Thread: Book

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

Question Book

Hello,
    I am looking for any advice on books to buy for Identifying Edable plants in North America and also the Poisonous plants. If their is a book with both in it that would be great. I have browsed the forums and internet and find so many different books I was hoping an expert could guide me and other users to the best books.
    Thank you

Lots of folks have opinions on this as to what is the "best", so I will offer my opinion as well. I haven't read every book on wild foods, so there may very well be something I have missed. So this is what has worked for me, take it for what it's worth.

The Peterson's guide is usefull in the field. I have noticed some small errors (Like having to boil milkweed in several changes of water, or ground nut having 5-7 leaflets rather than 5-9) but nothing dangerous. It's my go-to field guide.

Next I would recommend both of Samuel Thayers books. Foragers Harvest and Natures Garden. He gives an incredible amount of detail in his plant accounts, wich means he doesn't cover a lot of plants, there simply wouldn't be room. But both good books. 50 pages on acorns alone!

I have learned many wild edibles also from Francois Couplan's Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America. This is the book I go to when I have identified a plant and don't know if it's edible. I don't use it to ID plants, there aren't good descriptions, drawings or photos, there wouldn't be room. He covers over four thousand plants. A very usefull book.

As far as Euell Gibbons books go. They are classics. I enjoy reading them and they contain much usefull information. Just don't go the direction of most wild food authors and assume he is infallible. He isn't. None of us are. But lots of good info in his books you won't find elsewhere.

As for mushrooms, I have a decent collection all with there up and down sides. but the two I gravitate to most are Simon and schuster's guide to mushroms and National Audubon field guide. Simon and schuster's guide has the best key available. Learn that key and you can ID almost any mushroom that's IDable. The rest of the book is useless IMO. National Audubon is nice because it lists the "look alikes" for each mushroom it covers so once you have found the mushroom you think you have you can compare the characteristics with those who look similar.

Whether mushrooms or plants, I recommend taking the time to study the keys and glossary. It may seem tedious at first, but once you understand the terminology being used in your guide it will make the process much faster. I hope this helps Kosuki.

mark

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountainmark View Post
    Lots of folks have opinions on this as to what is the "best", so I will offer my opinion as well. I haven't read every book on wild foods, so there may very well be something I have missed. So this is what has worked for me, take it for what it's worth.

The Peterson's guide is usefull in the field. I have noticed some small errors (Like having to boil milkweed in several changes of water, or ground nut having 5-7 leaflets rather than 5-9) but nothing dangerous. It's my go-to field guide.

Next I would recommend both of Samuel Thayers books. Foragers Harvest and Natures Garden. He gives an incredible amount of detail in his plant accounts, wich means he doesn't cover a lot of plants, there simply wouldn't be room. But both good books. 50 pages on acorns alone!

I have learned many wild edibles also from Francois Couplan's Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America. This is the book I go to when I have identified a plant and don't know if it's edible. I don't use it to ID plants, there aren't good descriptions, drawings or photos, there wouldn't be room. He covers over four thousand plants. A very usefull book.

As far as Euell Gibbons books go. They are classics. I enjoy reading them and they contain much usefull information. Just don't go the direction of most wild food authors and assume he is infallible. He isn't. None of us are. But lots of good info in his books you won't find elsewhere.

As for mushrooms, I have a decent collection all with there up and down sides. but the two I gravitate to most are Simon and schuster's guide to mushroms and National Audubon field guide. Simon and schuster's guide has the best key available. Learn that key and you can ID almost any mushroom that's IDable. The rest of the book is useless IMO. National Audubon is nice because it lists the "look alikes" for each mushroom it covers so once you have found the mushroom you think you have you can compare the characteristics with those who look similar.

Whether mushrooms or plants, I recommend taking the time to study the keys and glossary. It may seem tedious at first, but once you understand the terminology being used in your guide it will make the process much faster. I hope this helps Kosuki.

mark
    Perfect Thank You
    "What Defines A God,
    The Powers They Behold,
    Or How They Wield Them?"

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

* PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT *

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I posted this just a few days ago: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...881-More-books

Enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuki View Post
    Perfect Thank You
    Your welcome. San Luis Obispo Seems like a nice town. I took my Leadership Training course there back when I was in the CCC. Good memories