Thread: Attn: New Net Makers

Default Attn: New Net Makers

I originaly posted this tutorial as a method of showing netmakers how to increase their speed

Over time I have found that it is easier to teach (and learn) net making by using this method.
    You do not have to remember to make the bight (loop) to the left. Just grab the needle as shown (the twine coming off the bottom of the needle) and keep the twine over your wrist, the loop forms automatically. Try it. Tony

At one of my net making demonstrations years ago a spectator who was a tatting expert suggested this method. It eliminates the need to make a bight to the left of the loop you are tying into. This results in a increase in the speed of the netting process.
    I have since used this method to teach beginning net makers. It is a lot less confusing than the traditional method to teach (and learn). Good Luck. Tony

1. Go through the loop of the previous row as normal . Maintain the Pinch. Instead of making the bight (loop) to the left, bring the needle to the right underneath the cord so that the cord lies over the back of your hand.
    2. Bring the needle behind the 2 strands as usual, the cord stays around the back of your hand.
    3. Back your hand out of the loop and tighten as usual.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by asemery; 08-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Thanks! I'll give it a go, I'm making a tote-bag right now! I have 5 rows so far, I'll finish the rest this way. And by the way, I figured out my trouble with the missed loops. I used a large metal ring for my anchor and it is much easier for me to keep things in order.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Ok, I just did a row around like that and must say that is a very good way to do this, I like it alot! It keeps my work on the right side and it is much easier to keep the knot loop up above the pinch and is just more of a natural feel to it, plus it is certainly faster as I don't have to move back to the left and pick up the loop. Great tip, thank you!
    Bj.wtrfwlr

I am glad you like the "tatting" method. You have confirmed my observation. Thanks. Tony

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

I need a better guide i cant work with just 3 images. I know nothing about this. What I find online is just the supplies and blurry, quick, unhelpful youtube videos... Any one know any good guides?

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuki View Post
    I need a better guide i cant work with just 3 images. I know nothing about this. What I find online is just the supplies and blurry, quick, unhelpful youtube videos... Any one know any good guides?
    Here are his instructions Part 1 and 2. This is what I have started with and it has gotten me off to a good start. I have never done nets before and have only completed 3 so far but I am picking it up pretty quickly and having alot of fun learning this. Tony is great at this and is very willing to help. I too will help you out however I can even though I am very new to this myself.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...g-Part-1-and-2

Kosuki,
    Those 3 photos are not meant to be a net making tutorial but rather a show an easier way to form the sheet bend. As wtrfwir suggests you can go directly to my basic net making instructions on this forum.
    If you Google "net making instructions" the first listing is the "nets and net making" forum. There you will find my instructions (a sticky) and several other sets of instructions and videos. Any problems please ask either here or over there. Tony (asemery)

To clarify the "nets and net making" section is the netting instruction part of the Pineapple Knot Forum. If you go to the index you will see over a dozen netting related topics. Tony

Some of the instructions that come to mind are
    Rope Works
    Pomo Netting More than Fish and Hammocks.
    They approach the craft from different angles so stay with the approach you like the best. Tony