Thread: Tactical Bacon?

Default Tactical Bacon?

Paging thru the SG catalog, I get about 4 a week......found this, Tactical (?) Bacon:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...aspx?a=1009689

I don't know what's tactical about it, I'm guessing the word tactical is worth about $10 bucks?...... supposed to last 10 years....says it can't be returned unless truely defective....????, So 10 years from now you open it and ...yeah/no???
    Makes me wonder.

It's like a lable that says "only open in case of Nuke attack, if defective send it back"...whatttt?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Wow, that would go great with Survivor gravy, I'm excited

This gives me an idea. I bet if you fully cook bacon and then dehydrate it and vacuum seal it, it will keep for a long time. I just bought the excaliber dehydrator a few months ago and have been thinking of things to dry and you just gave me this idea, thanks!

make sure it says tactical on them and it will keep for 10 years....or so I'm told....
    Great idea, let us know how it works.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You can fully cook bacon, place it in a crockey jar, then cover it with lard of fill the jar with bacon fat and it will keep indefinately.

Pimmican used to be stored like that. Shreaded meat and berries mixed with tallow and cut into squares for storage.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tactical bacon is used when you don't want nefarious friends (we know who you are) sneaking up and stealing it on the pretext of "tasting", "testing", "protecting you from bad food" or any of the other dumb excuses they come up with. Oh, yes, they are even dumber when it comes to bacon than they are when you catch them drinking your beer. I won't go into what happens if they try with the bacon. If you don't know then you are one of the ones we are protecting against.

On dehydrating bacon, I don't think you're going to have much luck because it's a high fat food. Pork doesn't dehydrate well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You can fully cook bacon, place it in a crockey jar, then cover it with lard of fill the jar with bacon fat and it will keep indefinately.

Pimmican used to be stored like that. Shreaded meat and berries mixed with tallow and cut into squares for storage.
    Hummmm sounds like the original "Pork barrel" that made the trip to California in '49, I had even heard/read that eggs could be included in the lard if sealed with isinglass.

I tried to Google this and all that comes up is a a WHOLE lot of political BS....but yeah I have heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Tactical bacon is used when you don't want nefarious friends (we know who you are) sneaking up and stealing it on the pretext of "tasting", "testing", "protecting you from bad food" or any of the other dumb excuses they come up with. Oh, yes, they are even dumber when it comes to bacon than they are when you catch them drinking your beer. I won't go into what happens if they try with the bacon. If you don't know then you are one of the ones we are protecting against.

On dehydrating bacon, I don't think you're going to have much luck because it's a high fat food. Pork doesn't dehydrate well.
    I'll have you know that there is no such thing as a dumb excuse when it comes to scoring bacon and beer........as long as it works.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yoders is about the same thing. http://www.mrefoods.com/cart/product.asp?proref=ycbn In the 6 pack, you get 40-50 slices for around $13 a can, compared to TacBacon at $15.99 for 54 slices.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

YOu can dehydrate eggs in your dehydrator its best to scramble them raw then dehydrate. After that is done take the dried egg into a food processor and powder them. To cook rehydrate cook as usual. Works great.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by techiedude View Post
    YOu can dehydrate eggs in your dehydrator its best to scramble them raw then dehydrate. After that is done take the dried egg into a food processor and powder them. To cook rehydrate cook as usual. Works great.
    I tried that and they kept dripping through the screens of my dehydrator!

I found a good link for your "pork barrel" contents, as well as beef brining and mutton.

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhar...e-Frontier.htm

I have preserved meat on the farm and I do not see a single bit of wild myth or unsound advice in this article. Even the salt ratios are about what we used to use when I was helping G-Dad. However, if he put salt peter in the mix he did it when I was not looking and I do not remember it having any effect on me!

That or I really needed a claming influnce in my life. Lord above what would I have been like without it?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-08-2012 at 02:39 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I tried that and they kept dripping through the screens of my dehydrator!

I found a good link for your "pork barrel" contents, as well as beef brining and mutton.

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckhar...e-Frontier.htm

I have preserved meat on the farm and I do not see a single bit of wild myth or unsound advice in this article. Even the salt ratios are about what we used to use when I was helping G-Dad. However, if he put salt peter in the mix he did it when I was not looking and I do not remember it having any effect on me!

That or I really needed a claming influnce in my life. Lord above what would I have been like without it?
    I bet that is sailing over a bunch of heads right now.....LOL

Anyway thanks for the site, I'm still trying to remember where i saw the part about the eggs....that article refer to packing in fine ground corn meal.

That story I had remembered had lard pork, and the eggs packed in a barrel, in layers.....so you could use the lard, meat and eggs on the trip......In this case it was a wagon train to califorina....and as i remember the people that did that, didn't look for gold, but stated a resturant with the supplies they brought along, getting their gold from the prospectors as payment from the years old pork and eggs.

This has always sorta intrigued me as a "no refrigeration" method of preserving foods.

So if this rings a bell with anyone, I would like a reference for the "pork barrel"

BTW, I showed this ad for the canned bacon to DW, and she says, Oh yeah I used to buy that years ago, don't you remember?......must be getting old as I don't remember that or didn't pay attention at the time....Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

+1 on that. Neither real bacon nor turkey bacon taste edible once you have dehydrated them. It gives them a really nasty off-taste that will make you wish you just hadn't wasted a whole pack of bacony goodness on this experiment. LOL.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I also have seen canned butter in a supermarket in Ontario years ago. I did not buy it at the time and when to buy some several years later, they no longer had it. I remember that it was labeled a product of Denmark. I read some where that it was developed for northern europeans living in the tropics, who wanted butter to eat or cook with.
    Up date: Should have googled before I posted!! Lots of canned butter available ! !!
    Last edited by Old Professor; 08-08-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: New information

In reply to Theocrat's post above, dehydrating as you described won't work. Bacon has way too much fat, it will go rancid. You could put the vacuum sealed bacon in the freezer, then get it out as needed. It would keep for a week or more without refrigeration I'm sure. On the other hand, the "REady bacon" found in many brands in supermarkets is shelf stable, not too expensive, and lighter than the Yoder's or Tac bacon (which I have tried. I also saw some instructions for canning bacon yourself somewhere, looking for the link
    Last edited by dscrick; 08-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Found the link, from a "Backwoods Home" article.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gay127.html

Blog Entries

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Why would you even need to store bacon for 10 years? Bacon does not last 10 seconds in my house. I will stick to honey qnd rice before storing bacon away for so long that is sinful.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    Why would you even need to store bacon for 10 years? Bacon does not last 10 seconds in my house. I will stick to honey qnd rice before storing bacon away for so long that is sinful.
    If you want to store bacon for 10 years....better raise pigs.....or take up wildpig hunting.

Bacon is good. So making it tactical has to be better, right? haha! Is the bacon packed in water or oil or just folded up in a can? Seems kind of weird to me.
    I love hiking, backpacking, and camping.
    http://www.adventurestrong.com