Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !!!Earth Quake Prepping!!!

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

Default !!!Earth Quake Prepping!!!

Everyone in the world, especially people in high active Seismic Zones should have an earthquake plan. A bad enough earthquake can lead to wilderness survival. Wilderness survival is not only for Zombie Apoc, Invasion of your country, and what not. It is for natural disasters. Earthquakes are very very dangerous. Some people think only the ring of fire can get earthquakes. That is not to Technically and region can get an earth quake because their are Seismic Zones all over the world. Some active like the ring of fire and some not so active like ones on the East Coast.

I have friends on the East Coast and Midwest, who say "Oh, your in CA watch out for those earthquakes..."
    Truth is the east coast can get earthquakes too as was found out on Aug. 23, 2011.

"Tremors from the Virginia earthquake were felt as far south as Atlanta, Georgia; as far north as Quebec City, Quebec; as far west as Illinois and as far east as Fredericton, New Brunswick, with damage reported as far away as Brooklyn in New York City."

"The 2011 Virginia Earthquake occurred on August 23, 2011, at 1:51 pm EDT (17:51 UTC) in the Piedmont region of the US state of Virginia. The epicenter of the earthquake was in Louisa County, Virginia, where damage was greatest and several minor injuries occurred. The town of Mineral, located 5 mi (8 km) south-southwest from the earthquake's epicenter, reported the collapse of two buildings, as well as minor damage to several other structures, including the collapse of the ceiling in its Town Hall. "

On the west coast we are taught and prepped for earthquakes from birth. After talking with friends from the Mid West and East Coast I found out they are almost never taught about earth quakes apart fro ma shelter in place drill and taught about California is a state with earthquakes. If you still dont think the East Coast/Mid West do not get earth quakes look at "The Great Midwest Earthquake of 1811".

I would like to involve us West Coast members to help educate our Brothers and Sisters that are in areas where an Earth Quake is rare. If we can educate them now it will help ensure their survival on what not to do and what to do in the event of a Moderate/Major earthquake. The East Coast is at a higher right for Major dmg from earthquakes because their buildings are not retrofitted like ours on the West Coast. Their ESU's are not as highly trained for Earth Quakes as for example LAPD, LAFD, SFFD, SFPD.

If anyone is up to this please start posting information with me. This will need to be a community effort. This site is about survival and sharing information on survival, I think surviving an earthquake is one of those top survival issues out their. The East Coast is far more likely to get a major earthquake, than get a Zombie Apoc.

Stay Safe,
    Stay Smart,
    Stay Educated
    Kosuki

Banned
    Blog Entries

9 minutes after the OP we had a weee shaker.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Go to the FEMA website and look at their list of what you should have stored/on hand to deal with a natural disaster. This is a good place to start. I live on(next to) a fault line, although there hasn't been a significant quake in many, many years, it is still a possibility that I take into account in my preperations for natural disasters. I finally have all the items FEMA reccomends on hand or stored.

Default Earthquake PDF guides

DOWNLOAD ZIP- LINK
    I have comprised a zip file with PDF documents for prepping and surviving an earthquake. All of these guides come from sites that are Private & Gov. sites. These are good guides to read to help you prepare. I know its not much but anything can help. This is so you do not have to go browsing the internet for guides. The guides all all here. If in the future the Zip link is broken all of the links to individual guides are linked here as well.
    PDF Guides"

ESG= Earthquake Survival Guide

Earthquakecounty- Earthquake County
    This PDF is called "Putting down rootsin earthquake country"
    Fema-240- Ready Gov
    This PDF is called "Earthquake Preparedness What Every Child Care Provider Needs to Know"
    Fema Earthquake Prep- Fema
    This PDF is called "Fema Earthquake Prep" It is a complete that I have combined from individual guides from Femas page in the link.
    Fema_B_526_ENG_R1- Fema
    This PDF is called "Earthquake Safety Checklist FEMA B-"
    Los Angeles county ESG- LA Country Guide
    This PDF is called "County of Los Angeles ESG"
    BeRedCrossReady Earthquake- Red Cross
    This PDF is called "BeRedCrossReady Earthquake"

Through teamwork and community effort we can all be better prepared for survival!

DOWNLOAD ZIP- LINK

Someday when -- a matter of "when," not "if" -- the New Madrid fault pops again, as it did in 1811-1812, folks in the midwest and south are gonna be doin' some slow walkin' and soft singin', big time! I grew up in that area and we used to feel tremors periodically.

I lived in Los Angeles for 36 years and went through the Sylmar 'quake, the Whittier 'quake, and the Northridge 'quake. Boys and girls, if you've never been in a genuine shaker, you just don't know what real fun is like!

If you live in a seismic zone, be prepared.

S.M.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, but look how many quakes Alaska had this morning.

I have felt the earth move a few times.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Funny how the earthquake was felt as far away as Georgia. I was as at home in the central part of NC and never felt it.

Are there any members from Oregon, Washington, or other areas that don't really focus on earthquakes so much? What has your experience with this been? Having been raised in Klamath Falls Oregon we were never taught earthquake safety or drills until the 93 quake. There was a big focus on it for a few years. Are kids at school in those areas getting any earthquake preparedness training, or drills?

