Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !!!Earth Quake Prepping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Migration has been the most successful survival strategy all through human history.
    Truer words have not been spoken. Now if can just get off my butt...

I'm goin' to Ric's house!

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

As a Geographer, I taught Natural Hazards and Hazard Mitigation for many years. It was like teaching to the blind and deaf! Students (and people in general) do not want to think long term or critically about where they live and believe that "some one ie: the Government", will take care of them if a disaster strikes. Taking the New Madrid Earth Quakes of 1811/1812 as an example, most people refuse to believe that such an event could happen again, inspite of media specials and government reports. We have a name for people like that, we call them "Victims!" I am sorry to say this but after years of trying to get people to take responsibility for their exposure to disasters or potential disasters, I now have little sympathy for most people when a disaster occurs.

OP - It's really like driving without a seatbelt or standing on the top step of a lander. It doesn't take a whole lot of marbles rolling around to figure out the possible consequence does it? I did that for our company for a few years and you can actually point out hazards, explain the consequence, explain how to mitigate it, come back in a year and find the same hazard untouched. It's really mind boggling. This is an honest to goodness true story. I had to audit one installation and the results affected the bonus of the manager so they did try to make certain everything was in order. I had told them I was coming and gave them the date. They did pretty good on the audit until I went into one department. He had a doozey of a failure. I told it was an easy fix. I wasn't going to write it up but I would come back the next day and re-audit it, which I did. He hadn't done a thing to it. I wrote him up for being stupid and his manager missed his bonus. He was not a happy camper. I...come back....tomorrow. Next day....redo...audit...you fix....savvy?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    It's been nice knowing y'all!
    I guess I won't be able to make it to Hunter's "Place" on December 21, after all.
    Now are you sure that is the last person you wont to see on this earth??? Well I suppose it's a step up from Rick and surviver dog LOL.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

The name is Razor, fellah. R.A.Z.E.R....Razor....wait, did I spell that right? (r.a.z......)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When North America splits apart from Hudson bay to the Gulf of Mexico,..... I'll be in an inlet, on the Mississippi ocean...... if I don't slide off the hill.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

OLD PROFESSOR - " Taking the New Madrid Earth Quakes of 1811/1812 as an example, most people refuse to believe that such an event could happen again, inspite of media specials and government reports. We have a name for people like that, we call them "Victims!"
    Yep. Many years ago I came up with what I call them, "Bliss Ninnies."

S.M.

Bliss Ninnies? I had a whole other picture conjured up there for a minute. A couple of them actually.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    Now are you sure that is the last person you wont to see on this earth??? Well I suppose it's a step up from Rick and surviver dog LOL.
    Hummmm, not so sure about that one......

But Hey, seniorman....I do like Bliss ninnies......

Bliss Ninny is my disguise and I do it well!

I waited in the mountains for my beachfront property for years. I'm rather impatient so I live 3 miles from the Pacific Ocean at 200 feet elevation, the evacuation destination for north of the river. I feel tremors every day. I'm near a subduction zone that has a Big One every 200 years, and of course we expect THE Big One anytime. I should have a nice saltwater inlet off my backyard with the next 6 or better.

I don't know how the rest of you can live with tornado threats. That would scare the heck outta me!

THE Big One will level the metro area, cause the shorelines to turn to pudding and crack our landing strips. Massive slides will take out roads and bridges (like they do every winter), the tsunami will mess up our small port. The Cavalry will not be coming to the rescue. Metro will be sucking up all available resources, we will be on our own. We're actually pretty cool with that. We're not called Preppers Paradise for nuthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple Plum View Post
    I should have a nice saltwater inlet off my backyard with the next 6 or better.
    Or staring at beachfront property as you float gently out to sea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Or staring at beachfront property as you float gently out to sea.
    I'd be cool with that. An island with a landing strip and boat launch is prime real estate.

Earthquakes bounce, slam and move stuff around, but they don't toss your stuff 30 miles away like tornadoes do.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

The big difference between tornado and earth quake preparedness is that you can build a tornado shelter at a very modest cost, compared to building an earth quake proof structure. And I have seen plans that claim to be tornado proof houses (dome shaped). Also tornados do not generally cause geological alterations of the enviroment. If I had my druthers, I would druther deal with tornadoes than earth quakes! of course major tornadoes are much more frequent than major earthquakes!

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

I'd be cool with that. An island with a landing strip and boat launch is prime real estate.

Earthquakes bounce, slam and move stuff around, but they don't toss your stuff 30 miles away like tornadoes do.
    No it wont throw it, you will just have liquefaction and it will sink... ^^
    "What Defines A God,
    The Powers They Behold,
    Or How They Wield Them?"

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

* PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT *

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuki View Post
    No it wont throw it, you will just have liquefaction and it will sink... ^^
    You'll note in my list of earthquake preps is don't live where the ground will turn to pudding. It's important. Build your house high and dry on rock and you won't sink. Tilt a bit maybe, but not sink.

Another important earthquake prep is a flexible well pipe.

Really, you get used to waking up from dreams of rough seas and your bed bouncing across the room.

Really, you get used to waking up from dreams of rough seas and your bed bouncing across the room.
    ***sigh*** Not so much as I age.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ***sigh*** Not so much as I age.
    With earthquakes, the bed doesn't spin.

I'm thinking he meant "earth move"......you know when.....oh never mind.

Carry on.

I grew up in "Tornado Alley," north central Arkansas. For 36 years I lived in severe "Earthquake country," Los Angeles, Calif.

If I have to live through a catastrophe of either the tornado or earthquake persuasions, having experienced both, I will take the earthquake.

Where I grew up, part of the town was blown away in one tornado. In another tornado, a nearby town was literally "disappeared" by the spinning winds.

There was no liquifaction where I lived in Los Angeles during the Sylmar, Whittier, or Northridge 'quakes. Those three 'quakes were on the order of 7.0 R. I assure you, boys and girls, a 'quake of that magnitude will definitely gain your attention.

As mentioned above, a tornado can quite literally blow away not only your home, but all your possessions, leaving you only with a debris covered piece of land.

In a major 'quake, unless your home burns, you'll still be able to salvage most of your stuff.

As for beds spinning around, maybe not, but they'll surely move, big time! During the Sylmar 'quake, 1971, in the middle of the night when it struck, I was actually tossed out of my bed onto the floor the bed was jerking laterally so violently.

During the 1994 Northridge 'quake, which occured about 4:30 AM, the bed was actually shaking violenty right and left laterally, and at the same time, bouncing up and down several inches off the floor. The only reason my wife and I were not thrown off the bed onto the floor was because we had a stout brass headboard onto which we held firmly. Later, I discovered that the headboard and footboard brass tubes where shattered by the violent vertical and lateral simultaineous movements.

Although our home and some possessions sustained damage, we still had our stuff with which to "survive" and retain some degree of "comfort."

Nope, when push comes to shove, I'll opt for the earthquake over the tornado. (I hope I never experience either again.)

Just my thoughts on the subject.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 08-15-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Correct typo.