Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cows or Goats? Which is Best?

Blog Entries

But they're soft golden spounge cakes filled with a delious cream filling, actually eating one right now but its banna flavor... yum yum.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I heard this on a documentary. If you look at the world as a whole, goats are the most common farm animal. Not in the US of course, but in Europe, Middle East, and Asia. You can use their fur, milk, or meat, and they eat anything, even dry twigs in the desert. I'm not saying their meat will taste great but it will keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Goats milk is gross, goat meat and lamb is nasty (only drinking and eating it if in dire need) beef is the KING of meats... nextto Deer
    never had lamb chops until a couple of weeks ago a farm up the road raises goats for milk they also have some sheep she butchered one for a bbq gave me some for home cooking i used my home firepit was absolutley tastey
    we are looking at getting a couple of bucks(male goats) to help keeep my pastures clean my butts getting sore from riding the john deer keeping it clean for the spoiled horses, i know they are escape artists and will eat anything so i may be just trading ridn a tractor for riding a fenceline.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I grew up on my uncles farm and we had goats milk, goat butter, goat cheese ,goat meat and mutton ( that's sheep meat , not dog ) sorry deer sheep and goat rule the meat world .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge Wolf View Post
    Good article Rick.. I have a question though... there are no local stores in my area, that I know of, that sell goats milk. Would you know of any stores (Winco, Safeway, Albertsons types) that sell it? Might be better if I ask around the local area farms here about goats milk... but I think it was last year that we had a couple of scares about raw cows milk and a few people got sick. Here, I am thinking that raw milk off the farms is a no no.
    The stuff from the store is gonna have that horrid 'goat' flavor. Your best bet is to buy it locally.

i have had both and cows i will have again . goats i will not ever have again , i have kept animals most of my life ,love them ,hate goats . goats are the only wantonly destructive animal iv ever had. if i never have another it will be too soon.

I once had a goat team up with a German Shepherd to take me out. They nearly got the job done, too. Goats are chit stirrers. I had seen him talking to the Shepherd but had no idea they were discussing something sinister.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageFarm View Post
    The stuff from the store is gonna have that horrid 'goat' flavor. Your best bet is to buy it locally.
    Depends on what the goat was fed,goats are browsers,(which is why they are so good at cleaning fence rows and woods) BUT it comes with a price if you are going to eat the meat,they will have nearly the same "gamey" taste of a deer if their only diet is browse,if you feed the commercial pellets or even corn,they will lose a lot of the game taste.

Milking does that are allowed to run with a rutting buck will absorb his smell,and it WILL make the milk taste funky.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

They must produce some hormone that affects the taste of the milk when they are around the male. Interesting. I didn't know that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.