Kind of funny you posted this, I just read a scenario in a book by Tony Nester called Surviving a Disaster. The first sentence of the scenario reads: "You are in the heart of the city driving home from work on the highway when you feel the rumbling of what will turn out to be a 8.0 earthquake sweeping over the region."
    The next day I found alternate routes around bridges- I found out I can't eliminate bridges all together but at least I have alternate routes and won't have to fart with maps or GPS to figure it out.

If you think it can't happen where you live...think again.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Stay out of old brick buildings. Don't live where humongous concrete structures reside. Don't live where a mountain will slide or fall on top of you. Don't live where the mountain may fall out from under your house no matter how beautiful the view. Don't live in the tsunami zone or on a flood plain. Don't build your house on the sand, on silt, in a swamp or wherever the ground will turn to pudding.

Store heavy stuff low, lightweight unbreakable stuff higher. Book cases and other tall funiture should be cantelevered and anchored to the wall. Latching cabinet doors saves clean-up and buying new dishes, a good lip or rails on pantry shelves to keep the groceries from getting messed up.

Official minimum recommended earthquake preps for my area.....4 months.

Ride it out. I'm a West Coaster and I have a seizmic monitor 1/2 mile from my house

Well, that eliminated 7 continents and 23 islands. I wonder if you can live on a blimp? Hmmm.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Crabapple Plum, I'm glad you mentioned shelf rails or lips. I see pictures of beautiful pantries loaded with home canned jars and I cringe every time. What a mess in an earthquake! I keep my jars in boxes and try to place them on shelves close to the floor. I found great boxes at Costco. I think they had grapes in them & hold 18 quart jars. Very heavy-duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple Plum View Post
    Stay out of old brick buildings. Don't live where humongous concrete structures reside.

Ride it out. I'm a West Coaster and I have a seizmic monitor 1/2 mile from my house
    It's been nice knowing y'all!
    I guess I won't be able to make it to Hunter's "Place" on December 21, after all.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Sounds like a lot more stuff to worry about for an event that only occurrs once every 1200 years in our area. And in our area such preps and concerns would be a sneeze in a hurricane due to the major events we have in the Mississippi Valley.

We get occasional 3 -3.5 quakes, which put off the occurrance of the "big one" each time they occurr.

The New Madrid fault is the primary fracture influncing our area and it is a "different" type earthquake from the west coast variety. It is not just a big shake and a couple of aftershocks. In 1812 it shook off and on for a couple of years with big trimmors that did major damage several times in that period. It also did major geological shifting and landforming as far away as 500 miles. Karst formations collapsed all over the region, sand geizers erupted for years. The poineers of the region abandoned their cabins and lived in tents for fear of the continual long term shaking.

In other words, if it acts like it did in 1812, tremmors could start tomorrow and the full extent of the damage not conclude untill 2014-2015. Memphis would be gone, St. Louis would be half gone, Louisville woud be gone, Little Rock AK would be gone, Paducah, KY would be gone along with its nuclear facility, Cincinnati would take major damage, Lord knows where the Mississippi River, Ohio River and Cumberland River would wind up, what man made dams would collapse and cause flooding on massive scale in most of the cities of the region or what new lakes would appear.

A majority of the population would have cleared out after the tremmors did not stop with the first big shake. Imagine the majority of the population of a ten state area (20,000,000+-) evacuating over a collapsed infrastructure. Roads would literally disappear, 90% of the bridges would be impassable, air traffic would be canceled due to airport damage and the ralis would be twisted beyond use. No, you can not drive your 4wd bad-boy across the Ohio River!

There would be no "quick recovery" or the Government bringing help and order with things going back to normal after a month or two. A big chunk of the Mississippi Valley would be cleared for several years. Katrina on a huge scale!

Good luck with those shelf lips.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A little staright talk from Kyrat is like a triple esspresso shot on an empty stomach.
    I'll get to the earfquake preps just as soon as the shakes subside. (Or maybe you can just shoot me now.)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not belittling the need for thinking about earthquakes nationwide while prepping. I am just stating the history of the region I live in and how it happened the last time the New Madrid Fault turned lose. It was not like a California earthquake event where it shakes for 35 seconds, you start cleanup the next day and 6 months latter no one remembers the exact day it happened.

The New Madrid event was more like the "Big One" everyone on the west coast fears, only it was in the mid west and it did not stop for 2 years!

The only preps suitable for that senerio are among the TEOTWAWKI goofballs. Only it would not be the end of the world, just the ruin of a small section.

Rather than stay and be a martyr for the survivalist cause, that might be the time to get in the NG helicopter and hitch a ride a couple of states over, like the Katrina refugees. Might even consider building a new life elsewhere while things settle down. Migration has been the most successful survival strategy all through human history.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Live on a blimp? Hurricanes?

Here's right on the New Madrid. I've seen archaeological studies where sand geysers laid sand down over 40 feet deep. And the interesting thing is this is not just a one time event. Those studies found 1000 year old artifacts on top of old sand geysers. So the region is pretty notorious for sand blows. A portion of the land simply dropped several feet and formed Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee. I've fished it several times and it's not a small lake...about 25,000 acres!!!

A big deal is made about the earthquake forcing the Mississippi River to flow backwards but in those days you could walk across the Mississippi in many places before the spring rains. There were no dams, levees, locks or dredging. In dry years it was just a stream.

But I don't want to be around when the next big one shakes. There will be a lot of farmland for sale in Mo, Ill, Ky, Tn, and Ark. All you'll have to do is clean up the mess and the bodies and move right in. I know where a slightly used Arch will be, too.