently,and one huge cast iron kettle that he has had for years,and we just purchased a tripod for at Friendship.
    pics..........pics are good.

Snapped a pic of what was in the cabinet...

internal racks.....

I'll get a pic of what's in the chuck box later....and I'll have to find a pic of some of the stuff at work waiting to be refinished....